Wednesday TeaDay 6/25/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

"How quickly or easily do you "give up" on a tea you do not like...at least initially?" asks Auggy.

One attempt
11%
2-4 attempts
67%
5 or more attempts if I feel I am "figuring it out"
13%
To the "bitter" end!
9%

Total votes: 55

Jun 25th, '08, 17:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by CynTEAa » Jun 25th, '08, 17:37

Henley -- that is a gorgeous lily! :)

And Riene-- I'm guessing that cup is Lenox or maybe Wedgewood?

Had a nice tasting session today! Yummy oolongs!

Jun 25th, '08, 18:12

by Chip » Jun 25th, '08, 18:12

CynTEAa wrote:Henley -- that is a gorgeous lily! :)

Don't tell Victoria or she'll come a knockin'....

Chiran Sencha again from Kagoshima/Ito En...again a sample from Joel. Thanx Joel!!!!

This one shows its inferiority to the earlier Kagoshima sencha. Less smooth, a slight cheaper taste to it. Not from the best part of the leaf or a latter harvest?

Had I not had the earlier one, this would have been great...still pretty good though.

Jun 25th, '08, 18:37

by Victoria » Jun 25th, '08, 18:37

Chip wrote:
CynTEAa wrote:Henley -- that is a gorgeous lily! :)

Don't tell Victoria or she'll come a knockin'....
What oolong tastings??? Darn, I missed it?

Very nice pics today everyone! Wow!

In my afternoon cup something new and really cool!!

It is a White tea -

Ontario Icewine

And it's Delish!

Jun 25th, '08, 18:53

by RussianSoul » Jun 25th, '08, 18:53

The number of attempts depends on a tea. If the tea belongs to a category that I generally don't like (flavored, scented, herbal, ...) I may give it one try to confirm that this is not an exception to my rule. Usually I have it figured out after the first couple of sips and it goes down the drain.

If the tea belongs to types I generally like, I may give it up to 5 tries usually blaming my inept brewing techniques and seeking advice from more experienced people. Like with Sencha Hatsumi. This one took several trials, a pathetic PM to Chip, then some more experiments to get it to my liking.

At the moment drinking Adagio's TKY gongfu style - 5th infusion. I am surprised that I like it better this way, who knew... And I get to use my cute little gaiwan.

Jun 25th, '08, 19:34

by auggy » Jun 25th, '08, 19:34

Okay, not anywhere as pretty as the pictures that are posted here daily, but hey, at least there is tea! And a pretty pink laptop. Yay!

Ali san oolong in the cup. Yum!

Jun 25th, '08, 19:56

by Victoria » Jun 25th, '08, 19:56

auggy wrote:Okay, not anywhere as pretty as the pictures that are posted here daily, but hey, at least there is tea! And a pretty pink laptop. Yay!

Ali san oolong in the cup. Yum!
Sweet! Do they come in purple?

Pour me some of that oolong girl.
:)

Jun 25th, '08, 20:07

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jun 25th, '08, 20:07

It takes one attempt to give up on a really awful tea. If it smells really bad or tastes really disgusting, then I give up. If the tea actually has a pleasant smell or is almost tasty, I will try it again.

Today I made Masala Chai with almond milk and honey for breakfast and had a thermos of Assam Melody for the rest of the day at work. We ordered Chinese take-out of dinner, so my House Fried Rice and Hot and Sour Soup got paired with some iced Peach Oolong.

Jun 25th, '08, 20:16

by chamekke » Jun 25th, '08, 20:16

Victoria wrote:In my afternoon cup something new and really cool!!

It is a White tea -

Ontario Icewine

And it's Delish!
Please tell more!

Are you saying this is a tea called Ontario Icewine? (And if so, who makes it?)

Or are you drinking ice wine from Ontario? (And if so, which one are you drinking?)

I love Canadian ice wines (another expensive taste... I know), so either way I am extremely intrigued!

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jun 25th, '08, 20:45

by Salsero » Jun 25th, '08, 20:45

auggy wrote: Image
But ... but ... but ... *stammer* ... It's so
  • PINK!
Love the cup and contents, BTW.

Jun 25th, '08, 20:47

by Victoria » Jun 25th, '08, 20:47

chamekke wrote:
Victoria wrote:In my afternoon cup something new and really cool!!

