Fanatical Thursday 7/10/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Fanatical about your teacup? What is the ONE feature that is a MUST before you will sip from it?

SIZE is of paramount importance
26%
MATERIAL and TEXTURE...TOUCH
32%
It is all about SHAPE
12%
STYLE
12%
ORIGIN
No votes
COLOR
4%
Must have a WHITE interior (unless maybe it is glass)
14%
NAME of maker
No votes
PRICE
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 50

Jul 10th, '08, 23:19

by cane » Jul 10th, '08, 23:19

tenuki wrote: Sweet! thanks for the pics. I love your white electric kettle (??) in the background of that first pic.
:D Thanks, though it was just a real inexpensive one I picked up at Target, so I didnt have to suffer through the hot water that runs through the coffee pots at work. UCH!

Jul 10th, '08, 23:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jul 10th, '08, 23:22

Wowowow. I am drinking some Ito En Shincha (the last of the sample from scruff I believe,) brewed in my shudei kyusu, drunk from my new Deishi hagi teacup (Magokorodo on ebay,) and wow is it good. I think I hit the brewing exactly on the nose, and I might be imagining, but the right teaware... so good.

Pics tomorrow. Definitely.

On another note: I just wanted to say that I ordered this cup from Magokorodo/ Hidehisa-San. He was delightful to deal with. There was a mix-up with shipping, I upgraded to EMS and it still came SAL- only 9 days though. I mentioned it and he refunded the difference unrequested. Excellent service, and I was still happy even without the refund. I will definitely be doing repeat business with this store.
Last edited by Geekgirl on Jul 11th, '08, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 10th, '08, 23:36

by Victoria » Jul 10th, '08, 23:36

cane wrote:Image
WOW!!! That looks DELISH!!!

Jul 10th, '08, 23:44

by Geekgirl » Jul 10th, '08, 23:44

she teases:

Jul 10th, '08, 23:56

by Ladytiger » Jul 10th, '08, 23:56

No tea lately. It's just too hot. So, I put in a huge order for Adagio which includes the "you fill" tea bags so I can make iced tea. Stupid me sent it to my friend's house instead of my own (usually send it to my friend's house so i don't have to pay $2 more). Oh well, i was planning on seeing her anyway for her b-day.

In other news, my kitty's sick and we'll have to humanly euthinize her Saturday if she doesn't get any better. :( Such is life but I'll manage.

Jul 10th, '08, 23:58

by Space Samurai » Jul 10th, '08, 23:58

I drank a fair bit of tea today, at least by my standards of late. Some rui gui and jin xuan oolong, now I'm drinking some yutaka midori. I must say I'm getting better at brewing sencha, but my gong fu skills are still all over the place.

I also had some of this green tea sake:

One of my beer/wine guys gave it to me for helping him out with some numbers. I expected it to be nasty in the most delightful college freshman kind of way; I was thinking the Boone's of sake, but it wasn't bad at all. Tasted like someone blended Ramune with sake and used a half way decent sake. A little ashamed to admit it, but I'd drink more of this quite happily.

Jul 11th, '08, 00:01

by Riene » Jul 11th, '08, 00:01

Ladytiger wrote:In other news, my kitty's sick and we'll have to humanly euthinize her Saturday if she doesn't get any better. :( Such is life but I'll manage.

I'm so sorry. I hope she gets better.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 11th, '08, 00:08

by chamekke » Jul 11th, '08, 00:08

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:she teases:

Beautiful!!!

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 11th, '08, 01:03

by kymidwife » Jul 11th, '08, 01:03

Well, as I posted earlier, travel issues put me off to a slow start to my tea day. Before I left my crappy hotel in Nashville, I found some hot water and used a Twinings Irish Breakfast teabag, and that got me over the hump.

After landing in Dallas, I arrived at the lovely Hilton Anatole, unpacked, and immediately brewed some peach ginger black for iced tea... went out for festivities and dinner at the conference, and have since come back to have 3 steeps of TKY. My cup choices were white coffee cups or a nice-shaped hotel glass... and I chose the glass so I could enjoy the color of the TKY. I suppose I can't get a decent 4th infusion out of those leaves... but one more sounds good. I'll just have alittle more iced peach and call it a night.

Oh, and in honor of the Harry Potter conference, I have been sporting a lovely black velvet cloak all day, with a sheer rose and black lace overlay... and tinted my hair pink so I could cosplay Nymphadora Tonks. Tomorrow I may break out the Deatheater outfit. Contrary to movie portrayal, deatheaters can be quite sexy if they wear a slinky black dress and heels, and I intend to prove it.

Happy Tea Day to all,

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jul 11th, '08, 02:14

by Chip » Jul 11th, '08, 02:14

Katrina wrote: Jeesh, Chip, can you think about anything but oolong? 8)

I realized today that I am just resistant to being forced into things. All those days that Chip has been trying desperately to get us to forsake our oolong for green, I drank oolong almost every day with some blacks thrown in. Today, he stopped mentioning greens and I started the day with Green Anji and then just had Genmaicha with a friend. I guess I'm just stubborn.
What ever you do, Katrina, DO NOT DRINK GREEN TEA!!! :lol: *cracked up!* So, what are my motives in all this psychology...or reverse psychology... :lol: Let me know when you figure it out. Til then, drink OOLONG.

Jul 11th, '08, 04:56

by britt » Jul 11th, '08, 04:56

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:On another note: I just wanted to say that I ordered this cup from Magokorodo/ Hidehisa-San. He was delightful to deal with. There was a mix-up with shipping, I upgraded to EMS and it still came SAL- only 9 days though. I mentioned it and he refunded the difference unrequested. Excellent service, and I was still happy even without the refund. I will definitely be doing repeat business with this store.
My first order with Magokorodo (on Trocadero) was screwed up but the way Hidehisa handled it impressed me very much. That was less than 1 year ago, and I have placed a total of eight orders with him since then. I've been very happy with all of them and the service is consistently excellent.

Jul 11th, '08, 08:09

by Riene » Jul 11th, '08, 08:09

kymidwife wrote:Oh, and in honor of the Harry Potter conference, I have been sporting a lovely black velvet cloak all day, with a sheer rose and black lace overlay... and tinted my hair pink so I could cosplay Nymphadora Tonks. Tomorrow I may break out the Deatheater outfit. Contrary to movie portrayal, deatheaters can be quite sexy if they wear a slinky black dress and heels, and I intend to prove it.

Happy Tea Day to all,

Sarah
:shock: Sarah, may I ask what you do, that you get to go to HP conferences and get to dress up a bit? I admit to book envy!
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jul 11th, '08, 09:27

by Zodduska » Jul 11th, '08, 09:27

Nice photos everyone.

GeekgirlUnveiled, I think I have the same cup and it's part of the reason I voted for texture.. hagi ware has such a great feel.
I can't wait to touch this one..

This morning I'm drinking Tsui Feng Oolong :D

Jul 11th, '08, 09:46

by Katrina » Jul 11th, '08, 09:46

Zodduska wrote:hagi ware has such a great feel.
I can't wait to touch this one..
I have to say, Zodduska, that that cup gives me the heebie jeebies. It reminds me of those flowers they call "brain flowers." (I think they're actually called Celosia.) I think my teaware tastes haven't evolved enough yet. :oops:
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Jul 11th, '08, 10:17

by Zodduska » Jul 11th, '08, 10:17

Sorry Katrina, I didn't mean to make anyone uncomfortable. :wink:
The first time I saw this style it was a Seigan teabowl, I wasn't sure if I liked it either, really strange and very organic looking but after I saw the yunomi I watched the auction for a few days it really grew on me and I just had to get my hands on it. 8)
ps. sorry if anyone else here was bidding on it, hopefully more like it will come up again soon.