Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 7th, '14, 21:13

Re: Official Pu of the day

by mam2431 » Oct 7th, '14, 21:13

Emmett - thanks for the recommendations.
Emmett wrote:
mam2431 wrote:I've been trying to find Nannuo teas to add to my puerh collection. Today I am enjoying the 2005 NannuoShan 7549 from Cha Wang. Tea notes posted on TeaDB alerted me to this one which I find very easy to like. There is an appealing bitterness and it provides a surprising mixture of tastes - aged-worn leather, forest wood and tobacco but there is also a bit of fruity sweetness (maybe plum) present. Nice huigan which builds throughout the session leaving an aftertaste which offered a pleasant cooling effect.

Any recommendations for other Nannuo shengs? I should mention that I also have two Nannuo offerings from White2Tea.
You should try the 2008 American Hao 0802 Nannuo from Puerh Shop and the 2007 Changtai Nannuo Wild Arbor. Both are very decent. The Changtai you can still find on ebay I believe.

Oct 10th, '14, 13:51

by Balthazar » Oct 10th, '14, 13:51

I've been drinking more shu puer lately than usual. Earlier this year I ordered a bunch of random samples from Chawang, about 50/50 sheng and shu. One of the samples, 2002 Fu Cha Ju Ailaoshan, was finished tonight. Not a lot of it left, unfortunately, so I used my smallest gaiwan rather than the shu-pot I almost always use.

(The first time I have a tea I will usually use a gaiwan, with the exception of shu puer which I pretty much always brew in my pot. For some reason I almost always find the end result better when I brew shu in a pot.)

I recall liking this quite a bit the last time I had it, and tonight we (me and the pu, that is) really hit it off. I find more complexity in this than in other shu's I've had, a distinctive hint of smoke and wood that almost recalls lapsang... The usual gang (caramel, dates ...) also shows up. In general more "clean" in its taste than other shu pu I've tasted (keep in mind that I'm quite inexperienced, I've mostly had some of the popular Menghai recipes and a few samples from unknown factories, plus an absolute horrible Douji (my first shu-pu) a few years back).

So I went back to Chawangshop to check price and info, and it appears the tea material may have a lot to do with these pleasant qualities:

"This high quality ripe cake is made of spring large-leaf varietal arbor tea from Ailao mountain. Ailao mountain is one of high mountain in Simao area. Old tea trees material ripe puerh tea is quite different from garden tea ripe puerh.

The raw material is completely the same as sheng puerh products which Fu Cha Ju made in 2002."

$70 for 500g of shu-pu is more than I'm willing to pay as of now, but this one was nice enough to make me bookmark it in my "teas I will buy when I get rich" folder. Not that I expect that to happen anytime soon.

Oct 10th, '14, 16:48

by debunix » Oct 10th, '14, 16:48

I'm experimenting with this new bizen-like Petr Novak teapot to see what tea it likes. It seems happier with today's Essence of Tea Mansai puerh (the very last bit of TeaChat OTTI #5 (young sheng puerhs)

than it was with some TeaHabitat oolong last night.

And it's making friends with the Bizen yunomi that I hoped would complement it

Oct 10th, '14, 20:02

by puerhking » Oct 10th, '14, 20:02

debunix wrote:I'm experimenting with this new bizen-like Petr Novak teapot to see what tea it likes. It seems happier with today's Essence of Tea Mansai puerh (the very last bit of TeaChat OTTI #5 (young sheng puerhs)
You have samples left from OTTI 5!!!! :shock:

2012 Yunnan Sourcing Mu Shu Cha. This bing has been a bit of an enigma. It has never exhibited any aroma from the bing or much flavor for that matter. It seems that it has always been asleep. Very muted flavors of grain and flowers and a touch of a kind of sour flavor. Not my favorite.

Oct 10th, '14, 20:12

by debunix » Oct 10th, '14, 20:12

Samples are one of those things that sometimes slip to the back of the tea bins and then provide a pleasant surprise when rediscovered.....

Oct 11th, '14, 05:54
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Oct 11th, '14, 05:54

debunix wrote: And it's making friends with the Bizen yunomi that I hoped would complement it

Love that pot. You always have such beautiful teaware!

Oct 11th, '14, 09:30

by debunix » Oct 11th, '14, 09:30

I was trying to resist the charms of this little pot, but it kept whispering in my ear until I gave in.

Oct 11th, '14, 10:51

by kyarazen » Oct 11th, '14, 10:51

having a thai "gushu" pu-erh

ooo.. bubbly pot 8)

Oct 11th, '14, 11:24

by Tead Off » Oct 11th, '14, 11:24

Thai?

Oct 11th, '14, 12:14

by puerhking » Oct 11th, '14, 12:14

debunix wrote:Samples are one of those things that sometimes slip to the back of the tea bins and then provide a pleasant surprise when rediscovered.....
I gotcha. That happened to me on one of the green tea OTTIs with not so good results!

Oct 11th, '14, 18:03

by Cwyn » Oct 11th, '14, 18:03

I am an admirer of Peter Nowak's Bizen ware especially. He works that style so deliberately, I never feel like the glaze effects are random achievements or part of a bulk process, but I feel his eye and full attention on each piece. Worth every penny, and they sell out fast. Perhaps I'll manage to get a piece sometime.

Oct 11th, '14, 20:07

by debunix » Oct 11th, '14, 20:07

My problem with Petr's wares is that I like all of the them--snowflake and shino, bizen and tree bark, celadon and clear, magda and grass....

Oct 11th, '14, 22:23

by Puerlife » Oct 11th, '14, 22:23

Tead Off wrote:Thai?
Kyarazen, you have our full attention :D

Oct 11th, '14, 22:25

by drinking_teas » Oct 11th, '14, 22:25

between the this and the Thai oolong discussion in the other forum I think we have a new trend...

Oct 12th, '14, 00:13

by Teaism » Oct 12th, '14, 00:13

Two nice tea friends dropped by yesterday. We brewed and rejected some darjeeling samples. It is the green movements again and also late in the season.... one darjeeling guy sent us some samples...so we just went through the motion.

The first official Pu was 2001 Yiwu Yellow seal. The tea was shared by another collector and there are sign of wet storage although still salvageable. Quite a pity that such high quality tea went through the storage that is detrimental to it potential.

We continued with a nice 2002 Yiwu and 90s Liu Ann and some other teas.

It is quite enjoyable to hold ad hoc tea session in small group with one or two passionate tea friends. I have been doing this for the past few months, inspired by "After hours with Daniel Boulud". Just gather one or two tea friends on ad hoc basis have great tea and learn from each other. The tea room is set to be very conducive and relax and just to enjoy the tea without any frills.

Normally, I brew any tea the guest request, not matter how old, rare or expensive, and the only house rule is "nothing is for sale" so that future guest can enjoy them. Tea is just a tea and the real enjoyment is the experience.

Cheers! :D

+ Post Reply