Saturday TeaRoom 10/11/08 Caffeine fiend?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Be honest, how important do you think CAFFEINE is to your tea enjoyment? Are you a caffeine fiend?

I am a caffeine fiend. Caffeine is most important to tea enjoyment
5%
I am a borderline fiend
12%
I like the caffeine but find other things more important than the caffeine
42%
I can live with or without the caffeine
29%
I don't like the caffeine in tea
2%
Other
10%

Total votes: 59

Oct 11th, '08, 13:41

by bambooforest » Oct 11th, '08, 13:41

Everyone knows what Cha qi is >_>

Oct 11th, '08, 13:44

by kymidwife » Oct 11th, '08, 13:44

I've wanted to understand cha qi better also, and found this interesting livejournal with pu jargon... learned several new words that I can't pronounce and probably won't remember, but it was a nice reference:

http://community.livejournal.com/puerh_tea/42635.html

For those who don't wanna follow the link and read allll the jargon, here is the writer's interpretation of cha qi:

cha qi 茶氣(or just qi) -- literally the "qi" (or in some cases "chi) of the tea (cha). It's a pretty elusive concept, and some will dispute whether such thing exists at all, but essentially, it is a quality that some people look for when buying puerh (or any tea in general) and can be most conveniently translated as the power of the tea. Immediate effects of a tea having strong qi is that it makes you sweat, usually in the back (especially lower back) and you feel a sort of rush/buzz that comes from the tea. It is independent of the caffeine and temperature of the water, or at least it should.
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Oct 11th, '08, 13:53

by kongni » Oct 11th, '08, 13:53

Thanks for the explanation of cha qi kymidwife! Very interesting.

I am no doubt a caffeine addict. That said, I defintely like to drink tea that has little or no caffeine in the evenings. Like chip, I like to have the third or so steep of a sencha from earlier in the day or a nice kukicha, hojicha, barley tea, or ginger tea. Now that it's getting colder, ginger tea seems to be soooo appealing! :D

Yunnan this afternoon. Yunnan is DEFinitely high in cha qi!

Oct 11th, '08, 13:53

by geeber1 » Oct 11th, '08, 13:53

Thanks for the link and info Sarah.

I edited my last post, my reply was very snappish, sorry bambooforest, if you saw it. I didn't mean to be rude. But, if I had known what Cha qi was, I wouldn't have asked for an explanation. Some of us are less knowledgeable than others, that's one of the reasons we're here. :)
Last edited by geeber1 on Oct 11th, '08, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 11th, '08, 13:54

by chad » Oct 11th, '08, 13:54

Since I drink the tea at work I appreciate the caffeine lift. I used to be a HUGE coffee drinker - rotating shift work, etc. I weaned myself off completely about 10 years ago and we've been using decaf options for iced tea for years due to my wife's propensity to fibroid cysts.

However, I managed a restaurant for a few years and go back into the high test coffee and sodas. When I went back to IT I weaned myself back to about 3 cups a day. I wasn't much of a tea drinker due to my mobile job.

I've appreciated the tea option the last few weeks. I drink less caffeine due to the choices I make in teas. However, I don't choose low/no caffeine teas through the day for the no/low caffeine -- it's all about flavor. Now, in the evening it IS a choice...and out come the herbals!!

I've loved my time with this forum and have learned much. I appreciate everyone's passion, humor, and insight.

Alas, no tea today...yet!! Been doing weekly shopping and cleaning so started with my 100% arabica coffee charge this morning. We're having comany tonight so I've broken out the espresso machine, but I'll have several tea choices available, too.

Oct 11th, '08, 14:20
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 11th, '08, 14:20

Heh, cha qi is one of those abstract tea "thangs" that I have tried not to think about too much. That and "umami" to name two. Cha qi is not usually not mentioned in the same sentence as sencha, thus I never really focused on it. Though I suppose it may be present after drinking sencha as well.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 11th, '08, 14:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Oct 11th, '08, 14:26

kymidwife wrote: PANTRY, not panty
Yes, that does change the emphasis of your post ... quite a bit actually.

Also, good work, Sarah, at digging up that definition of "cha qi".
bambooforest wrote: Everyone knows what Cha qi is >_>
Like Bamboo says ... It's one of those everyone knows = no one knows things! "Qi" is an old Chinese concept that means something like "life force". It goes from the earth through the roots of the tea plant into the leaves and eventually into the drinker. Lew Perrin's Babelcarp defines it as, "cha qi = (茶气 or 茶氣) in Chinese medicine and Taoism, the vital energy in tea." Wikipedia does actually have a pretty long discussion of the concept of qi itself.

I used to be 100% skeptical that such a feeling ever happens in tea drinking, but I have come to be less so. Of course, as a good Western empiricist I feel that chemistry and physiology explain it all ... if only we knew enough about both!

