Why the big deal with YiXing ware???

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Nov 16th, '08, 12:24
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Nov 16th, '08, 12:24

TIM wrote: Of course Gingko, fine aged traditional fired Anxi TGY responds well too any boiling temp.... just if you can still find them : P Anxi TGY from my experience (besides the competition grade or Mother tree stuff) is the most expensive oolong on the market. So, to waste another 6 months for the roasting process and 1 more year to settle the fire = loss profit for tea vendors.

Anyhow, in ancient time (Ming Dynasty) a man will held an yixing in his palm all day, pouring the warm tea directly into his mouth, so I guess either boiling water was not always available or he must had a mighty 1st degree burned mouth? :lol:
Yeah nowadays even tea there are fake ones. It looks like so many vendors try to sell mixtures of TGY and less expensive tea :P

About names of pure TGY, I think that's something else up for vendors to clarify. When a vendor sell a TGY (assume it's purely real), it should be labeled "traditional roast" or "green(?) roast". Chinese vendors usually will label traditional roast as "zheng wei" (classic flavor) or "chun xiang", and label green roast as "xiao qing" or "qing xiang". I guess, traditional roast is not harder to make than green oolong (if not counting the 6 months sitting part), and shelf life is longer. Green oolong was a dominant trend in past decade and was favored by the market. Now it seems traditional roast comes back and starts to be trendy in the market. And it leaves producers and vendors less worry about shelf life. So I look forward to seeing traditional roast gets more common and less expensive - my optimistic prediction :lol:
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Nov 16th, '08, 12:33
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Nov 16th, '08, 12:33

Oh, about the drinking from spout way, it's mostly a northern China scene. And by that time, dominant teas in northern China were green teas, so it was totally different from the hot, hot water gong fu style. I can imagine, in ancient time when life style was not as sanitary as we have nowadays, this could be a healthy way of drinking - reducing the chance of fallen dusts or germs than using a cup.

I am actually thinking of appointing a small kyusu for the "drinking from spout" purpose (after my uncle told me a friend of his used a kyusu-like tea pot to drink in this way). But I haven't got the gut to try it yet. I've never done such drinking before, and don't know how it feels and what it will look like in others' eyes :P

Nov 16th, '08, 12:38

by chrl42 » Nov 16th, '08, 12:38

I mentioned already, that Taiwan's Mu Zha TGY is the only maker that is likely to perpetuate the tradtional method.

Googled it, found Houde :D

Nov 16th, '08, 12:44
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Nov 16th, '08, 12:44

chrl42 wrote:I mentioned already, that Taiwan's Mu Zha TGY is the only maker that is likely to perpetuate the tradtional method.

Googled it, found Houde :D
How about the traditional roast from Fu Jian An Xi?

Nov 16th, '08, 12:49

by chrl42 » Nov 16th, '08, 12:49

Hmm, it was not my opinion.

Taiwanese professor Jiang Yu Fa, I don't doubt his claim knowing how powerful his presence is in China tea world.

You want his email? :D

Nov 16th, '08, 13:08
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Nov 16th, '08, 13:08

chrl42 wrote:Hmm, it was not my opinion.

Taiwanese professor Jiang Yu Fa, I don't doubt his claim knowing how powerful his presence is in China tea world.

You want his email? :D
Oh, I didn't mean to question the opinion, but just curious to know the difference in processing procedures :D
I know sometimes producers skip steps that undermine the product quality but save costs. I wonder if that is the case that makes difference between different so claimed traditional procedures. And at the other hand, some reforms in modern processing may be better than the original way in traditional processing. That's why I am curious about the differences.

Nov 16th, '08, 15:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Nov 16th, '08, 15:11

TIM wrote:You are right ABX jade, Li Shan, DYL and Bai Hou aka Oriental beauty are all Taiwanese oolong, and the better one are more tolerant to higher temp. But when you are talking about TGY from Anxi, they are way more sensative.
I haven't had any problem with Anxi oolongs in boiling water, though I do quick steeps. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Either way I'm sure they can benefit from yixing.

Nov 16th, '08, 22:06

by cheaton » Nov 16th, '08, 22:06

Tea Gallery has an awesome high fire TKY.

http://www.theteagallery.com/Iron_Bodhi ... of-cib.htm

This is a great tea. You can brew this all night and it barely skips a beat.

+ Post Reply