Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 17th, '16, 11:46

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by JRS22 » Jan 17th, '16, 11:46

Maiko has a sale in the winter and the Gyokuro tasting set was included last year. Something to watch for.

Jan 17th, '16, 12:49

by debunix » Jan 17th, '16, 12:49

Liu an Gua Pian this morning, from the amazing tasting set from Tea Habitat. Sweet, floral, delicate, lovely.

Jan 17th, '16, 13:03

by davidglass » Jan 17th, '16, 13:03

JRS22 wrote:Maiko has a sale in the winter and the Gyokuro tasting set was included last year. Something to watch for.
Thanks for the info

Jan 17th, '16, 23:09

by GeorgeGR » Jan 17th, '16, 23:09

davidglass wrote:I just purchased the Gyokuro superior and the Sencha superior from Hibiki-an, and I cannot get good brews out of either of them. I am using 1.2 g per oz of 140 degree water for the Gyokuro, and brewing for 1.5-2 minutes. I am using .6 g per oz for the Sencha and brewing at 167-176 degrees for 1 minute. I also noticed that, upon opening the bags of tea, that I don't get the same heart-stopping aroma as when I open a bag of O-cha tea. Any suggestions?
Usually the superior grades of tea from Hibiki-an are hit or miss. Some years it's good, some years not so much in my opinion. I recently ordered some Blended Sencha Super Premium from Hibiki-an and I've been very happy with it. It definitely has that aroma you were talking about.

Jan 17th, '16, 23:24

by davidglass » Jan 17th, '16, 23:24

GeorgeGR wrote:
davidglass wrote:I just purchased the Gyokuro superior and the Sencha superior from Hibiki-an, and I cannot get good brews out of either of them. I am using 1.2 g per oz of 140 degree water for the Gyokuro, and brewing for 1.5-2 minutes. I am using .6 g per oz for the Sencha and brewing at 167-176 degrees for 1 minute. I also noticed that, upon opening the bags of tea, that I don't get the same heart-stopping aroma as when I open a bag of O-cha tea. Any suggestions?
Usually the superior grades of tea from Hibiki-an are hit or miss. Some years it's good, some years not so much in my opinion. I recently ordered some Blended Sencha Super Premium from Hibiki-an and I've been very happy with it. It definitely has that aroma you were talking about.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess this must have been an off year for both the Gyokuro Superior and the Sencha Superior.

Jan 18th, '16, 00:18

by Tead Off » Jan 18th, '16, 00:18

davidglass wrote:
GeorgeGR wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I guess this must have been an off year for both the Gyokuro Superior and the Sencha Superior.
This is one of the reasons that recommendations are difficult. Even a great tea bought one year, may not be reproduced the next year.

Then, there are styles that some of the vendors try to adhere to, year by year. Ippodo is famous for this, but you will rarely get a surprise and drinking the same teas can lead to a bit of boredom. :D

Maiko Gyokuro set is a must try, sale or not!

Jan 18th, '16, 10:10

by davidglass » Jan 18th, '16, 10:10

Tead Off wrote:
davidglass wrote:
GeorgeGR wrote:
This is one of the reasons that recommendations are difficult. Even a great tea bought one year, may not be reproduced the next year.

Then, there are styles that some of the vendors try to adhere to, year by year. Ippodo is famous for this, but you will rarely get a surprise and drinking the same teas can lead to a bit of boredom. :D

Maiko Gyokuro set is a must try, sale or not!
Thanks again. I'm going to start with the Maiko set, especially because it contains some of their most expensive Gyokuro (which I will have only one chance to get right).

Jan 19th, '16, 11:04

by debunix » Jan 19th, '16, 11:04

Tai Ping Hou Kui from Wing Hop Fung today, enjoyed from a Petr Novak shibo and a Seong Il teacup. Lovely for a mildly chilly day.

Jan 19th, '16, 20:27

by Muadeeb » Jan 19th, '16, 20:27

I just received my first O-Cha order and am currently brewing the Uji Gyokuro Gyo-Hou in a shigaraki pot. It's got a decent mellow flavor, but the aftertaste dies off very quickly. I got some Sae Midori and Sencha Miyabi in this order too, I'll probably try one of those right after the gyokuro.

I know I should let the tea rest after its long journey, but after not having any green tea for a couple weeks, I needed to drink some- now!

Jan 21st, '16, 01:23
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 21st, '16, 01:23

Drinking green tea that was grown in Sanxia District, New Taipei City. The tea dealer who sold this to me really tried to steer me away from it; she wasn't into green tea and said her dad drank it for his health (as a cancer preventative, I guess, since he was a smoker). I finally convinced her to let me try it and it was amazing.

Now, at home, brewed in my easy gaiwan, I am on the second infusion. She brewed it longjing style in a glass, but I gave it three and then four minutes. I taste stone fruit, orchid and vegetal/umami. I like this tea so much, I wish I'd bought 300g. For a nondescript 'green tea' she didn't want to sell me, I am pretty blown away by it. Definitely the best Taiwanese green tea I've had yet.

Jan 21st, '16, 10:14

by KaiRong » Jan 21st, '16, 10:14

Just got a 50g package of Ippodo's Kanro from Japan, thanks to a friend who visited Kyoto in early January. It is my favorite gyokuro, period :) Is there a way to order directly from Ippodo to the European Union?

Jan 22nd, '16, 06:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jan 22nd, '16, 06:16

Happiness in the form of a tea bowl.

May all of you have a good day.

Regards,
W.

Jan 22nd, '16, 14:57

by debunix » Jan 22nd, '16, 14:57

Bet that looks nice shimmering under some delicate yellow-green liquor.

Jan 23rd, '16, 04:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jan 23rd, '16, 04:53

Yum!

Jan 23rd, '16, 11:27

Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by debunix » Jan 23rd, '16, 11:27

Looks nice with matcha too!

+ Post Reply