Independence Day 2008...TeaDay

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Happy 4th of July! Does tea figure in your holiday celebrations?

Yes, I am cooking out, but tea will definitely figure into my celebrating
27%
While I may not be cooking out today, tea will figure in
51%
Nope, not cooking out today, and tea will not be a part of my day
No votes
I am not living in the USA, but hope tea will be a part of the day
9%
Other
13%

Total votes: 45

Jul 4th, '08, 19:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 4th, '08, 19:41

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:ACK!!! I love those dogs! Everytime you post them I turn GREEN with envy! Are they porcelain resin?
That's funny because whenever you post any of your teaware I turn GREEN with envy!

We so have the same taste it's scarey!
They are resin.

Jul 4th, '08, 19:51

by Chip » Jul 4th, '08, 19:51

Victoria wrote:
laran7 wrote:Your pictures are ALL beautiful - I don't know where to begin ( or how :( )

Plenty of us amateurs post too! Don't worry.

Here is that delicious Baozhong from the
Oolong Box Pass
WOW...the baozhong looks realllllllly good. I am sure the dogs want a drink.

Indoor "picnics" are good for tea consumption anyway. I opened Shincha Sencha Traditional this afternoon...this is really really good asamushi cha. First attempt was most enjoyable.

A little later...I had my BEST Hatsumi session to date...went with virtual fukamushi parameters with a little more leaf but less time. Just really outstanding!!!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 4th, '08, 19:59

by bi lew chun » Jul 4th, '08, 19:59

britt wrote:To further reinforce that this is not a political forum, but a tea forum, I will match each candidate to a tea and teacup.

Ralph Nader- drinks only organic green tea in recycled paper cups.

Hillary Clinton- likes the teas with the pleasant aroma but no taste or substance. Uses black clay cups to mask the true color of the tea, because contrary to popular opinion, she's not a skilled brewer. Prefers 1000cc Yixings because teapots, like government, should be as large as possible.

Obama- same as "Hillary Clinton."

McCain- same as "Hillary Clinton."

Ron Paul- prefers gyokuro and two ounce white porcelain cups. He believes in small, quality batches of tea and government, with nothing hidden or masked.
I tend to stay away from politics on forums, but :D nonetheless.

Jul 4th, '08, 20:03

by henley » Jul 4th, '08, 20:03

laran7 wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
laran7 wrote:Your pictures are ALL beautiful - I don't know where to begin ( or how :( )
You just start by taking lots of pictures. Really, I have very little natural artistic ability. Everything I know (admittedly not much compared to true artists,) I cobbed from excellent photographers, and learned by extensive trial and (mostly) error. (I've learned quite a few things on here about doing stills/food.) I'd guess that most of us that have nice shots to post here have scores of photos that aren't viewing-worthy, and our early attempts barely resemble current output. But you have to start somewhere.

Besides, although we have fun with the "art of tea" with the photos, the real fun is just seeing what everyone else is doing - like a virtual tea party! No fancy photo abilities required. Just point, shoot and upload- Try it you'll like it!
Thank you - I will - I like arranging things - I honestly do feel like I've been to a tea party when I read this conversation everyday
Have a Happy Fourth!
I'm a point, shoot & upload girl. Obviously my shots don't include any fancy equipment but I still like having fun. Quite honestly, the backdrop for today's photo was a red shirt. :oops: For every one photo you see, there's at least half a dozen that get deleted.

If you like arranging things, it should come fairly natural. I'm used to building store displays & doing product shots for our store's newspaper & internet ads. I simply transferred those same aspects & started taking tea pics.

It really is fun seeing everybody's photos. There's a lot of talent around this place & some fabulous teaware that we otherwise wouldn't get to see. Hope to see you posting pics soon! :D

Jul 4th, '08, 20:26

by jim109 » Jul 4th, '08, 20:26

Yunnan gold from Adagio today. Much better than the last order, has that honey and peppery taste!! No BBQ here. Jim

Jul 4th, '08, 20:45

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 4th, '08, 20:45

Had some aged baozhong today. Mmm, good stuff!

Jul 4th, '08, 20:47

by Geekgirl » Jul 4th, '08, 20:47

Beautiful cup. Seriously, this forum is bad for my wallet.

Jul 4th, '08, 21:04

by Salsero » Jul 4th, '08, 21:04

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Image
Wow, even prettier and I can really see the lovely green glass plate nicely in this one. Just stunning.
Victoria wrote:Image

I think the pool term is "ringer" or maybe it's "hustler," but that's OK: we're not playing for money and the modesty is very becoming on you. This is so lovely and really makes me want baozhong, maybe like a quart or two.

And you let us get a peek at the cool rice grain window in the bowls that I want! Does this particular pouchong brew a little darker than others?

Thanks for sharing.

Jul 4th, '08, 21:16

by bi lew chun » Jul 4th, '08, 21:16

Why am I suddenly in the mood for some Fourth of July baozhong? :D

The one I have gives a great first infusion and then kinda craps out. Maybe I should have signed up for this box pass thing.

Jul 4th, '08, 21:54

by Victoria » Jul 4th, '08, 21:54

bi lew chun wrote: Maybe I should have signed up for this box pass thing.
Oh yeah. I wouldn't be reading the Oolong Box Pass post if I were you. There is some seriously wicked Baozhong in there and a host of premo things yet to be discovered. Legendary.

Jul 4th, '08, 22:01

by Victoria » Jul 4th, '08, 22:01

Salsero wrote:
Victoria wrote:Image

I think the pool term is "ringer" or maybe it's "hustler," but that's OK: we're not playing for money and the modesty is very becoming on you. This is so lovely and really makes me want baozhong, maybe like a quart or two.

And you let us get a peek at the cool rice grain window in the bowls that I want! Does this particular pouchong brew a little darker than others?

Thanks for sharing.
No, it starts out fairly light gold, what you are seeing here is the last steep, it got darker. Nice way to break in my Tokoname, huh? I'll be adding more pics to the
Oolong Box Pass
post, later this evening.

Jul 4th, '08, 22:01

by chamekke » Jul 4th, '08, 22:01

Victoria wrote:
Oh yeah. I wouldn't be reading the Oolong Box Pass post if I were you. There is some seriously wicked Baozhong in there and a host of premo things yet to be discovered. Legendary.
{whimpers enviously}

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 4th, '08, 22:02

by bi lew chun » Jul 4th, '08, 22:02

Victoria wrote:
When I finally saw the thread I hated myself a little. :cry:

I should step outside of TeaDay more often. It's just so fun in here though! 8)

Jul 4th, '08, 22:04

by Victoria » Jul 4th, '08, 22:04

scruffmcgruff wrote:Had some aged baozhong today. Mmm, good stuff!

Nice cup! And nice looking brew.
A Baozhong huh? What vendor, and what year would that be?
:wink:

Jul 4th, '08, 22:29

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 4th, '08, 22:29

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Beautiful cup. Seriously, this forum is bad for my wallet.
This cup? (I needed an excuse to post the other pic)

Not too hard on the wallet; it was only $1.50. Now I know why tenuki enjoys showing off his Daiso finds so much-- it's great fun! :D

Seriously, I don't know why some vendor doesn't take advantage of Daiso's stuff. You could easily sell these cups for $5+ each online.

Victoria: I forget the year, 82 I think? It's from Red Blossom. Pretty good stuff, IMO.