Wednesday, 7/02/08 TeaDay All time favorite tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

OK, your favorite OF ALL TIME NOW, what is your all time favorite tea?

Black
24%
(oolong)
33%
Green
30%
White
2%
Yellow
No votes
Pu-erh
8%
Rooibos
No votes
Herbal
3%
Yerbe Mate
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 63

Jul 2nd, '08, 15:10

by tenuki » Jul 2nd, '08, 15:10

bi lew chun wrote: Ooo, I had my eye on that pot for a while. Stephane mentioned that the handles can get a bit hot... your experience or no?
Nope, I'm thinking it may have been another pot, I brew with boiling water, pre-heat, and pour boiling water over the pot during brewing, and didn't even think the handle was warm. The lid got a tiny bit warm, but not uncomfortable. But then, I used to work as a cook and could flip stuff on the grill with my fingers as long as it wasn't stuck so maybe take my experience with a grain of salt.

The pot is still new to me, I'll have better info after a couple of weeks. :) It pours great, does great things to the tea, looks cool. buy it!

Jul 2nd, '08, 15:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 2nd, '08, 15:13

cane wrote:
Victoria wrote:
cane wrote:Once again oolong is my vote. I think my favorite of all time was a 2006 harvest of Jian Bin Qi Lan. It had the most amazing chocolatey tones to it, sadly I have yet to find something as good again, but my quest continues.
Nice pics!

I have not heard of that oolong is it a wuyi?
Yes it was a Wuyi oolong, had been brought back from a friend's visit to China.
I have tried many Qi Lans from vendors here in the states, but nothing that matched the sweet chocolatey taste this one batch had.
Well as you may know 2006 was a very good year, and 2007 was a not so good year. In searching around a little I have learned a lot! I have found a good and a bad review of the one from Rishi. What ones have you tried? A promising one is the one from Jing Tea Shop, I've yet to be disappointed with that vendor. I found two decent reviews on the one from Teas, Etc. - but I know nothing of them.

Here are reviews from two of our members:
http://thegreenteareview.blogspot.com/2 ... i-lan.html
http://anotherteablog.blogspot.com/sear ... shi+oolong

Jul 2nd, '08, 15:22

by bi lew chun » Jul 2nd, '08, 15:22

tenuki wrote:
bi lew chun wrote: Ooo, I had my eye on that pot for a while. Stephane mentioned that the handles can get a bit hot... your experience or no?
Nope, I'm thinking it may have been another pot, I brew with boiling water, pre-heat, and pour boiling water over the pot during brewing, and didn't even think the handle was warm. The lid got a tiny bit warm, but not uncomfortable. But then, I used to work as a cook and could flip stuff on the grill with my fingers as long as it wasn't stuck so maybe take my experience with a grain of salt.

The pot is still new to me, I'll have better info after a couple of weeks. :) It pours great, does great things to the tea, looks cool. buy it!
Thanks for your impressions. And you're right, it was the Shi Piao Hu he used to carry. I like that Stephane gets into the characteristics of the clay. Without knowing that stuff it'd be easy to get an unsuitable pot for the tea one had in mind.

Jul 2nd, '08, 15:23

by cane » Jul 2nd, '08, 15:23

Victoria wrote:
cane wrote:
Victoria wrote:
cane wrote:Once again oolong is my vote. I think my favorite of all time was a 2006 harvest of Jian Bin Qi Lan. It had the most amazing chocolatey tones to it, sadly I have yet to find something as good again, but my quest continues.
Nice pics!

I have tried many Qi Lans from vendors here in the states, but nothing that matched the sweet chocolatey taste this one batch had.
Well as you may know 2006 was a very good year, and 2007 was a not so good year. In searching around a little I have learned a lot! I have found a good and a bad review of the one from Rishi. What ones have you tried? A promising one is the one from Jing Tea Shop, I've yet to be disappointed with that vendor. I found two decent reviews on the one from Teas, Etc. - but I know nothing of them.

Thank you so much for the time to provide the links!

I normally enjoy Jing's oolongs, but have tried their Qi Lan and isnt want I am looking for.
The reviews of Rishi sound promising, some mention of chocolate and raisin. I also have had good experience with Teas Etc in the past, so maybe I will give that one a try too.
I will let you know what I find out!
Thanks again :D

Jul 2nd, '08, 15:28

by Victoria » Jul 2nd, '08, 15:28

cane wrote:
Victoria wrote:
cane wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Nice pics!

Thank you so much for the time to provide the links!

I normally enjoy Jing's oolongs, but have tried their Qi Lan and isnt want I am looking for.
The reviews of Rishi sound promising, some mention of chocolate and raisin. I also have had good experience with Teas Etc in the past, so maybe I will give that one a try too.
I will let you know what I find out!
Thanks again :D
You're welcome! Anything for an oolong vote.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 2nd, '08, 15:54

by tenuki » Jul 2nd, '08, 15:54

bi lew chun wrote:Thanks for your impressions. And you're right, it was the Shi Piao Hu he used to carry. I like that Stephane gets into the characteristics of the clay. Without knowing that stuff it'd be easy to get an unsuitable pot for the tea one had in mind.
Correct, this is his current Zisha Shi Piao Hu, from the same maker, but darker clay and older, made 7 years ago.

