Friday is dedicated to TeaDay, 6/27/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Rate your current teas, in general!

5, my current teas are top notch, off the hook!!!
18%
4, my current teas are very good
61%
3, my current teas are good
18%
2, ok, I am struggling a bit
4%
1, I need HELP!
No votes

Total votes: 56

Jun 27th, '08, 16:53

by RussianSoul » Jun 27th, '08, 16:53

Pentox wrote:
Chip wrote:Hatsumi currently on a hot day...the cold brewing is sounding more and more appealing with each passing day. It is out of my comfort zone though. Guess I am way too set in my ways and should just do it.
Psh just do it! If you don't like it after first or second infusion just switch the leaves over to hot.
Did anyone tried to cold-brew Hatsumi? Details please?

I tried and it came out somewhat bitter and sand-like. I drank it, but didn't enjoy it.

Jun 27th, '08, 16:59

by Sam. » Jun 27th, '08, 16:59

I voted for four stars. I really enjoy my teas, but I'm always apprehensive of saying that they're the best possible. Lately I've been drinking almost all Japanese teas from Den's. Organic sencha, fukamushi sencha, kukicha, mmm. Plenty of chamomile & peppermint tisanes at night as well. I haven't been drinking as much of the black and oolong samples I got from Adagio, not because I don't like them, but simply because I like the Japanese greens and Den's kyusu so much! My next goal is to try more oolongs and pu-erh and to buy my first Chinese yixing pot.

No tea at work today. I had some plain old iced black tea this morning on the way to work. I'll surely be brewing something when I get home.

Jun 27th, '08, 17:39

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jun 27th, '08, 17:39

RussianSoul wrote:I would rate my collection a 3 because it is half and half. The first half are top notch teas from Den's, O-Cha, TeaSpring, TeaGschwendner which I enjoy to no end and drink continuously. The other half are my experiments and trials that I don't drink anymore (ok, maybe once in a while to see if anything changed) but hesitate to get rid of.
I agree fully. Some of my teas are awesome, but there is a whole drawer devoted to random teas that are not too great, namely some teabags and loose teas that I didn't care for but might try again later. I haven't explored the world of loose tea thoroughly enough to call my collection the best possible, so for now it is simply good enough to keep me happy.

Jun 27th, '08, 17:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jun 27th, '08, 17:52

cane wrote:Here is what I am drinking today, one of many mystery samples. Image
Wow, what thoughtful tasting notes and such pretty pictures, esp the last one ... you really make me want some of that mystery green! Is that the gaiwan from your avatar? What's the line running down the side? Is that what Chip has termed an overlap design?
Last edited by Salsero on Jun 27th, '08, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 27th, '08, 17:54

by Katrina » Jun 27th, '08, 17:54

Riene wrote:I'm not fond of the Tazo, Celestial Seasonings, Stash, etc, but I have friends/relatives who do like the herbal tisanes or the very mild black teas, so I keep them. Somewhere I even have a jar of Tang, instant tea, and lemonade mixed together. *shudders*

Part of being a good host is making sure your guests are happy. [/color]
I don't even count those things as part of my stash. I have the obligatory selection of tea bags for my guests who tell me that they don't like loose leaf. Why even drink tea, I ask? (Just kidding. I don't really ask it. I just think it.) Not that I never resort to tea bags, but certainly wouldn't choose them if someone else was brewing! I won't even disclose the brands because I hate to even admit they reside here. :oops:
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Jun 27th, '08, 18:11

by Chip » Jun 27th, '08, 18:11

Hmmm...let me clarify the poll answer intent...

5...saying 5 does not mean you cannot still improve upon what you have, but relative to what you have had...or your gut feeling on your teas, they are realllllly great.

Also, unopen teas should not adversely affect your answer. OK, now that I have over analized this...

OK...a 5* Fukamushi currently. As good as what I have open right now is, I am still anxious to try some others waiting in the TeaFridge including an old friend, Yutaka Midori.

Jun 27th, '08, 18:15

by Chip » Jun 27th, '08, 18:15

RussianSoul wrote:
Pentox wrote:
Chip wrote:Hatsumi currently on a hot day...the cold brewing is sounding more and more appealing with each passing day. It is out of my comfort zone though. Guess I am way too set in my ways and should just do it.
Psh just do it! If you don't like it after first or second infusion just switch the leaves over to hot.
Did anyone tried to cold-brew Hatsumi? Details please?

I tried and it came out somewhat bitter and sand-like. I drank it, but didn't enjoy it.
No, but I was thinking about it when I read your post. I need to start somewhere with this though. Might be Hatsumi since I still have a good supply.

