Wednesday 8/13/08 UNOPENED teas, how many?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How many teas do have that are UNOPENED? Do you have more open or unopen?

None, and obviously more open than unopen
28%
1 or 2 and more open than unopen
15%
1 or 2 and more unopen than open
2%
Less than 5, and more open than unopen
11%
Less than 5 and more unopen than open
No votes
Less than 10 and more open than unopen
15%
Less than 10 and more unopen than open
2%
Less than 20 and more open than unopen
8%
Less than 20 and more unopen than open
2%
More than 20 and more open than unopen
13%
More than 20 and more unopen than open
4%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 53

Aug 13th, '08, 22:36

by auggy » Aug 13th, '08, 22:36

Victoria wrote:Fushichou is a phoenix but a houou or feng huang is made up of many different birds.

"Unlike the Phoenix of the Western World, the Feng-Huang is immortal without needing to go through a cycle of death and re-birth" - New World Encyclopedia
Thanks! It was throwing me off because both were translated as phoenix so I wasn't able to tell the distinction until I looked it up in my dictionary at home. Much easier to have you do the leg work! :mrgreen:

Aug 13th, '08, 23:00

by Cinnamon Kitty » Aug 13th, '08, 23:00

I voted none, but then remembered that I have two that are not opened. One is a lavender sencha that I got from Wegmans which I am not sure about opening since it does not expire until 2010 and the other is a sencha with matcha that came in a very pretty purple package which was found in Disney at Epcot at the Japan part. Neither I am looking particularly forward to opening, but may do so eventually just for kicks. All other teas are opened. The opened list includes about 13 decent sized containers and a bunch of samples. Two of the 13 are almost gone and only have about one more serving left.

Today was Organic Monk's Blend followed by Hashiri Shincha.

Aug 13th, '08, 23:18
Scrolling: scrolling

We finally have a mascot!

by Salsero » Aug 13th, '08, 23:18

jewelbug wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Ha! If I keep him I'm gonna name him Matcha.
Matcha's a cutie. A new forum mascot, perhaps?
Yippee! On the same day that there is all this talk about the hou-ou, feng huang, phoenix, or whatever BIRD, into our collective lives flies our first forum mascot ... and it turns out he is green and his name is Matcha. I'm stoked! I'm sure this is an omen and a very good one. Whoppie! Special congrats go out to Geekgirl who figured out his name was Matcha without him even being able to talk.
jewelbug wrote: I need to hit some antique stores, I think. Hubby's going to be gone this weekend and the antique district isn't far...
Do. My little excursion was a lot of fun, even if I was flying solo.

Aug 14th, '08, 00:24

by Geekgirl » Aug 14th, '08, 00:24

Thanks to a very nice lady on Craigslist, Matcha has a new (free) home to get him through until more appropriate arrangements can be made.

Aug 14th, '08, 00:30

by chamekke » Aug 14th, '08, 00:30

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Image
Adorable photo! I hope that Matcha is having a nice rest-up after the stress of being lost.

I wish we could keep her as the group mascot, though. I would totally be willing to take her out for walks.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 14th, '08, 00:32

by Salsero » Aug 14th, '08, 00:32

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Image
Mmmm, purple's not his best color. He looks very happy though.

Aug 14th, '08, 02:50

by Space Samurai » Aug 14th, '08, 02:50

If I have an unopened tea in my cabinet, its a mistake.

Finishing the night with some fuka supreme. Earlier I drank some TGY and some tea flowers.

Last night, I had this dream.... I was in a video game, one of those first-person-shooter war types, and there were these penguins. That had some guns. And they hid in a storm drain. So I tossed some grenades in the drain and blew 'em up. and they left imprints in the concrete, like in a cartoon when some one gets hit with a frying pan, in the shape of a penguin. So I wake up and forget about the dream, right. Till later, when it comes back and replays in a flash, and I can't stop laughing, only saying the word "penguins" again and again. Got some looks over that. :roll:

Aug 14th, '08, 03:00

by doyoulovedee » Aug 14th, '08, 03:00

Space Samurai wrote:If I have an unopened tea in my cabinet, its a mistake.

Finishing the night with some fuka supreme. Earlier I drank some TGY and some tea flowers.

Last night, I had this dream.... I was in a video game, one of those first-person-shooter war types, and there were these penguins. That had some guns. And they hid in a storm drain. So I tossed some grenades in the drain and blew 'em up. and they left imprints in the concrete, like in a cartoon when some one gets hit with a frying pan, in the shape of a penguin. So I wake up and forget about the dream, right. Till later, when it comes back and replays in a flash, and I can't stop laughing, only saying the word "penguins" again and again. Got some looks over that. :roll:
aww... sounds as crazy as one of my dreams.

Aug 14th, '08, 08:40

by CynTEAa » Aug 14th, '08, 08:40

Space Samurai wrote:If I have an unopened tea in my cabinet, its a mistake.

Weirdly, I had a penguin t-shirt on yesterday that I purchased close to a year ago and never wore. Coincidence? :shock:

Aug 14th, '08, 15:02

by laran7 » Aug 14th, '08, 15:02

The wording of the question tripped me up when I glanced at it quickly and answered in a hurry (I should know better than to do that by now.)

I answered "one or two teas, more open than unopen" - I should have answered
about ten - more open than not.

I have (open) six Oolangs, two darjeelings, one Assam and one Chinese sencha, two green teas with rice, one of these "dusted with Matcha."

And a Matcha.

I am experimenting with the Matcha dusted green - Oolongs and darjeelings are taking a back seat for now;

and I want to try a really good sencha ( I will keep reading for guidance).

Aug 14th, '08, 15:45

by Chip » Aug 14th, '08, 15:45

laran7 wrote: I am experimenting with the Matcha dusted green - Oolongs and darjeelings are taking a back seat for now;

and I want to try a really good sencha ( I will keep reading for guidance).
Japanese teas are fun for blending. There are many Japanese greens that seem to demand discipline. And then there are the casual ones that allow for blending and more casual enjoyment.

A really good sencha, Yutaka Midori from O-Cha is the best I have had this year. It is stellar, rather atypical of many sencha in it is very deeeep flavored and sweet, only lightly astringent. I highly recommend it.

If you want to try some blending on your own, the Daily Sencha is a great choice.

Aug 14th, '08, 17:03

by laran7 » Aug 14th, '08, 17:03

Chip wrote:
laran7 wrote: and I want to try a really good sencha ( I will keep reading for guidance).
A really good sencha, Yutaka Midori from O-Cha is the best I have had this year. It is stellar, rather atypical of many sencha in it is very deeeep flavored and sweet, only lightly astringent. I highly recommend it.

If you want to try some blending on your own, the Daily Sencha is a great choice.
Thank you - the Yutaka Midori sounds delicious in an interesting vegetably kind of way. I will try them next. Uptons and O'Cha by themselves have so many choices it is dizzying. I have had a lot of fun with experimenting; I'm fairly sensitive so I like to try something for a while before I decide yay or nay. This poll has so freed me from teabags and unidentifiable loose tea. Thanks.
I'm still drinking my cool steeped Matcha Gen-Mai Cha; and yes - people do think it is sea water. I'm not too :shock: