Monday TeaDay 10/13/08 TeaChat and personal journey?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic was from an anon who wondered when you were a new member to TeaChat, how much did TeaChat help you in your personal tea journey?

TeaChat helped tremendously when I joined
49%
TeaChat did help me when I joined
43%
Maybe it helped
6%
I do not think it helped
No votes
No, it did not help me when I joined
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 53

Oct 13th, '08, 17:04

by chad » Oct 13th, '08, 17:04

Chip wrote:I was sitting here reading all the interesting posts and it occured to me ... TeaChat is definitely an express lane, a short cut ... no, a very direct route in one's personal TeaJourney. I have honestly seen newer members learn more in 6 months here on TC than I did in 6 years learning on my own without TC, mainly through all the detours that vendors tend to create.
UncleIroh wrote: ... my first experience with sencha involved leaf from teavana (which may have been my first mistake right there), which i promptly boiled and steeped for five minutes ... if not for the brewing info on this forum, i might have concluded that i hated sencha and never come back to it. but i did, with techniques improved by the experience and knowledge shared here, and now it's a daily companion. so thank you, teachat!
Related to this thought, listening to vendors brewing directions, etc can retard that growth considerably. As I read newbie, UncleIroh's post, it reminded me of my very first green from RoT I ever had. Sky Between the Branches. The directions on the label said boiling water. That was nasty brew. It is amazing how we seem to have more TeaSmarts here than the "pros."

I think almost all of us have had sencha help on TeaChat!
I posted in this thread earlier today, but I have to add my additional $.02 worth.

As a newbie I appreciate the "learning" that goes on here. I've alluded to a BBQ forum that I frequent...it has the same feel but with more testosterone!

We started there as a bunch of guys that wanted to learn to do real BBQ. The forum was originally centric to one specific offset cooker. In a very short time we morphed into a group that welcomes everyone that wants to learn about 'que.

I was very comfortable here with the different sub-forums...as that's the way the bbq-brethren forum is setup. This way folks that have no desire to ever look into greens, or pu, or whatever don't have to sift through the posts if they don't care to.

Anyway, I appreciate this site. I've learned much in the short time I've been a part of it.

I'll close with the unbreakable rules of BBQ:

1. Never boil the ribs
2. BBQ is not "smoking" - smoking is a low temp preservation technique. Clear blue exhaust from the cooker is perfect for 'que.
3. If you're looking, you ain't cookin'.
4. It isn't the cooker, it's the cook.
:D :D :D

Oct 13th, '08, 17:09

by murrius » Oct 13th, '08, 17:09

leiche wrote: Settling in with a cup of Wuyi Amber from Red Blossom, and a slice of chocolate Guinness cake.
Please more details on chocolate Guiness cake. Imagine combining two of natures most generous gifts to the human race!

Oct 13th, '08, 17:20

by leiche » Oct 13th, '08, 17:20

murrius wrote:Please more details on chocolate Guiness cake. Imagine combining two of natures most generous gifts to the human race!
I made it using the recipe included here. It is soooooo good, and I don't even like Guinness.

Oct 13th, '08, 17:27

by caligatia » Oct 13th, '08, 17:27

I bookmarked that cake recipe. Wow. I want!!!

I've been drinking iced raspberry, but am craving a cup of something hot. I can't decide what to make, though. Really want more golden monkey, but don't wanna use up the sample too fast... I'll have some Irish breakfast. It's not what I'm craving, but it's still great stuff.

I posted a question to the Black Tea forum, by the way. Dark Siders, come discuss!

Oct 13th, '08, 17:33

by kymidwife » Oct 13th, '08, 17:33

On the subject of Darksiders... I think sometimes newbies can wrongly get the feeling that its "uncool" or old-fashioned or "out of the loop" to prefer black tea. Black teas are where most people start in their tea journey, and I think when we arrive here on TeaChat as newbies, we feel like kids who just left home for the first time, with nothing but Lipton or Luzianne in our backpacks, stepping into a world of sophisticated adults sipping the finest Japanese greens, high mountain oolongs, and aged pu. While that atmosphere is not really intentional from the seasoned TeaChatters, I suspect it is a common perception of newcomers, and it that can be a bit intimidating. Tea peer pressure. 8)

My experience on this has been one of growth and exploration, partially from this unspoken sense that I was missing out on the better things in life by drinking only blacks. Over the last 5 or 6 months, I've tried tons of new things, fallen in love with oolongs, experimented with some interesting and enjoyable pu, and started to finally really enjoy good green tea when properly brewed. And for a time, I drifted far away from black teas, especially the flavored ones of my early journey.

But, my journey has brought me full circle, because I have recently discovered the greenish/oolongish Darjeelings of the world, which sort of technically still fall into the black category... and that is definitely my tea of choice at this time. I'm also loving Golden Monkey lots!

So, I am enlightened and enriched by my knowledge and experience of the wide variety of teas out there, but I have no shame in loving and indulging in good black tea. Newbies and lovers of black tea, stand proud!

As my mother once told me (about boys)... There are lots of flavors out there, and no one can tell you which one YOU will ultimately love the most. You like what you like. But... be sure to sample quite a few before you commit to just one. You might be surprised at what appeals to you as your palate matures.

Good ole Mom. :D She's a smart cookie.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Oct 13th, '08, 17:39

by murrius » Oct 13th, '08, 17:39

Thanks leiche. I"ve also bookmarked the recipe. I am definately going to try it. It reminds me of another perfect but largely under-thought-of combo - peanut butter cookies with strong coffee as part of the liquid.

Oct 13th, '08, 17:49

by chamekke » Oct 13th, '08, 17:49

Just wanted to say - great posting, Sarah! You rock :D

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Oct 13th, '08, 18:02

by geeber1 » Oct 13th, '08, 18:02

Good ole Mom. Very Happy She's a smart cookie.
And I hear she's got some interesting panties, too! :)

Thanks, Sarah, your posts always seem to hit the nail right on the head. Maybe we Dark Siders think we're just a tad bit boring compared to the Oolongians and the Green Collective!

Oct 13th, '08, 18:03

by caligatia » Oct 13th, '08, 18:03

*applauds Sarah*

Oct 13th, '08, 18:04

by Wosret » Oct 13th, '08, 18:04

Great points, Sarah!

I'm definitely making that cake. Possibly for my birthday (in March)! It looks sooooooooo goooooood.

Oct 13th, '08, 18:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '08, 18:08

Well said Sarah!! And TBT the Oolong Queen is very much into starting her day with a nice Black Tea. Greener Darjeelings have really taken me by surprise and I'm learning more and more as I venture into the Dark Side!!

Errr ... the greener side of the Dark Side that is.

Oct 13th, '08, 18:28

by augie » Oct 13th, '08, 18:28

chad wrote:I'll close with the unbreakable rules of BBQ:
Ah, BBQMaster, you've forgotten the golden rule:
"Pork Fat Rules!"

I have learned a lot from teachat, however I would have found the info I needed one way or another if it didn't exist.

Funny Dog story of the day: Got home from work to find an enormous bag of glitter broken all over my bedroom floor. My basset hound had done a little "shopping" in my dd's bedroom today! I just can't wait to see how everything comes out!!! :lol:

Oct 13th, '08, 18:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Oct 13th, '08, 18:55

I love TeaChat and have learned a ton. I've also spent LOTS of money, but in all fairness have probably saved just as much because of the invaluable resources of sharing samples, reading personal reviews and learning from others' mistakes.

Today has been a quiet day for me. I'm sampling a couple of Chai teas, including this excellent "Rainforest Chai" from Tea Chai Te here in Portland.

I also wrote a short story for the RIP III Tiny Story challenge. You can find it HERE if you are interested. I'm quite proud of it, the rules are: Exactly 100 words, no repeated words. (not including the title.)

Oct 13th, '08, 19:15

by daughteroftheKing » Oct 13th, '08, 19:15

TeaChat was a tremendous help when I started. It still is; I learn something new here all the time. When I discovered this site, I only knew that I'd always liked tea...and that was about all I knew. TC was also the very first place on the web where I posted anything, so major tech breakthrough for this ol' gal.
augie wrote:
chad wrote:Funny Dog story of the day: Got home from work to find an enormous bag of glitter broken all over my bedroom floor.... I just can't wait to see how everything comes out!!! :lol:
HAHAHAHAHA! As the mom of a nosy cocker spaniel who has recently discovered that she can get into the kitchen trash, I understand!

After some nice Irish Breakfast this morning, at work I've been drinking some Black Peach (Twinings bags) that my boss just brought me from her vacation. Smells good, and I love peach, but...oh well, at least she thought of me.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Oct 13th, '08, 19:55

by eor1122 » Oct 13th, '08, 19:55

leiche wrote:
murrius wrote:Please more details on chocolate Guiness cake. Imagine combining two of natures most generous gifts to the human race!
I made it using the recipe included here. It is soooooo good, and I don't even like Guinness.
sounds almost as good as a cake a friend of mine's mother made one time that used almost a whole bottle of Southern Comfort. MMmmmm that was so good. She won't share the recipe though :cry:

now drinking strawberry-kiwi iced tea that I made for my daughters