I have some cold brew bags from Victoria that I just remembered...might try that first.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 27th, '08, 18:25

by Ron Gilmour » Jun 27th, '08, 18:25

I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of teas right now that I think are top notch. Some highlights include some 2003 Dayi Yiwu pu-erh, some Li Shan oolong and sencha Maruse from Tao of Tea, and the wonderful Castleton Darjeeling that I'm enjoying right now.

Jun 27th, '08, 18:27

by insanitylater » Jun 27th, '08, 18:27

Pentox wrote:
so when you cold brew you can do multiple infusions ? is that only the ice method

i usually leave my sencha leaves in the fridge overnight and just drink the one infusion. it's divine though

Jun 27th, '08, 18:54

by Chip » Jun 27th, '08, 18:54

insanitylater wrote:
Pentox wrote:
so when you cold brew you can do multiple infusions ? is that only the ice method

i usually leave my sencha leaves in the fridge overnight and just drink the one infusion. it's divine though
What leaf to water ratio do you use? Do you start with cold water...ice? Thanx!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 27th, '08, 18:57

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jun 27th, '08, 18:57

And I completely forgot to mention my teas today so far. It's been a long week. Today, I started with two steeps of Oolong #8 though it wasn't as good as it normally is. I think that was due to my sinuses deciding to act up. I had a mug of Vanilla Rooibos when I got home from work and am now enjoying a nice cup of iced tea. I was finishing up teas so the iced tea was made from White Tip Oolong and Organic Monk's Blend, brewed separately but thrown in the pitcher together. It is surprisingly tasty for being made from the little bits left at the bottom of the bag.

Jun 27th, '08, 19:09

by insanitylater » Jun 27th, '08, 19:09

Chip wrote:
insanitylater wrote:
Pentox wrote:

What leaf to water ratio do you use? Do you start with cold water...ice? Thanx!
i think it's basically the same amount you would use for regular brewing.personally i use a little more than 1 tablespoon to 16oz of cold water. i've done it with room temperature water too and just stuck it in the fridge for the next morning

Jun 27th, '08, 19:52

by Pentox » Jun 27th, '08, 19:52

Chip wrote: What leaf to water ratio do you use? Do you start with cold water...ice? Thanx!
insanitylater wrote: so when you cold brew you can do multiple infusions ? is that only the ice method

I use a few different methods for cold brewing. The first distinction is between ice brewing and cold brewing. Ice brewing is when you start with ice and ice alone and let the ice melt to create the tea. I don't have much experience with this particular method. The second is cold brewing where you use water ranging from cool to ice cold. This method is described more in my blog.

But for a quick answer, chip : between 1.0:1.2 g / oz. and for insanity : yes.
Last edited by Pentox on Jun 27th, '08, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 27th, '08, 20:42

by kymidwife » Jun 27th, '08, 20:42

Riene wrote:
kymidwife wrote:I have some ice-brewed kukicha in the fridge for later... I find it is much more pleasant and less grassy when cold/ice brewed, but I am finding that I prefer all my greens this way... lovely, light, sweet, no bitterness, not too grassy. Ice brewing is working out really well!

Sarah
Sarah, how do you do ice brewing? I don't think I've heard of this before.
Wellll... I read Sal's blogs on the subject, as well as some advice here, and I've played around with several methods. So far, I haven't found a way to screw up cold-brewing, which is a great thing for me... I am very good at screwing up the hot brewing of greens.

I've done all my cold/ice brewing in a glass carafe... I put in my leaf, in the same proportion that I would use for hot brewing (some might like more for a stronger flavor, but I am loving the lightness of it)... and then fill with very cold water or with crushed ice... refrigerate overnight, and the next day, voila... delightful tea with no bitterness and a clear, delicious green flavor. I leave it in the fridge, leaf and all, until I've finished it, and I haven't had any problem with bitterness or an overbrewed taste... I know some people prefer to separate the tea from the leaf after the desired taste is achieved... but frankly, mine never lasts very long.

I'm primarily drinking this tea cold and unsweetened... absolutely delicious, thirst-quenching, and refreshing for a summer beverage... but have tried warming it for a hot cup, and it was nice too. I've tried green pekoe, kukicha, dragonwell, and gyokuro... all were very good, but the gyo was amazing.

Hope this helps... and do read Sal's blog, it was very helpful to me too.

Sarah

Jun 27th, '08, 20:59

by auggy » Jun 27th, '08, 20:59

henley wrote:Sneaking in a second cuppa today. Enjoying Pouchong. This is really becoming a new favorite!

Hey, Auggy! Did you find any pink teaware yet? Stumbled across this on ebay.
WOO! I love it!

I actually did get a pink depression glass tea cup in the mail yesterday so woo hoo! No pink monkey on it, though. I might need to fix that! Might have to hit eBay some more and search for him! :lol:

The cup I got yesterday:

Also came with a dessert plate that I didn't care about one way or another but turned out to be quite pretty.