Oct 27th, '11, 19:30

Re: Yixing Prices and Online Places

by gasninja » Oct 27th, '11, 19:30

Anyone ever bought anything from magic store 1981 on ebay. I assume their not geniune antiques but All I care about is the craftsmanship and clay quality.
It is so hard to find small zisha You would think that http://www.zishateapot.co.uk/
would have a better selection of smaller 70 to 120 ml size pots.

Oct 27th, '11, 19:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Oct 27th, '11, 19:43

gasninja wrote: It is so hard to find small zisha You would think that http://www.zishateapot.co.uk/
would have a better selection of smaller 70 to 120 ml size pots.
I think that those of us in the west who have 'discovered' Chinese Tea often think the same as you, I know that I did for a year or two. But I believe that Yixing products are appreciated all over China and that though many of the people in Fujian and Guangdong may enjoy a 'Gong Fu' approach to tea, even more people in the rest of Chinas have a distinctly non Gong Fu approach, which requires larger and larger still teapots.

That being said, I have noticed more and more pots of 120ml appearing on Chen's site, so maybe the balance is changing.

Oct 28th, '11, 03:32

by bagua7 » Oct 28th, '11, 03:32

gasninja wrote:Anyone ever bought anything from magic store 1981 on ebay. I assume their not geniune antiques but All I care about is the craftsmanship and clay quality.
Hmmm. Chinese are masters of forgery and when it comes to zisha things can become very complicated especially when relying on online images.

For instance (even though not related to the subject of discussion):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang_Dai-chien

Personally, I wouldn't buy from that vendor.

On the other hand, Chinese Shouzen Zisha Teapot (zishateapot.co.uk) sell real zisha and they provide good quality service. I own two of their pots and very satisfied with them.

Oct 28th, '11, 17:13

by wh&yel-apprentice » Oct 28th, '11, 17:13

bagua7 wrote:

On the other hand, Chinese Shouzen Zisha Teapot (zishateapot.co.uk) sell real zisha and they provide good quality service. I own two of their pots and very satisfied with them.
hmm, their descriptions seem to be repetitive, like they are not accurate. sort of like the tea listings on Dragon Teahouse. All of the teapots are made of same kind of purple clay, so all the different colors are from additions?...wish the 250-400ml pots where not all $300+

Oct 28th, '11, 17:33

by DarkenedSun » Oct 28th, '11, 17:33

anyone have an opinion on yixing from ten ren? they have a store right down the street from my work and they look nice but i have never heard any opinion on them. they seem to be like the [golden arches] of tea so i know it would be mass produced stuff :lol:

Oct 28th, '11, 18:08

by tingjunkie » Oct 28th, '11, 18:08

DarkenedSun wrote:anyone have an opinion on yixing from ten ren? they have a store right down the street from my work and they look nice but i have never heard any opinion on them. they seem to be like the [golden arches] of tea so i know it would be mass produced stuff :lol:
Most sold at Ten Ren are not Yixing, but Taiwanese clay. Either way, they are usually way overpriced.

Oct 28th, '11, 18:13

by DarkenedSun » Oct 28th, '11, 18:13

tingjunkie wrote: Most sold at Ten Ren are not Yixing, but Taiwanese clay. Either way, they are usually way overpriced.
I had a feeling they were taiwanese clay but I was hoping maybe they were just mass produced yixing. And yes, everything they sell is overpriced. :roll:

I go there because some days, I just want to leave work for a minute and go get some dang tea. :lol:

Oct 29th, '11, 00:32

by tingjunkie » Oct 29th, '11, 00:32

DarkenedSun wrote: I had a feeling they were taiwanese clay but I was hoping maybe they were just mass produced yixing. And yes, everything they sell is overpriced. :roll:
Personally, I'd take decent Taiwanese clay over most modern mass produced Yixing any day.

Oct 29th, '11, 00:46
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 29th, '11, 00:46

DarkenedSun, is the kyusu in your avatar the one from Rishi? How is it? I don't need one but want to get one :D

Oct 29th, '11, 02:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 29th, '11, 02:10

gingkoseto wrote:DarkenedSun, is the kyusu in your avatar the one from Rishi? How is it? I don't need one but want to get one :D
Oh, Rishi has it too ... Den's has it. I think they are the same?

Oct 31st, '11, 11:12

by DarkenedSun » Oct 31st, '11, 11:12

Chip wrote:
gingkoseto wrote:DarkenedSun, is the kyusu in your avatar the one from Rishi? How is it? I don't need one but want to get one :D
I saw the rishi one but decided on den's because they had cheaper shipping. :lol: they look pretty similar though. i was kinda wondering the same thing... maybe i'll buy it and see... or maybe not. i can't see a reason to own 2 mini kyusu. :wink:

Nov 1st, '11, 13:57
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Nov 1st, '11, 13:57

DarkenedSun wrote:
Chip wrote:
I saw the rishi one but decided on den's because they had cheaper shipping. :lol: they look pretty similar though. i was kinda wondering the same thing... maybe i'll buy it and see... or maybe not. i can't see a reason to own 2 mini kyusu. :wink:
Thanks guys! They look exactly the same to me, and Den's has lower price and shipping :D Rishi's has a teacup to go with it too. But the kyusu is the main attraction :D

Nov 1st, '11, 17:25

by DarkenedSun » Nov 1st, '11, 17:25

tingjunkie wrote:
DarkenedSun wrote: I had a feeling they were taiwanese clay but I was hoping maybe they were just mass produced yixing. And yes, everything they sell is overpriced. :roll:
Personally, I'd take decent Taiwanese clay over most modern mass produced Yixing any day.
point taken. i don't know about the quality of their pots though. i could be wrong in thinking they are probably mass produced and cheap. i am certainly no expert. :)

Nov 1st, '11, 23:18

by needaTEAcher » Nov 1st, '11, 23:18

After spending some time with Rishi's website, I just don't understand. All those pots are so cheap. So are they likely mass produced but genuine Yixing, or are the likely Taiwanese? Would a company as well known as Risha straight up misrepresent their product? I mean, duanni for $25?

I found what looks like real duanni to me here in Seoul for $30, but I don't know and I am too skeptical to get it...

Nov 2nd, '11, 00:35
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Nov 2nd, '11, 00:35

needaTEAcher wrote:After spending some time with Rishi's website, I just don't understand. All those pots are so cheap. So are they likely mass produced but genuine Yixing, or are the likely Taiwanese? Would a company as well known as Risha straight up misrepresent their product? I mean, duanni for $25?

I found what looks like real duanni to me here in Seoul for $30, but I don't know and I am too skeptical to get it...
It's dangerous to think authentic, decent yixing has to be expensive :wink: I haven't scrutinize every of Rishi's yixing, but those I've looked at seem authentic to me. Their $25 yixing is not of $100 quality, but $25 yixing is not impossible, especially for a large company with great wholesale purchase power.

I did see some other large companies selling yixing of poorer or inauthentic quality but a lot more expensive than Rishi's. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply