Monday TeaDay 10/13/08 TeaChat and personal journey?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic was from an anon who wondered when you were a new member to TeaChat, how much did TeaChat help you in your personal tea journey?

TeaChat helped tremendously when I joined
49%
TeaChat did help me when I joined
43%
Maybe it helped
6%
I do not think it helped
No votes
No, it did not help me when I joined
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 53

Oct 13th, '08, 13:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 13:19

omegapd wrote:I had no idea what Pu-erh was...and now it's my favorite. Thanks TeaChat!
:shock:
Darn ... I was keeping Pu-ehr a secret, hoping you would join the Oolongonians!
I do find a little irony in the fact that your favorite Pu-erhs remind you of oolongs.
Heh.
:twisted:

Oct 13th, '08, 13:28

by auggy » Oct 13th, '08, 13:28

Tremendous help - when I started and still now. I've been introduced to new teas, given help on how to brew picky ones, and just gotten a great overall chance to get to know more about tea. The journey has been much more fun taking it with everyone here instead of by myself.

No tea yet this morning, uh afternoon, but I'm about to have some orchid oolong.

Oct 13th, '08, 13:39

by olivierco » Oct 13th, '08, 13:39

Kanro gyokuro (Ippodo, one of the stores I discovered thanks to teachat) just after dinner.

Oct 13th, '08, 14:32

by chamekke » Oct 13th, '08, 14:32

Yes, TeaChat helped tremendously when I joined back in April. It is still helping. I am amazed by how much I have learned on this terrific forum, and how much there is yet to be learned.

As someone else mentioned, I too don't have many friends locally that I can share my tea passion with. So I also deeply treasure TeaChat for the tea community and friendship found here - not just the wealth of information.

By the way, warmest Thanksgiving wishes to my fellow Canadian TeaChatters ... and Happy Columbus Day to all you folks down south :D

Last night was very exciting. The lower half of Vancouver Island lost all power right around dinnertime (very possibly the result of hundreds of thousands of ovens simultaneously baking turkeys!). Power was restored to most of our region after only an hour or so, but there's still no word on what caused the outage. Hubby and I are having our Thanksgiving meal tonight, so I think we'll try to prepare ours just a little earlier than usual... just in case... and have plenty of candles at hand!

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Oct 13th, '08, 14:38

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 14:38

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to Chamekke and all our Canadian Teachatters!!

MMMMMMMMMMM Turkey!!!!!

Busy day today - taking a break and having some wonderful Baozhong from TeaMasters - I sometimes forget how great this one is.

Oct 13th, '08, 14:38

by Trioxin » Oct 13th, '08, 14:38

Victoria wrote:
Wosret wrote:TeaChat has been helpful to me, yes. I do find it difficult, sometimes, because it seems as though (and that recent poll confirmed it) that there's a heavy preference towards greens, oolongs, and pur-eh, which I'm not ready to explore yet. I love my black teas and my English teaware, so I don't think TeaChat has been as helpful for me as it might have been otherwise.

Not a criticism, just an observation.
When I got here, no one was talking much about oolongs. The forum buzz was mostly about greens. The fact that you stated it is now about greens AND oolongs AND puerh, shows how much we have grown over this past year.

You black tea lovers who want more - need to make it happen. Step out and do it. Start a black tea box pass, start posting in the black tea forum, if you want more English teaware pics, start posting your pics.
It is amazing how the Pu-erh and Oolong forums have grown in just the short time that I've been here. In march us pu-heads where the outsiders. As much as it pains me to say it though, I have been discovering the wonders of Oolong lately and may start posting more frequently in the Oolong forum. Guess I'm becoming an Oo-pu-head.

Oct 13th, '08, 14:46

by chamekke » Oct 13th, '08, 14:46

I'd really love it if the black tea fans here would speak up a bit more about their passion!

While I like black tea, I haven't discovered too many black teas that thrill me in the same way that certain greens and oolongs do. However, I'd be delighted to learn of some that would. Please - feel free to try and turn me to the Dark Side! :twisted:

And teawares for black tea are always of interest. Hit us with your warez :wink:

Oct 13th, '08, 14:48

by cheaton » Oct 13th, '08, 14:48

In a 2 months period I've gone from brewing ok Oolongs in a 17oz bodum assam pot, to brewing premium Oolongs in yixing. Though my tea journey didn't start here, it has certianly sent it a different direction.

