Wednesday TeaDay 10/29/08 Cooler weather tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

The weather was reported to be chillin' yesterday by many TeaChatters. Are your tea choices changing with the weather?

Yes, most certainly, pretty drastically
11%
Yes, changing a bit
40%
Maybe
13%
I don't think so
15%
No, definitely not
22%

Total votes: 55

Oct 29th, '08, 14:09

by UncleIroh » Oct 29th, '08, 14:09

i do enjoy teas that brew at a warmer temperature when the weather gets colder. however, that can be a relative thing in california. i envy those of you who are seeing signs of winter! i love cold and wet weather-- probably a luxury based in having been born & raised in sunny socal. it was 90 degrees here yesterday, so i doubt i'll be digging into anything other than my standard, tolerable-in-the-ungodly-heat sencha today. :D

Oct 29th, '08, 15:11

by teaguru » Oct 29th, '08, 15:11

I'm already starting to see the difference in my tea choices. I'm getting away from the fruity and green teas and getting into nutty and black and creamy ones. And I've also starting adding milk to more of my teas...something I don't usually do unless I'm looking for a 'cosy' drink.

I'll still be enjoying the odd fruity tea (especially since I'm expecting an order from Adagio any time now :D ), but I don't think I'll be reaching for it as much as I did back in the summer.

I'm sipping away at a mug full of Rainbow Rooibos right now in hopes that it will help settle my stomach. It seems that the Flu Shot I got today hasn't really agreed with me the best.

Edit: Huzzah! I just called home and my package slip arrived in the mail! Tomorrow shall be a day full of Adagio tea stuffs!

Oct 29th, '08, 15:25

Re: Daily cuppa and poll

by daughteroftheKing » Oct 29th, '08, 15:25

treazure wrote:... get off the roads now or beware blind old bat hunched over steering wheel and a younger man with his hair standing on end and screaming "Dear God, we're all gonna die!"
HAHAHAHA! I almost spewed tea all over the monitor when I read that!! :lol:
(More seriouis note though -- I don't know what a nerve ablation is, but it doesn't sound pleasant. Hope DS#4 is ok.)

Cooler weather has me bringing out the Chai and particular teas like Pumpkin & Chestnut more often, especially in the mornings. Our days this week have been in the 70's and nights in 30's (front range Colorado weather is great!).
That said, it's funny that lately I've been drinking more white and light green. This morning I discovered a forgotten tin of Snowbud in the back of the tea cabinet. So nice.
This afternoon enjoying the last of my Pouchong, in fact it wasn't quite enough and had to supplement it with TKY. Works for me.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Oct 29th, '08, 15:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Oct 29th, '08, 15:47

Susana wrote: Image
Great photo Susana. Thanks and welcome!
CynTEAa wrote: Also my overall tea consumption increases.
Prolly to keep that tiny flame of life from going out in the freeeeeezing cold!
auggy wrote: those fish simultaneously freak me out and compel me to own them.
They tickle as they go down and make plashing sounds in your tummy for a couple of hours.
geeber1 wrote: Sal, love the colors in your photo today. Very relaxing.
Thank you.
jasonowalker wrote: Yes, Today is pu'er bought in China. ... possibly a lao cha tou. I'm using an yixing pot that was a wedding gift, and has my and my wife's name etched in the bottom by the creator.
Cool teapot. Lao Cha Tou has a lot of fans around here. Welcome, welcome to the forum. Don't be shy about posting all your most intimate secrets in the Welcome to TeaChat thread. (**cackle, cackle**)
Smari wrote: Now that my test results from the doctor came in, I was advised to lay off the caffiene until my hemoglobin levels are up again.
Good luck with that. Maybe you could bribe the doctor to change your sentence to something lighter? Guess that could be counterproductive. You know we're all cheering your hemoglobin on.

"Go Smari's Hemo! Be a Hemo Hero!"

Oct 29th, '08, 16:43

by olivierco » Oct 29th, '08, 16:43

Rooibos to end the day.

Oct 29th, '08, 17:12

by TeaCompulsion » Oct 29th, '08, 17:12

I don't really know yet how my preferences will change with the seasons. Cold weather hasn't changed anything so far.

Today I tried a lily flower baozhong from Stephane Erler for the first time. I don't think I did it right; I mostly got lily-flavored water.

Oct 29th, '08, 17:54

by Smari » Oct 29th, '08, 17:54

Salsero wrote:
Smari wrote: Now that my test results from the doctor came in, I was advised to lay off the caffiene until my hemoglobin levels are up again.
Good luck with that. Maybe you could bribe the doctor to change your sentence to something lighter? Guess that could be counterproductive. You know we're all cheering your hemoglobin on.

"Go Smari's Hemo! Be a Hemo Hero!"
Aww, thanks a bunch Sal, I really needed that. :lol:
I need to triple my iron intake now- which is really hard since I'm a vegetarian. But I'll do anything for my tea. I know my poor babies are already missing me, which I'd hate to have go to waste. If it takes longer than I think to get back to normal, I will have to start sending away my oolongs and greens to their new homes :(

Oct 29th, '08, 17:59

by Victoria » Oct 29th, '08, 17:59

Trey Winston wrote:I voted "maybe". We awoke to snow today, and I can't help but notice that I'm sitting here with a pot of oolong :shock: . I must be very sensitive to the weather, but subconsciously and unbeknownst to myself.
{oolong}
{oolong}
{oolong}

... it's working!!!!

