Tuesday TeaDay 7/15/08 Tea vendor fanatic?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How fanatical are you about where you buy your TEA?

Pretty fanatical
No votes
I am probably fanatical
No votes
Not very fanatical
No votes
I buy at the dollar store...or wherever
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 0

Jul 15th, '08, 18:07

by tenuki » Jul 15th, '08, 18:07

Victoria wrote:Is that the 32 oz? It looks smaller.
Ya, it is smaller. First time around I ordered the large one by mistake and the small tealight warmer. Nothing fit. So now I have both sizes of the de Chine and both sizes of the tea warmer. Thing is, I like both sizes - so grows my teaware...
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jul 15th, '08, 18:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 15th, '08, 18:43

tenuki wrote:
Victoria wrote:Is that the 32 oz? It looks smaller.
Ya, it is smaller. First time around I ordered the large one by mistake and the small tealight warmer. Nothing fit. So now I have both sizes of the de Chine and both sizes of the tea warmer. Thing is, I like both sizes - so grows my teaware...
I have a 16 oz one - not Bodum, I've been using it a lot. You have me thinking I need the 32 oz. I liked the look of the 32 oz on the cast iron warmer too though.

I hesitate to say this but that top shot ... well, does the word magicicada mean anything to you?

In my cup now - some TS Huang Guan Yin.

Jul 15th, '08, 18:51

Re: 2003 Keyixing Yiwu

by Geekgirl » Jul 15th, '08, 18:51

Salsero wrote: Do you see the two little Japanese boats sailing west by northwest across the tray?

Click for a larger image.
Wow. very beautiful, especially that lovely pattern on the interior of the cup. Just wow.

Jul 15th, '08, 20:24

by henley » Jul 15th, '08, 20:24

Space Samurai wrote: Image
Incredibly cool pic!!! 8)
Tenuki wrote:Bring the tea to the flowers not the flowers to the tea.
Maybe where you live but not here! It's been almost 90* & extremely humid. I'll take my tea & flowers w/some AC, please. :wink:
Victoria wrote:I hesitate to say this but that top shot ... well, does the word magicicada mean anything to you?
Before I even read your comment, I couldn't help but think that the tea leaves look like they're fighting to be on the top of one another.

Nothing in my cup yet. Let's see if I can remedy this situation!

Jul 15th, '08, 20:56

Surfer Dudes

by Salsero » Jul 15th, '08, 20:56

Victoria wrote: Nice Pic Sal! But they look less like boats and more like little
surfer dudes to this CA girl! Hummm maybe even turquoise
jet skis!!
I think those ancient sail boats that plied the Sea of Japan were not a lot bigger than a surfer dude, probably just as graceful, and surely more daring. In any event, their picturesque grace was no match for the men-of-war that came from the West. I don't think they had the cool music and the ipods though.

In my cup: TEA! :shock:

Jul 15th, '08, 21:01

by Katrina » Jul 15th, '08, 21:01

henley wrote: BTW, for anyone who like architectural style photos, check out this shot.
I must admit that your description made me have flashbacks to a photography instructor I once had who used to critique shots by announcing, "That's not about art! That's about architecture!"

Whether about art or about architecture, I think you captured a really cool shot! :lol:
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Jul 15th, '08, 21:40

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jul 15th, '08, 21:40

I consider myself pretty fanatical about where I buy my tea. I go through my own complicated process when deciding where to order tea from. First, I read other people's recommendations for vendors for the type of tea that I am looking for. Then, I visit the website and look through it thoroughly to find out about the vendor, the tea offered, and the shipping costs. Once I do that for a bunch of vendors, I make shopping carts in each place, but don't purchase anything until I have compared what I can get at each vendor and what it would cost me, factoring in if I tried teas from the vendor before and how good the recommendations for the vendor were.

It took me about a month and a half to figure out what oolongs I wanted and where to get them. I ended up making an order from Hou De over the weekend after deliberating between at least five different vendors. Hou De had one package left of the 90s Aged Nan Tou that I had tried in a sample from Victoria and absolutely loved so that sealed the vendor choice for this round of tea purchases.