Oct 13th, '08, 14:51

by Katrina » Oct 13th, '08, 14:51

TeaChat has been such a great resource. Thanks to all of you others obsessed with tea who help me continue to learn.

A year ago I had never touched a gaiwan or kyuusu. I had never tasted sencha or pu-erh and only owned one oolong. Wow. What a journey.

Brewing a high mountain green oolong today.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Oct 13th, '08, 14:58

by leiche » Oct 13th, '08, 14:58

TeaChat has been (and is!) a tremendous resource for me. I love this forum. It's certainly broadened my horizons.

Perhaps people don't talk about black tea as much because it's sort of a default thing? I mean, I start every day with a cup of some black or another, which I love, and turn to it even more when I'm feeling sick. It's always there.

Settling in with a cup of Wuyi Amber from Red Blossom, and a slice of chocolate Guinness cake.

Oct 13th, '08, 15:13

by UncleIroh » Oct 13th, '08, 15:13

i'm so new that i've still got that new-car smell, but teachat has already been both informative and inspiring. my first experience with sencha involved leaf from teavana (which may have been my first mistake right there), which i promptly boiled and steeped for five minutes, black tea style. if not for the brewing info on this forum, i might have concluded that i hated sencha and never come back to it. but i did, with techniques improved by the experience and knowledge shared here, and now it's a daily companion. so thank you, teachat!

Oct 13th, '08, 15:41

by Trey Winston » Oct 13th, '08, 15:41

My sincerest thanks for the congratulations on my anniversary. Who'd a' thunk a year could go by that fast. It has been a year full of tea, mostly white, but also blacks and greens, because all you people with your wonderful addictions have inspired me to try new stuff. I have learned so much here on TeaChat!

(Wow, playing with size and color is fun. I must do it more often.)

Oct 13th, '08, 15:53

by Chip » Oct 13th, '08, 15:53

I was sitting here reading all the interesting posts and it occured to me ... TeaChat is definitely an express lane, a short cut ... no, a very direct route in one's personal TeaJourney. I have honestly seen newer members learn more in 6 months here on TC than I did in 6 years learning on my own without TC, mainly through all the detours that vendors tend to create.
UncleIroh wrote: ... my first experience with sencha involved leaf from teavana (which may have been my first mistake right there), which i promptly boiled and steeped for five minutes ... if not for the brewing info on this forum, i might have concluded that i hated sencha and never come back to it. but i did, with techniques improved by the experience and knowledge shared here, and now it's a daily companion. so thank you, teachat!
Related to this thought, listening to vendors brewing directions, etc can retard that growth considerably. As I read newbie, UncleIroh's post, it reminded me of my very first green from RoT I ever had. Sky Between the Branches. The directions on the label said boiling water. That was nasty brew. It is amazing how we seem to have more TeaSmarts here than the "pros."

I think almost all of us have had sencha help on TeaChat!

Oct 13th, '08, 16:37

by Shelob » Oct 13th, '08, 16:37

Thanks Victoria for the encouraging words! Hope I will be celebrating my 1st year on TeaDay next year at this time.

Congrats Trey on your 1st Anniversary! Here's wishing you many many more happy years with your tea friends! And many, many more cuppas!

Haven't had time for another cuppa, very busy day, need to keep moving maybe something black! :twisted:

Oct 13th, '08, 16:58

by laran7 » Oct 13th, '08, 16:58

chamekke wrote:Yes, TeaChat helped tremendously when I joined back in April. It is still helping. I am amazed by how much I have learned on this terrific forum, and how much there is yet to be learned.

As someone else mentioned, I too don't have many friends locally that I can share my tea passion with. So I also deeply treasure TeaChat for the tea community and friendship found here - not just the wealth of information.
You put it very well Chamekke - I had no idea how much I did not know until I
logged into Teachat and started trying to learn from what people said.

I've learned about thermometers, that brewing "parameters" ( ed. sp.) differ, how much better loose tea is than bagged - freshness matters and that tea varies with the harvest. What I really want to get is a glass tea maker that will control the temparature and brewing time for me; ( I used to think it a terrible waste of money - but I've had enough experience with correctly brewing something and not - that now I understand the point.)

I am still sipping Darjeeling today.
Last edited by laran7 on Oct 13th, '08, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.