And I just realized why I'm probably more heat resistant in the fingertips of my left hand.. guitar callouses. :D

Jul 2nd, '08, 16:36

by Beanbean » Jul 2nd, '08, 16:36

Okay. I don't understand the oolong love. I'm sitting here with a cup of Adagio Ti Kuan Yin and I'm trying really hard to like it.

I don't. It's bitter and flat. I used a teaspoon of leaves for approximately 9 ounces of water. I let it steep of 4 minutes.

Bleh.

I'm stubborn though, and I'm going to try a second steep. Any suggestions?

(coughcoughblacktearulescoughcough :roll: )

Jul 2nd, '08, 16:38

by Katrina » Jul 2nd, '08, 16:38

I must confess, to Chip's semi-delight and Victoria's consternation, that I jumped from the oolong bandwagon to black for this one. A year from now I may well be voting oolong but I am too new a convert to declare it my all-time winner. After almost exclusively sticking with black tea for 10 years, it is hard to turn my back on it. The past 2 years have been an adventure through whites, yellows, greens, and pu-erhs. We shall see what time will bring.

So far, NO tea today. Can't figure out how to hold that tea cup while chasing kids on a playground. Off to make my first cup. Maybe Silver Needle just to completely confuse the issue.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Jul 2nd, '08, 16:39

by Victoria » Jul 2nd, '08, 16:39

Beanbean wrote:Okay. I don't understand the oolong love. I'm sitting here with a cup of Adagio Ti Kuan Yin and I'm trying really hard to like it.

I don't. It's bitter and flat. I used a teaspoon of leaves for approximately 9 ounces of water. I let it steep of 4 minutes.

Bleh.

Temp?

Jul 2nd, '08, 16:42

by Beanbean » Jul 2nd, '08, 16:42

Victoria wrote:
Beanbean wrote:Okay. I don't understand the oolong love. I'm sitting here with a cup of Adagio Ti Kuan Yin and I'm trying really hard to like it.

Bleh.

Temp?
As close to 212 as I can get at 6000 feet above sea level. The water was probably about 10-15 seconds off a rolling boil. Is the water too hot? The label says 212 degrees for five minutes. (At this elevation, water boils at about 204 degrees, I believe.)

Jul 2nd, '08, 16:48

by Victoria » Jul 2nd, '08, 16:48

Beanbean wrote:
Victoria wrote:

Bleh.

Temp?
As close to 212 as I can get at 6000 feet above sea level. The water was probably about 10-15 seconds off a rolling boil. Is the water too hot? The label says 212 degrees for five minutes. (At this elevation, water boils at about 204 degrees, I believe.)
Sounds right, maybe you just don't like it.
Or maybe the darker ones are for you.

If you want to try once more - try a little more leaf, pour the water right away and give it 5 mins. Hopefully whatever you are infusing in is allowing the leaves to expand fully.

Jul 2nd, '08, 16:50

by henley » Jul 2nd, '08, 16:50

augie wrote: (Lack of) Caffeine was not my problem, relaxing with a good cup of tea was what I was lacking. We were at an indoor water park, dh doesn't swim. Watching 4 kids and keeping track of their stuff is more work than vacation. I was plenty "jacked-up on Starbucks"!
I've about decided the only way us moms can truly get a vacation is to go w/o the kids!

Bleh.

(coughcoughblacktearulescoughcough )
I struggled w/this one. Finally decided there were other oolongs I liked better. Might wanna up your leaf amount like Victoria said. Here's what finally worked for me:
1 tsp/6-8 oz water
150* water
5 min steep

If you like black tea, try Adagio's Oolong #8 or #40. They were my first oolongs & still keep them on hand.

Jul 2nd, '08, 16:57

by tenuki » Jul 2nd, '08, 16:57

TKY is about the only oolong I don't like.

Know this, there are gonna be oolongs you like. It's not like black or green. Oolongs encompass a vast range of tastes and styles. Vast.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jul 2nd, '08, 17:04

by henley » Jul 2nd, '08, 17:04

tenuki wrote:TKY is about the only oolong I don't like.
Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like it!

Now pass the baozhong, please. :D

Jul 2nd, '08, 17:10

by tenuki » Jul 2nd, '08, 17:10

henley wrote:
tenuki wrote:TKY is about the only oolong I don't like.
Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like it!

Now pass the baozhong, please. :D
Heh, baozhong pass was mailed out monday... ;)

There is a FLT wonder and an unopened/unsampled baozhong from Stephane (undoubtedly delicious if the one I kept is any indication). now, if we can just get Victoria and miss Russia to keep their hands off em long enough to get to you....