Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aug 14th, '15, 13:25
Vendor Member

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by ethan » Aug 14th, '15, 13:25

steanze, thanks for the recommendations. Some green teas & a white tea are coming to me from Nepal in a few days. If that does not satisfy need for quality & variety, I'll order from teahome. I'm fussy lately.

Aug 15th, '15, 00:54

by steanze » Aug 15th, '15, 00:54

bonescwa wrote:
steanze wrote:This one has a good price/quality balance for easy drinking: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAHOME-Formosa ... 230dd6b215

They also offer a larger bag to save on shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAHOME-Formosa ... 2ea91d6d32
Anything else good from them that you know of?
I am still drinking some gaoshan my girlfriend brought from Taiwan, so I haven't placed an order yet. But I might soon. I am debating between ordering a few teas from teahome, getting something from t shop, or ordering from taiwan tea crafts. Recommendations?

I wonder whether the higher end teas from teahome are as good for the price. A friend ordered some Shan Lin Xi and it was quite good but I couldn't evaluate it well because I was not brewing.

Aug 15th, '15, 00:56

by steanze » Aug 15th, '15, 00:56

ethan wrote:steanze, thanks for the recommendations. Some green teas & a white tea are coming to me from Nepal in a few days. If that does not satisfy need for quality & variety, I'll order from teahome. I'm fussy lately.
You are welcome! I was impressed with the quality of the Jun Chiyabari, I am curious to hear if the green and white teas live up to your expectations. I might need to take a closer look to Nepalese teas. Keep me in the loop if you plan to order more of the Jun Chiyabari :)

Aug 15th, '15, 01:38

by Frisbeehead » Aug 15th, '15, 01:38

Had some of Floating Leaves' Spring 2014 Da Hong Pao in my yixing today. Tried a bit more leaf this time at 6.5g in the 80ml teapot. Rinsed for a few seconds then 10s steeps + 10s.

Between the three da hong pao packages I have right now (FL, Yunnan Sourcing, and JKTea) I like this one the best. In the yixing it comes out more relaxed, with less of the roasted characteristic and an emphasis on the floral, sweet cinnamon-bark and subtle dark chocolate-esque bitterness/astringency. I also get a kind of grassy flavor.

I love brewing yancha in this pot. It comes out just the way I like it.

Aug 15th, '15, 08:49
Vendor Member

by ethan » Aug 15th, '15, 08:49

Frisbeehead,

Thanks for mentioning your use of yixing. It got me to try MT's Imperial Pearl again, this time in my yixing pot. A level teaspoon for about 5 ounces of 88C water for 3 minutes produced a decent cup of tea featuring a strong base tea flavor w/ cinnamon--pleasing enough for me to offer apologies to Mountain Tea & readers here for a bit of a hissy fit. This year's Imperial Pearl is not as good as what I remember, but it is okay once I got to ideal preparation.

Steanze, White & green coming next week from Nepal, not from Jun Chiyabari. I'll post (& e-mail you).

Aug 16th, '15, 22:52

by Frisbeehead » Aug 16th, '15, 22:52

Glad I could help ethan ;)

Has anyone tried any yancha lately that really stood out? I'm looking for some good yancha to brew in my new yixing. I have 3 different da hong pao at the moment (Yunnan Sourcing, JKTea, and Floating Leaves) and I like them. They each have their own individual character. The only other Wuyi tea I've tried so far is Floating Leaves' Rou Gui, which I mentioned above.

If there's anything you'd recommend I would greatly appreciate it. I have been experimenting with this new teapot, testing different brewing parameters. I've even tried a few different types of tea in the pot as well, but yancha works best in it. Although I haven't tried shou pu in it yet...I'm afraid to do it and end up changing it to a shou pot :wink: Or worse, I end up buying another pot for shu already. Which I do not want to do until I get a better feel for using a teapot like this in general.

Right now I have her filled with the last steep of da hong pao from YS and seasoning in a bowl filled with the leaves and tea from previous steeps. The da hong pao from YS came out light today, likely because it is a lighter roast ("hua xiang").

Kinda rambled there, sorry. This tea has a nice cha qi, one of my favorite parts about yancha.

Aug 16th, '15, 23:47

by Tead Off » Aug 16th, '15, 23:47

You can try Teaurchin and Teahong for Yancha. Higher end Yancha will be more expensive than the teas you've been buying.

Aug 17th, '15, 00:31

by steanze » Aug 17th, '15, 00:31

It's a rainy night. Having the gaoshan I mentioned a few posts ago.

Aug 17th, '15, 08:52
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 17th, '15, 08:52

Shui xian from a HK vendor in a small hongni shuiping. Nice break from green tea!

Aug 18th, '15, 00:20
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 18th, '15, 00:20

Vietnamese gaoshan on ice...one of the best uses for this cheap tea. Picked up in Chinatown in Saigon.

Aug 20th, '15, 23:22

by bryan_drinks_tea » Aug 20th, '15, 23:22

I had a session with the 'five year aged' DHP from yunnan sourcing. It smells like cigarettes at first, but that fades. It's a nice office tea, and as always, I'm always happy to be able to try something new. 8)

Aug 21st, '15, 02:41
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 21st, '15, 02:41

Sea Dyke Oolong on ice. Greener, and packaged in a cardboard canister. Purchased in Singapore. Cheap and refreshing.

Aug 26th, '15, 18:51

by insanitylater » Aug 26th, '15, 18:51

drinking the li shan that was recommended a page ago from teahome. it's really tasty
glad i got the big bag

Aug 26th, '15, 21:54

by steanze » Aug 26th, '15, 21:54

insanitylater wrote:drinking the li shan that was recommended a page ago from teahome. it's really tasty
glad i got the big bag
Happy you like it! Do you mean li shan or ali shan?

Aug 27th, '15, 04:20

by insanitylater » Aug 27th, '15, 04:20

a li shan

+ Post Reply