Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

Tea or pot doesn't float your boat? Find it a new home here.

Jul 27th, '16, 22:53
Vendor Member

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by jayinhk » Jul 27th, '16, 22:53

Revisiting the DD this morning and I'm getting notes that taste exactly like my home roasted baozhong. Based on the color of the soup, the flavor and the color of the leaves, I'd say the roasting temp was around 100C--maybe a little lower or higher since this is a balled oolong.
Last edited by jayinhk on Jul 27th, '16, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 27th, '16, 23:12

by kyarazen » Jul 27th, '16, 23:12

Drax wrote: Will be curious to hear thoughts on the FuShouShan as well. I enjoyed it and had a great first session, but I got feedback from a colleague on him finding it flat.
could i ask about his brewing parameters?

I had two sessions with the tea since i unfortunately got only 1 tin for myself and had chen allocate everything else to the international community and i enjoy it tremendously! extremely refined, delicate like a pretty taiwanese young lady with silk creamy skin..cold lush florals. if you gently rinse the tea with luke warm water quickly instead of hot.. the buttery notes extends into at least the first three steeps :)

but still we appreciate all feedback and opinions as everyone has different tea preferences/benchmarks :D

this will also help us decide whether we'll continue to do this or keep it as a one off mass-order due to the logistics nightmare and a very limited supply. the winter harvest is oxidized a little more intensely than the spring during processing

Jul 27th, '16, 23:40
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 27th, '16, 23:40

Trying it now: 1.5 teaspoons in an F1 hongni shuiping, 85ml. Rinse with warm Luchon spring water. First infusion around 95C for 15 seconds. Way too light as far as flavor, but what is there is a lovely fresh floral flavor that I only get from good Taiwanese gaoshan. This stuff is definitely very fresh. I usually use more leaf when brewing DYL or SLX, but decided to go lighter on this session.

Second infusion: full boil for 20 seconds. Flavor more pronounced, but still light. This tea is definitely clean and smooth.

Will continue lengthening infusions--with the next session, I'll use as much leaf as I usually do for a fair comparison. Aroma and flavor seems much lighter than the Dayuling and Shan Lin Xi that I bought in Taipei earlier this year, or the Lishan I got from Bok.

Jul 28th, '16, 00:47

by kyarazen » Jul 28th, '16, 00:47

jayinhk wrote:Trying it now: 1.5 teaspoons in an F1 hongni shuiping, 85ml. Rinse with warm Luchon spring water. First infusion around 95C for 15 seconds. Way too light as far as flavor, but what is there is a lovely fresh floral flavor that I only get from good Taiwanese gaoshan. This stuff is definitely very fresh. I usually use more leaf when brewing DYL or SLX, but decided to go lighter on this session.

Second infusion: full boil for 20 seconds. Flavor more pronounced, but still light. This tea is definitely clean and smooth.

Will continue lengthening infusions--with the next session, I'll use as much leaf as I usually do for a fair comparison. Aroma and flavor seems much lighter than the Dayuling and Shan Lin Xi that I bought in Taipei earlier this year, or the Lishan I got from Bok.
nice to have your opinion! let me know how the regular steep goes :D

Jul 28th, '16, 00:51

by kyarazen » Jul 28th, '16, 00:51

my steeps on the same batch that you guys received :D only managed to get 1 tin for myself :(

2nd steep here!

Jul 28th, '16, 05:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jul 28th, '16, 05:24

KZ -- not sure what his parameters were, I can ask.

I tried the LiShan yesterday, and I found that tea to be quite powerful and strong and all around lovely. In retrospect, I suppose the Fushoushan was not as potent (more delicate would be a good statement), but still quite nice -- giving other qualities instead. I'd have to do a side-by-side comparison to be fair.

Jul 28th, '16, 11:33

by kyarazen » Jul 28th, '16, 11:33

Drax wrote:KZ -- not sure what his parameters were, I can ask.

I tried the LiShan yesterday, and I found that tea to be quite powerful and strong and all around lovely. In retrospect, I suppose the Fushoushan was not as potent (more delicate would be a good statement), but still quite nice -- giving other qualities instead. I'd have to do a side-by-side comparison to be fair.
his li-shan is strong! from what i know, half of this lishan spring tea was bought by some vendors to be blended and re-sold as dayuling.. >.<~

over here in singapore we bought mostly the roasted version of spring lishan tea, and to have a tea that is low oxidation, and yet still strong after a roast.. it had impressed many drinkers :D

Jul 28th, '16, 12:54

by victoria3 » Jul 28th, '16, 12:54

kyarazen wrote:
Drax wrote:KZ -- not sure what his parameters were, I can ask.

his li-shan is strong! from what i know, half of this lishan spring tea was bought by some vendors to be blended and re-sold as dayuling.. >.<~

over here in singapore we bought mostly the roasted version of spring lishan tea, and to have a tea that is low oxidation, and yet still strong after a roast.. it had impressed many drinkers :D
Those are big leaves, beautiful. KyaraZen can you share recommended steeping parameters for Chen's Fushoushan, Lishan & Dongding? leaf/water/temp/time.... I'm so looking forward to trying these. Thanks again.

