Pu-erh Knife

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 13th, '08, 00:00

by tenuki » Oct 13th, '08, 00:00

I have a antique oyster knife from japan that does the job great. I also have toucha pick I use often. A lot of my older cakes don't require anything.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jan 2nd, '12, 15:59

Re: Pu-erh Knife

by debunix » Jan 2nd, '12, 15:59

Waking up this topic for a slightly off-topic question:

At work, I'm often pressed for time when I start brewing for the afternoon thermos. Once I get a highly compressed bit of puerh into the pot or gaiwan, and it's had it's first wetting, I sometimes would like to pick it apart a little bit, to open it further and speed up the release of goodness from ALL of the leaves.

Is there any sort of traditional tool for this, besides just more patience? It should be relatively blunt, to not cut the leaves, not too sharp, to minimize risk to the pot/gaiwan, but a little sturdier than the bamboo skewers I sometimes resort to.

Jan 3rd, '12, 15:04

by teaisme » Jan 3rd, '12, 15:04

how bout a pair of chopsticks with one of them having a sharpened point?

Jan 3rd, '12, 17:27

by Chasen » Jan 3rd, '12, 17:27

teaisme wrote:how bout a pair of chopsticks with one of them having a sharpened point?

Great idea, teaisme! I'm just now getting into Puerh and received my first package from PurePuer today, 10 different types, mostly green.

Jan 3rd, '12, 20:08

by debunix » Jan 3rd, '12, 20:08

Good idea.....hmmm.....maybe this is a good excuse to get out a saw and play with some nice wood to make a pretty version.

Jan 3rd, '12, 20:25

by Catfur » Jan 3rd, '12, 20:25

teaisme wrote:how bout a pair of chopsticks with one of them having a sharpened point?
I've pried into some seriously tough tuos and cakes, a wood knife/prybar wouldn't cut it on a lot of them. I think something metal is best.

Jan 3rd, '12, 20:27

by shah82 » Jan 3rd, '12, 20:27

Nanning isn't really a very dry place, is it?

I think one element of puerh aging that isn't talked about enough is elevation above sea level.

Jan 3rd, '12, 21:15

by debunix » Jan 3rd, '12, 21:15

Catfur wrote:
I've pried into some seriously tough tuos and cakes, a wood knife/prybar wouldn't cut it on a lot of them. I think something metal is best.
What I was asking about this time is something to gently pry apart leaves of puerh that is already wetting in the pot/gaiwan/kamjove device--not a situation where I want to use a sharp metal implement.....more a pick than a knife for this situation.

I do need a couple of good puerh knives, too, for the super-compressed puerh bricks that are resistent to my letter opener or simple fork.

+ Post Reply