Today, I had more Oolong #8, but switched to Hashiri Shincha for the evening. I wasn't overly fond of the Hashiri at first, but I think the flavor is growing on me.

Jul 15th, '08, 21:53

by CynTEAa » Jul 15th, '08, 21:53

Hi everyone! Was on vacation for a bit - what did I miss? :)

Jul 15th, '08, 22:20

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Jul 15th, '08, 22:20

I am somewhat fanatical....it depends which tea it is.....if it is TaiPing Hou Kui I have a speciffic person I order from....same for silver needle.....other than that I like to try different shops online and I just order small amounts that way if it is horrible I didnt break the bank doing it.

-Nick (TaiPing)

*Today - Bancha

Jul 15th, '08, 22:23

by kymidwife » Jul 15th, '08, 22:23

So far, I am not that fanatical about *trying* different tea sources... but very fanatical about not buying crappy tea more than once. I think its possible to find a jewel in an unexpected place... such as the Revolution Dragon Eye Oolong tea I have only found in a grocery store, and absolutely love. And I think its possible to find absolute crap, even in a place that is supposed to sell good product.

So, I sample here and there, and I'm making a gradual inventory of what I love, what I am ambivalent about, and what I never want again. I anticipate that I will eventually be pretty fanatical about where I buy, once I know which vendors have the things I really love... but I also think I will always be willing to try something unknown, because its fun.

Big tea day here so far... thanks to an Uptons order received last night. I had their Irish Breakfast this morning, very nice. I had my Adagio "Just Peachy" blend of peach oolong and white peach throughout the day at work today. My best friend came over to try some new tea after work and we had some SpecialTeas Tung Ting Jade Oolong (her first intro to unflavored unsweetened oolong)... then we had ummmm... some Osmanthus Oolong from Uptons... first infusion hot and it was verrrrry good... 2nd infusion I made her a glass of iced tea for the road, and one for myself and it was awwwwwwwwesome... love the osmanthus! I have another upton osmanthus: China Guangxi Gui-Hua which I haven't tried yet... but it doesn't smell as good as the oolong... gonna have that again before I go to bed, it's so freakin delicious.

I may never sleep.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jul 15th, '08, 22:40

by Salsero » Jul 15th, '08, 22:40

CynTEAa wrote:Was on vacation for a bit - what did I miss?
It depends on what you were aiming at.

Jul 15th, '08, 22:59

by Chip » Jul 15th, '08, 22:59

Welcome HOME Cyn!!!

Just brewing the remains of the day, a day's worth of soggy tired leaves.

...that and drinking my FIRST soda of 2008. I was on a pretty intense bike ride and just craved a soda like nothing else. I wanted corn syrup, artificial flavors, and preservatives, Delicious!!! :twisted: So, Sierra Mist is in my cup now. I think I have the poll for tomorrow.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 15th, '08, 23:27

by Victoria » Jul 15th, '08, 23:27

CynTEAa wrote:Hi everyone! Was on vacation for a bit - what did I miss? :)
Well we missed you!! You only missed more
oolongongian wins, conversions and oh yeah ...

THE OOLONG BOX PASS!!

Jul 15th, '08, 23:32

by Victoria » Jul 15th, '08, 23:32

Chip wrote:...that and drinking my FIRST soda of 2008. I was on a pretty intense bike ride and just craved a soda like nothing else. I wanted corn syrup, artificial flavors, and preservatives, Delicious!!! :twisted: So, Sierra Mist is in my cup now. I think I have the poll for tomorrow.
Sierra Mist is so ... Green.
Nothing like a nice Diet Pepsi every now and then!

Jul 16th, '08, 09:48

by CynTEAa » Jul 16th, '08, 09:48

Salsero wrote:
CynTEAa wrote:Was on vacation for a bit - what did I miss?
It depends on what you were aiming at.
Very good question! It is likely the lack of aiming that is the problem. (BTW - I love your brain, Sal! :D )

Been having vivid dreams lately. In one of them I came back to TeaChat and everyone was talking about SODA. :wink: