tie guan yin

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 5th, '09, 13:22

by PolyhymnianMuse » Apr 5th, '09, 13:22

tenuki wrote:tea, hot water. this isn't that hard. who cares what other people think is the right way, you are the one who has to drink it.
Thus is the way of life :lol:

Apr 6th, '09, 05:32

by tsverrir » Apr 6th, '09, 05:32

ABx wrote:One step at a time.
One steep at a time

Apr 6th, '09, 16:52

by thanks » Apr 6th, '09, 16:52

tenuki wrote:tea, hot water. this isn't that hard. who cares what other people think is the right way, you are the one who has to drink it.
These are words to live by.

May 3rd, '09, 17:03

by e d o » May 3rd, '09, 17:03

I noticed that Dragon has 2009 Nonprail TGY listed for sale. Could this be possible? Is it not too early? Has anyone found a TGY that is better than Nonprail?

May 3rd, '09, 19:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » May 3rd, '09, 19:07

e d o wrote:I noticed that Dragon has 2009 Nonprail TGY listed for sale. Could this be possible? Is it not too early? Has anyone found a TGY that is better than Nonprail?
It does seem a little early. The sources that I have read suggest that the Spring harvest is normally somewhere between the last 2 weeks of April and the first 2 weeks of May, and another month is needed to process the tea before it is ready for sale.

Perhaps Oni will know, he is a fan of DTH Nonpareil and communicates with IDLU by E-Mail, I believe.
Best wishes from Cheshire

May 3rd, '09, 19:44

by Herb_Master » May 3rd, '09, 19:44

I have e-mailed Wan Ling UK and Rich Barbarian to ask when their Spring 2009 is expected.

Does anyone have any estimates for other suppliers ?

May 4th, '09, 05:35

by xuancheng » May 4th, '09, 05:35

There is plenty of TGY out already. Often the earliest is not the best because the lower altitude bushes flush first, and of course the higher the better!

The good stuff is coming out right about now. I would be at ease purchasing TGY at this time. Not too early.

The Yancha season was also about 2 weeks earlier this year than last year.
茶也醉人何必酒?

May 4th, '09, 07:11

Answer from R B

by Herb_Master » May 4th, '09, 07:11

Dear herb_master,

it will be soon. i will post if it is avaiable.thx.add my msn rich-barbarian@hotmail.com.

- rich-barbarian

May 4th, '09, 17:31

Answer from Wan Ling UK

by Herb_Master » May 4th, '09, 17:31

Dear herb_master

. . . .

Wan Ling's sister travelled up to the farm/mountain on Friday. All being well she should be able to select all the necessary teas we need during this week. The teas will then be sent down to have all the sticks removed. Hopefully Wan Ling will get the tea in Shanghai before the middle of the month, as such we should receive our supplies in Dorset before the end of the month. From what we have heard this spring harvest is promising to be a very good one.
If you have seen TGY already on the market this may be from lower plantations. Much of outer An Xi (near An Xi town) is low lying and so teas can be picked much earlier than those at higher elevations.

I will add the new teas to the site prior to us receiving the teas and circulate the link in advance to our existing customers, this way you can select the teas you want prior to the 'general public'. As Wan Ling will be making up a parcel for us if you have any other special requests please let us know and we can include any items in the shipment.

New items that will be adding to the shop this harvest includes a very limited supply of white tea and a couple of new An Hui green teas.

Happy tea drinking,

James
My underlining - hopefully a good Spring Harvest all round

May 4th, '09, 17:36

by Herb_Master » May 4th, '09, 17:36

xuancheng wrote:There is plenty of TGY out already. Often the earliest is not the best because the lower altitude bushes flush first, and of course the higher the better!
The good stuff is coming out right about now. I would be at ease purchasing TGY at this time. Not too early.

The Yancha season was also about 2 weeks earlier this year than last year.
The Wan Ling response echoes your words.

Which makes it strange that DTH offering is their top grade - ONI's favourite NonPareil :o

May 4th, '09, 18:39

by teashionista » May 4th, '09, 18:39

Herb Master, thanks for sharing this info! I was very tempted to buy a 2009 TGY from a source that already sells them, but will wait instead. Oh, the virtue of patience (and lack thereof) ;)

Btw, does anyone have a recommendation for a source for traditional TGY (more oxidized, but not heavily roasted, and not aged)? Or do I have to wait for summer/fall harvest for such teas?

May 4th, '09, 19:15

by Herb_Master » May 4th, '09, 19:15

teashionista wrote:Herb Master, thanks for sharing this info! I was very tempted to buy a 2009 TGY from a source that already sells them, but will wait instead. Oh, the virtue of patience (and lack thereof) ;)

Btw, does anyone have a recommendation for a source for traditional TGY (more oxidized, but not heavily roasted, and not aged)? Or do I have to wait for summer/fall harvest for such teas?
But be aware that the 4 different harvests have supposedly different flavour profiles.

The early summer and late summer harvests can provide steady commercial teas of good quality but the Spring and Autumn/Winter harvests are the 2 that command special attention.

The Spring Harvest I believe shows more green qualities and the Autumn more full bodies flavours. Some people believe the Spring Harvest shows TGY at it's best, but apparently more think the Autumn harvest demonstrates the supreme character of the Bush

If you want to sample 2009 Autumn you will have to wait until January, so perhaps you could order some 2008 to drink whilst waiting the Spring harvest.

+ Post Reply