Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 1st, '10, 15:19

Re: What Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by debunix » Sep 1st, '10, 15:19

The red label Sea Dyke brand Ti Kuan Yin, still pleasing after all these years.

Sep 1st, '10, 19:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Sep 1st, '10, 19:29

churng wrote:Trying out HouDe for the very first time and so far what I have tried has met expectations.
The boazhong is great brewed stronger then usual, with a little more leaf then usual. A real nice creaminess comes out like that along with all the typical boazhong goodness.
Yeah that's what I said. :)
I'll probably order some more of this since,
DYL seems to be out everywhere.

Sep 2nd, '10, 01:11

by NOESIS » Sep 2nd, '10, 01:11

From my last Naivetea order, Da Yu Ling and Mu Zha TGY. Both get pretty high marks.

Sep 4th, '10, 11:02

by tenuki » Sep 4th, '10, 11:02

some roasted dong ding - fan !@#!@ tastic.

Sep 4th, '10, 16:38

by theory » Sep 4th, '10, 16:38

A very tasty Bai Ji Guan

Sep 6th, '10, 12:40

by Alex » Sep 6th, '10, 12:40

Some "yellow gold ooolong" from jing. its cheap and nasty. I had a bag before and it was alright but this one is so perfumed and flowery its too much. I like my oolong creamy and smooth and this is all citrus and stupid.

Its the only bag of tea I have at the moment and its making me feel a little sick but I'm drinking it anyway :lol: . I got loads in the post just need to hang in there. :|

Sep 6th, '10, 18:08

by Herb_Master » Sep 6th, '10, 18:08

Zensuji wrote:Some "yellow gold ooolong" from jing. its cheap and nasty. I had a bag before and it was alright but this one is so perfumed and flowery its too much. I like my oolong creamy and smooth and this is all citrus and stupid.

Its the only bag of tea I have at the moment and its making me feel a little sick but I'm drinking it anyway :lol: . I got loads in the post just need to hang in there. :|
which Jing?

JingTea UK
JingTeaShop China

they both do a Hang Jin Gui

Sep 7th, '10, 18:12

by theory » Sep 7th, '10, 18:12

I'm not, which is making me a little sad. I had my heart set on a a nice WuYi, but I wasn't being very mindful, and when I emptied my spoon of tea into the warmed pot I was surprised to see little red rose buds. I'd accidentally grabbed the rose black tea I keep on hand for serving to friends :oops: .
Still, tea is better than no tea - and on a grad student budget I'm not throwing it out. :mrgreen:

Sep 7th, '10, 18:15

by theory » Sep 7th, '10, 18:15

Zensuji wrote: I got loads in the post just need to hang in there. :|
I hear ya. I am not good at waiting.

Sep 7th, '10, 22:27

by JustinW » Sep 7th, '10, 22:27

Tsuei Luan. I usually brew this one ghetto style in a black coffee mug as my everyday 'bummin around' tea, but today I brewed it gongfu. It tastes excellent in my mug (the few Taiwanese I've tried all do), but it's completely different gongfu style, in particular the fruity flavors are much bolder. In the later infusions the fruit subsides and the flowery notes become more prominent.

I'm starting to crave Taiwanese. Time to place an order. :D

Sep 15th, '10, 00:42

by debunix » Sep 15th, '10, 00:42

Shocking to have a week without any posts about oolong. Must be that uppity young puerh from the OTTI!

Now drinking some Korean Oolong from Hankook, quite long since I have drunk some, and it is so nice, plums, cherries, sweet, mellow, hint of spiciness in the background, hitting just the right note tonight.

Sep 15th, '10, 02:16

by NOESIS » Sep 15th, '10, 02:16

A delightful "classic roast" TKY from The Tea Gallery.

Sep 15th, '10, 03:30

by Tead Off » Sep 15th, '10, 03:30

debunix wrote:Shocking to have a week without any posts about oolong. Must be that uppity young puerh from the OTTI!

Now drinking some Korean Oolong from Hankook, quite long since I have drunk some, and it is so nice, plums, cherries, sweet, mellow, hint of spiciness in the background, hitting just the right note tonight.
I've yet to see a Korean Oolong. Can you post a pic of the dry leaves, please? So far, all of what I've seen in oxidized Korean teas have been Balhyocha (yellow tea) and sometimes labeled black tea, which has tasted to me like Balhyocha. OTOH, all of these teas have tasted more similar to black teas, in particular, Darjeelings, but still retain their 'Koreanness' in their lack of astringency and unique flavor. Aroma of dry leaves is great.

Sep 15th, '10, 03:52

by debunix » Sep 15th, '10, 03:52

I think this really is a Korean yellow tea, but it does say, right there on the label, "Oolong Tea".

And the flavor is unique, but closer to an Oriental Beauty oolong than a black tea for me, but since I generally dislike black teas and drink them very sparingly, I may not be the best judge of the true character of this one!

More notes and pics of the tea are on my tea pages here, and someplace in TeaChat but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

Sep 15th, '10, 11:32

by Victoria » Sep 15th, '10, 11:32

Debunix, previously when I inquired at Hankook about their "Korean" oolongs, they told me all of them are imported from Taiwan. I can't speak for the one you have, you would have to ask.

Korean oolong is out there, but you have to really search for it. The easiest place and USA, is Shan Shui Teas:
http://www.shanshuiteas.com/product.php ... tegoryID=2

+ Post Reply