Some tea offerings generate the qi experience more than others, and puerh consumers seem often to agree that, for instance, XYZ cake has a lot of qi and ABC cake has little. I personally would say that most sencha has a pretty good qi kick, btw.

To kymidwife's nice quotation, I would add that
  • 1) besides making you sweat, qi imparts a feeling of well being
    2) if you are quiet and paying attention, you are more likely to notice the qi.

Oct 11th, '08, 14:29

by UncleIroh » Oct 11th, '08, 14:29

hi, i'm new, and this is my first teaday :) caffiene content isn't something i really notice (except in the case of excessive matcha consumption!). i've never been a big coffee person, and i can't stand red bull or any of its ilk, either. i think i'm too tightly wound already to seek out stimulants, but i rarely feel any such effect from my senchas. a warm lazy mellowness that may or may not be a theanine high, yes, but heavy caffienated wiredness, not so much.
~sean

Oct 11th, '08, 15:34

by olivierco » Oct 11th, '08, 15:34

I am not very sensitive to caffeine. Even when I have gyokuro or koicha I don't feel the caffeine kick anymore.

Miyabi sencha to end the day.

Oct 11th, '08, 15:36

by murrius » Oct 11th, '08, 15:36

kymidwife wrote:Ahahahahahahahahaha.... I'm not even going to edit that to fix it, it's too funny.

But for anyone who didn't know what i meant.... :shock: PANTRY, not panty :shock:

Sarah (still laughing) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my, thank you! I haven't laughed that hard all week.

Oct 11th, '08, 15:54

by Beidao » Oct 11th, '08, 15:54

UncleIroh wrote: a warm lazy mellowness that may or may not be a theanine high, yes, but heavy caffienated wiredness, not so much.
That is in fact extactly what I mean with Cha Qi on the few occasions when I use that word. Calming at first, then making you more awake. I drink a tea now that gives much of this effect - Selected Oolong from Ying Kee Tea House. I'm very annoyed that it doesn't say WHAT sort of selected oolong this is, and also the smell of the dry leaves is awful. But the tea is interesting and - when brewed just right - awesome.

Earlier today I've been drinking Tai Tung Premium "Hao Xian" and 2008 Spring Nantou Jade Oolong from Hou De. Also good ol' Yunnan Gold and probably something else that I've already forgotten about.

Yesterday I had two people over, very nice to marinate them in tea while talking and eating dark chocolate :P
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Oct 11th, '08, 16:18

by leiche » Oct 11th, '08, 16:18

I'm not the least bit caffeine sensitive, so it's not even a factor for me. I drink tea for the taste.

I'm just now getting back into the swing of things after a dreadful week, which has seen far less tea consumption than I'm used to.

Assam Harmutty to begin my day, and am just finishing a cup of Ceylon Kenilworth from Plucker's Pick -- fairly bland and forgettable, but smooth and ultimately unoffensive and drinkable.

Oct 11th, '08, 16:33

by eor1122 » Oct 11th, '08, 16:33

I don't drink tea for caffeine, I don't think I really "need" caffeine. But I'm finding as time goes buy I might be having issues with too much caffeine. Although I'm not sure, because I don't have the same problem as I do when I drink lots of soda, so I don't know.

nothing in my cup yet :cry:

I just got home after a long day out and about. My church had a blood drive today that I helped out with....I finally was able to donate double reds :D (so much for worrying about tannins and my iron level) and then one of my daughter's had a party to go to.

I think I'm going to have some Belgian Chocolate Rooibos.

Oct 11th, '08, 16:47

by caligatia » Oct 11th, '08, 16:47

I like coffee once in a while, but it's hard on my stomach and makes me way too jittery.

I tried the Adagio Yunnan jig, which was meh. I think I need bolder teas than that. The Darjeeling #22 and the Irish breakfast are keeping me happy, though. I need to get more of the former, plus some more Ceylon sonata for DH. We both like it, but he LOVES it. :)

Oct 11th, '08, 16:56

by eor1122 » Oct 11th, '08, 16:56

hmmm while we are all on the subject of caffeine

I have read a couple of articles about removing caffeine yourself from tea by brewing for 30 seconds, then discarding the water from that first infusion and then brew for the suggested amount of time.

My question (and forgive me if I should be asking someplace else) would a second infusion (well I guess it would really be a third) infusion also be decaffeinated or would you have to do the thirty second infusion, discard and do a 'full' infusion.

If I confused anyone I'm sorry. But I was thinking if the subsequent 'normal' infusions are decaffeinated that would explain why I don't have issues with soda (because it isnt' a caffeine problem) and that it would be something else either relating to or possibly not at all with the amount of tea that I drink (I drink sometimes on the average of 4-6 16oz mugs of tea a day)