Oct 29th, '08, 19:06

by auggy » Oct 29th, '08, 19:06

Pentox wrote:I have a rather marked change that I make when I gets cold enough. I tend to have more black teas in the winter, and I cold brew less. A piping hot cup of darjeeling just doesn't seem right when it's 110 outside.
Mmm, 110 degrees. Mind, it was 76 this afternoon, so that's good, but this morning it was in the 40s. I'm ready for summer again.
Smari wrote:Thanks Auggy :) It's hard trying to just stay up without any caffiene. Have you tried some ginger tea? That usually fights my colds, whenever it decides to show up. Hope you get better!
Hmm, I do have some bagged around here that I use to mix in with iced tea (1 bag per gallon only) to give it a tang. I'm not sure if I'm daring enough to drink it straight, though!
Salsero wrote:
auggy wrote: those fish simultaneously freak me out and compel me to own them.
They tickle as they go down and make plashing sounds in your tummy for a couple of hours.
:lol: Funny! That reminds me of my first trip to a grocery store in Japan. On one of the aisle ends they had a Styrofoam cooler of water with fish swimming in it. Being from the south, I naturally thought it was bait and was rather confused.

Off to get some Tai Ping Monkey King. For some reason, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II is on TV. And I'm watching it. :shock:

Oct 29th, '08, 19:15

by Pentox » Oct 29th, '08, 19:15

auggy wrote:Mmm, 110 degrees. Mind, it was 76 this afternoon, so that's good, but this morning it was in the 40s. I'm ready for summer again.

:lol: Funny! That reminds me of my first trip to a grocery store in Japan. On one of the aisle ends they had a Styrofoam cooler of water with fish swimming in it. Being from the south, I naturally thought it was bait and was rather confused.
Psh you can have 110 degree weather, i'm glad to be done with it. I dread the return of summer around here.

Hm, bait , lunch, what's the difference?

Oct 29th, '08, 19:22

by auggy » Oct 29th, '08, 19:22

Pentox wrote:
auggy wrote:Mmm, 110 degrees. Mind, it was 76 this afternoon, so that's good, but this morning it was in the 40s. I'm ready for summer again.
Psh you can have 110 degree weather, i'm glad to be done with it. I dread the return of summer around here.
Yeah, I'll start complaining about the heat about July, especially if it is as humid as this last summer. But I would much much rather be too hot than too cold. Something I usually remember about the first day below 50.

Oct 29th, '08, 19:32

by Victoria » Oct 29th, '08, 19:32

I voted maybe, but I'm not sure it's the weather. Mornings and evenings are much cooler here but the days remain constant, still in the 80's. But, there is something about black tea in the cooler mornings.

Oolongs are a constant, but I have really been enjoying my foray into whites and Darjeeling and Nilgiri. So I think it's more likely a natural TeaEvolution; wanting to try new things, learn about new teas.

In my cup this afternoon: TeaMasters Baozhong

Oct 29th, '08, 21:34

by Cinnamon Kitty » Oct 29th, '08, 21:34

auggy wrote:
Smari wrote:Thanks Auggy :) It's hard trying to just stay up without any caffiene. Have you tried some ginger tea? That usually fights my colds, whenever it decides to show up. Hope you get better!
Hmm, I do have some bagged around here that I use to mix in with iced tea (1 bag per gallon only) to give it a tang. I'm not sure if I'm daring enough to drink it straight, though!
I will second the ginger. I like using fresh ginger root, cut into little bits, steeping it with a teaspoon of peppermint, and then adding some honey. Sounds strange, but tastes delicious and is awesome for cleaning out sinuses.

Currently drinking NanTou oolong.

Oct 29th, '08, 22:16

by murrius » Oct 29th, '08, 22:16

My tea choices change with the seasons for sure. Iced green teas are out. I now tend to drink green tea in the morning and am drawn to red/black teas in the evenings.

Sencha Miyabi this morning and Yunnan Golden again this evening. That seems to be my autumn groove.

Oct 29th, '08, 22:24

by kymidwife » Oct 29th, '08, 22:24

Smari: Glad Chip recommended the mugicha... that was going to be my suggestion too. If you can't find any, I found it very easy to roast my own... just buy a bag of pearl barley from your grocery (I paid 89 cents for it) and toast it slowly in a skillet on your stovetop until its a medium brown color with a roasty fragrance. Once it begins to turn golden, it can burn pretty quickly, so stir/turn it frequently and don't let the heat get too high. Mugicha and mugigenmai taste absolutely delicious to me, and are the only decaff alternative I enjoy at all.

I also have an anemia issue... I take Repliva twice daily, and it brought my hemoglobin level up by 2 grams in a month... VERY effective, and minimal side effects. Ask your doc about that one, it's great.

Sal... HEMO read as HOMO to my brain... thought i was going to have to give you a little lecture on tolerance, LOL. Just means I am too tired after working a 14-hour day.

In my cup tonight... Adagios Coconut Pouchong... mmmm.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***