Monday must be a TeaDay 6/23/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Again, your 2 scents worth please, what is your least desirable TeaAroma?

Floral
4%
Fruity
2%
Sweet/honey
No votes
Veggie of the astringent kind
5%
Veggie...like corn
4%
Nutty
2%
Smokey
5%
Grassy
No votes
Toasty
2%
Grainy
No votes
Marine
51%
Other
13%
I don't know where to begin for pu-erh, so all other pu aromas go here.
13%

Total votes: 55

Jun 23rd, '08, 18:31

by henley » Jun 23rd, '08, 18:31

Today's photo is courtesy of our trip today to an area national park. Kids had fun playing & hubby got to go fishing. The flower is Mountain Laurel. In my cup tonight is Adagio's Pouchong.

It really is this pretty in real life. The mountain laurel is growing beside the creek about middle of the pic. Hubby picked the flowers for me.

Jun 23rd, '08, 18:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jun 23rd, '08, 18:35

BEEEYOUtiful! Photos are too small though! LOL

Jun 23rd, '08, 18:36

by Victoria » Jun 23rd, '08, 18:36

Wow, very nice pic and little get away.
Love the pouchong.

Jun 23rd, '08, 18:43

by Chip » Jun 23rd, '08, 18:43

OK...no point drinking the good stuff if I can't really taste or smell it today.

Daily sencha with some everyday grade matcha added. I can taste it...a good thing.

My personal blend, very complicated. Throw sencha in a tin, throw matcha in a tin...shake it all about...done.

This is a real easy brewer too by the way.

Jun 23rd, '08, 18:46

by henley » Jun 23rd, '08, 18:46

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:BEEEYOUtiful! Photos are too small though! LOL
Happy?! :lol: I was there today but still could get lost in this photo!

Jun 23rd, '08, 18:53

by geeber1 » Jun 23rd, '08, 18:53

WOW! Love it!

Jun 23rd, '08, 19:07

by Katrina » Jun 23rd, '08, 19:07

henley wrote:
This one absolutely needed repetition. Thanks for the mini vacation. :wink:

Jun 23rd, '08, 19:17

by Katrina » Jun 23rd, '08, 19:17

auggy wrote: Katrina, will you share with me what you are currently working on? The texture looks absolutely wonderful. Makes me want to pick up my hook and crochet...
It's actually a hoodie sweater for the littlest one here. Here's a panel in progress next to someone else's finished version. On mine, the champagne color is all moss/seed stitch and the black and blue are just stockinette.:

ImageImage

I've been on a major knitting kick lately. Working on this one for the baby and a Tigger sweater for my son and socks for hubby and I. Now let's hope the kick lasts long enough to finish them all!

Crochet...Haven't done that in awhile...My preference for afghans, but for sweaters I like my pointy sticks.

Jun 23rd, '08, 19:45

by Geekgirl » Jun 23rd, '08, 19:45

Henley, MUCH better, it is amazingly beautiful. Wow!

in my cup: blech. Trying to enjoy some green tea from Honest teas. It's really awful, tastes a little bit like POG that has started to turn bad. I think I'm giving up. Hubby was so happy with himself for bringing these for me from the Whole Foods. I don't know if I have the heart to tell him that all but the first one sucked. (Peach oohlalong was tolerable, if too sweet.)

Jun 23rd, '08, 20:33

by kymidwife » Jun 23rd, '08, 20:33

I voted for marine... I like seafood, I even love to eat good seaweed, but I don't want a fishy odor in my tea.

I've had a busy tea day. After being up all night catching a baby, I came home and napped for a while this morning. When I woke up, it was time to go back and catch baby #2 for the day, so I had a really strong hot cup of assam to get me moving. While at the hospital, I sipped on morrocan mint iced tea all day. 2nd baby finally arrived, and I headed home to find a pleasant surprise! I got a teaswap box today!

I've been busy sniffing everything, and it was hard to decide what to try first. I have some adagio Raspberry Green ice-brewing in the kitchen, and I just finished off a big glass of a signature blend called Mojito... totally delicious and refreshing on this hot summer day.

Oh... and I still have some of my cold-brewed adagio Gyokuro in the fridge... but it's going fast. It is absolutely delicious... I've been drinking it straight from the carafe, ice cold, with the leaf still floating in it... I haven't enjoyed any other green tea so much as this.

Have a great tea day.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jun 23rd, '08, 20:53

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jun 23rd, '08, 20:53

geeber1 wrote:This morning I have iced Masala Chai with almond milk. (Thanks, Cinnamon Kitty, for the suggestion, it's great!)
You are muchly welcome. I'm glad you managed to find some almond milk to try with the chai.

I actually like the marine smell in teas. It brings back fond memories of my summers at Grandma's house in the Adirondacks where I would curl up in the hammock by the lake with a good book, or the family vacations down to Chincoteague, Virginia where we would spend all day at the beach swimming in the ocean. The one I dislike the most is the musty hay and barnyard smell, which I classified as "other" since I haven't tried any pu'erhs, or even smelled them.

Today I've had two steeps of Oolong #8, some iced Honeybush, and am now enjoying some Oolong #40. I found Oolong #40 too fruity last time I tried to brew it, but today it is more subtle and more enjoyable.

Jun 23rd, '08, 21:01

by chamekke » Jun 23rd, '08, 21:01

Voted for (against?) marine. I'm not sure I've had marine-tasting tea, actually, but of the lot it seemed the least appealing.

In my cup... hummus. Mmm - garlic!

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jun 23rd, '08, 21:48

by Ron Gilmour » Jun 23rd, '08, 21:48

I voted that "marine" was my least favorite, but then after reading some of the replies, I was reminded of some Japanese greens that I would describe as "marine" or "oceanic" that I actually liked. When I said "marine," I guess I really meant "fishy," which I've run across in some sheng pu-erh and haven't been too fond of.

In my cup now is some 2007 Haiwan Old Nugget Pu-erh. This tea was recommended by Patrick of Pinkies Up! and I've really been enjoying it. I haven't tried a lot of shu, but so far this is my favorite.
Last edited by Ron Gilmour on Jun 23rd, '08, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 23rd, '08, 21:48

by witches brew » Jun 23rd, '08, 21:48

I voted against pu erh. Compost belongs in the garden.

It's interesting how off-putting the marine flavor is for most who have commented. As someone who lives at the shore, I must admit that the seaweed/salty aroma of some green teas is a pure delight to me. I wouldn't characterize them as fishy. The aroma of the sea is far more complex and beautiful than that.

Jun 23rd, '08, 22:31

by augie » Jun 23rd, '08, 22:31

kymidwife wrote: 2nd baby finally arrived, and I headed home to find a pleasant surprise! I got a teaswap box today!Sarah
Rock and roll, TeaSister! I am at the end of the line!!!

Although I have had a taste for a few lawn clippings lately. Drinking a lot of Sencha. Found those little Sencha Shots from ItoEn at Whole foods for 4/$4.00