It is a White tea -

Ontario Icewine

And it's Delish!
Please tell more!

Are you saying this is a tea called Ontario Icewine? (And if so, who makes it?)

Or are you drinking ice wine from Ontario? (And if so, which one are you drinking?)

I love Canadian ice wines (another expensive taste... I know), so either way I am extremely intrigued!
This is a WHITE tea called ONTARIO ICEWINE

I did not expect to like it, but it is very intriguing. And quite addicting.
I have been wanting to try real ice wine for sometime but the prices are just so off the charts at the places I have found it. It's hard to justify that price for such a small bottle. I guess for a special occasion it would be nice. The last place I saw it was up your way, that little shopping island off Vancouver. So I have no way of saying how this compares to the real thing.

It is a white tea with ice wine flavoring. But the flavor is wine-like- not fakey grape.
It's quite delicious.

http://www.nmteaco.com/Ontario-Icewine_p_6-222.html

I need to do a proper review in the White Tea Forum.

Jun 25th, '08, 20:54

by Riene » Jun 25th, '08, 20:54

:shock: Me covets the pink laptop.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jun 25th, '08, 21:16

steeping backwards

by laran7 » Jun 25th, '08, 21:16

I am learning/need to learn so much. I was starting out with long steeps - 5-7 minutes; lately trying one or two more at (roughly) 4 then three minutes.

I hope someone can laugh at this - I obviously hang in there.

I was going to say that I have tried steeping a tea up to three times -
no wonder the flavour of darjeeling had basically evaporated at #3.

Live and learn.

:shock: :oops:

Jun 25th, '08, 21:31

by auggy » Jun 25th, '08, 21:31

Riene wrote::shock: Me covets the pink laptop.
:lol: Isn't it fun?! Seeing the pink makes me giggle.
Victoria wrote:Sweet! Do they come in purple?
Nope, just black, silver, red, pink and blue. But you never know, purple could be next!
Salsero wrote: But ... but ... but ... *stammer* ... It's so
  • PINK!
Love the cup and contents, BTW.
But Sal, the pink is the POINT! :D

The teacup is Noritake Savannah. My grandpa started collecting the pattern for me right after I was born. He died when I was 6 but had managed to get 12 place settings minus the tea and coffee pots, berry bowls and butter dish, all which I've picked up on eBay. Pretty much all I need now is a covered veg bowl and I'll have the full set.
The crystal is stuff my mom got when my dad was in the military. She got it on base - so not the best stuff, but pretty, I think. And my good crystal has a pattern on it which kind of overwhelms the china, so they are in a top cabinet.

Jun 25th, '08, 22:21

by kymidwife » Jun 25th, '08, 22:21

I'm so flippin tired, I don't think I'd have made it through the last 2 days without my tea/caffeine! I went to work yesterday at 8am yesterday, and thanks to a busy office schedule AND 2 babies coming overnight, I didn't get to come home until 5pm today. Blech.

I am a newbie on brewing greens and oolongs, and so I voted for giving a few chances to get it right. I think the more experienced one becomes, the less time they will invest in a tea they don't instinctively like.

I drank a stout cup of cranberry black tea to wake myself up before starting office this morning... then sipped iced jasmine oolong most of the day. The girls at work are falling in love with it too... so delicious. I came home wishing I had s'more of that ice brewed cold gyokuro in my fridge, but there was none... so I put some dragonwell in my carafe with some ice and cold water, and I'll have that tomorrow and see how it compares to the gyo. I was craving some green and so I did a really careful short brew of kukicha... drank alittle hot, and then the rest over ice, and it was very light and enjoyable. Then I decided to try some genmaicha for the first time, and I enjoyed it very much.

The genmaicha stopped up the slits in my glass infuser basket... so I was fiddling with it and ended up dropping it in the floor and shattering it. The pot is fine, but the infuser is no more. I shouldn't be handling glass when I am this tired. I guess I'll be throwing leaf right into the glass pot now... and strain it after. I love that little pot... maybe i can find a replacement basket.

I am rambling... need to sleep. Have a great tea day.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jun 25th, '08, 23:01

by henley » Jun 25th, '08, 23:01

Ended up having Pouchong for dinner & the rest of the evening. It's almost scary how many infusions I can get out of this tea! I know I got at least 4 & possibly 5.