Jul 28th, '16, 15:05

by kyarazen » Jul 28th, '16, 15:05

victoria3 wrote: Those are big leaves, beautiful. KyaraZen can you share recommended steeping parameters for Chen's Fushoushan, Lishan & Dongding? leaf/water/temp/time.... I'm so looking forward to trying these. Thanks again.
hello!

for fushoushan oolong tea, the ratio that i like to use is 1 gram to 18 or 20ml

this is 15g into a 300ml kyusu at tea sharing session today and it was spectacular. we had 6 steeps and i brought the pot home and continued steeping till now.. going into steep 8 now

this is steep number 4 today https://www.instagram.com/p/BIammW3AJak ... aloeswoods <-- video

Fu Shoushan 2016 spring parameters wise :
tea - straight from pack, may not need to awaken as FSS does not vacumn pack nor dry their tea excessively
water temperature : above 96 degrees (off the boil is ideal)
rinse for 5 seconds with luke warm water, discard
steep 1 : very hot water but thin stream, low height, no bubbling nor froth, down the inner side of the pot, steeping time 45 seconds to 1 minute, dispense gently and minimize any aerosolization or bubbling, this is to preserve the buttery creamy texture of the tea

steep 2 : similarly very hot water, thin stream low height, the creamy texture will persist into steep 3, for steep 2 you can cut the steeping time to 45 seconds flat

steep 3 : back up to 1min +~ also very hot water

steep 4 : very hot water, intense dispensing high speed directly onto the tea leaves is ok, steep duration 1 minute

steep 5 : 2 minutes, etc etc.

as these high mountain teas are not heavily crushed or "juiced" during the kneading stage in order to preserve the delicate notes and textures, they need incubation time and gentle water dispensing in the beginning. as you get into the later steeps, 7, 8,9 you can even let it steep for very long durations and drink it later as a cool brew. the leaves will continue to give flavour as long as you give it time.

For Chen's Lishan, this tea is more heavily kneaded, in short time they release strong flavour, you can use the same parameters as the Fu Shoushan except the timing has to be shortened by half! same to use 5g/90 to 100ml, tea need not be awakened, or to be awakened for a few hours in a container

i.e. steep 1, 30 seconds, steep 2, 20-25 seconds, steep 3, 30 seconds etc.

For Chen's Mid Roasted Dongding
tea leaves to awaken for a few hours to a day in a container
water off the boil, the tea to be rinsed with boiling hot water for 5 seocnds and wash discarded
tea quantity used : 5g to 100ml~~
steep 1 : water off the boil, dispense water from a height, creating steam as the water enters the pot, dispense tea in 25 seconds
steep 2 : 20 seconds dispense
steep 3 : 30 seconds, calibrate to taste

Jul 28th, '16, 15:30

by victoria3 » Jul 28th, '16, 15:30

KyaraZen Excellent thank you for so much detail, I apreciate that and it's nice to know I won't have to wait for the Fu Shushan to breath. Looking forward to trying these soon using your parameters. I like your leaf to water ratios!

Jul 28th, '16, 20:32

by Frisbeehead » Jul 28th, '16, 20:32

Kyarazen, you mentioned a 5 second rinse time with lukewarm water. Are you using lukewarm water because of the high quality of the tea? Or do you typically use lukewarm water to rinse your teas? I am curious if you think using water of brewing temp (boiling/near boiling) would have a negative effect in this case.

Jul 28th, '16, 22:31

by Bok » Jul 28th, '16, 22:31

kyarazen wrote: his li-shan is strong! from what i know, half of this lishan spring tea was bought by some vendors to be blended and re-sold as dayuling.. >.<~
This thread turns from a group buy into a very detailed and interesting one in regards to high quality tea from Taiwan!
I like it.

That confirms my observations, both taste-wise as also talking to tea friends here in Taiwan…
Another confirmation to not always believe the hype, supposedly lower(lower as, not low) grade teas can be astonishingly good, so good it can pass for the best!

I long took to not purposely look for DYL as I know the chances of the real thing are pretty low and I can just get the best Lishan I can find instead and pay less. Same mountain anyways. Has been my favorite since long no matter if Lishan Oolong or Lishan black, that place just has a particular flavour profile I long for!

On the impression of some that the Fushou Shan seems less strong in flavour, I had the same experience the one time I could lay my hands on one few years back. I remember beings surprised as well on how it felt less intense compared to the Lishan I used to drink normally. I was told then, that it also has to do with that FS is organic tea… not sure if there is anything to that.

Anyways, back then my brewing skills where not the same they are today, so my impression might be tainted by bad technique :mrgreen:

Jul 28th, '16, 22:55
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 28th, '16, 22:55

Bok wrote:
kyarazen wrote: his li-shan is strong! from what i know, half of this lishan spring tea was bought by some vendors to be blended and re-sold as dayuling.. >.<~
This thread turns from a group buy into a very detailed and interesting one in regards to high quality tea from Taiwan!
I like it.

That confirms my observations, both taste-wise as also talking to tea friends here in Taiwan…
Another confirmation to not always believe the hype, supposedly lower(lower as, not low) grade teas can be astonishingly good, so good it can pass for the best!

I long took to not purposely look for DYL as I know the chances of the real thing are pretty low and I can just get the best Lishan I can find instead and pay less. Same mountain anyways. Has been my favorite since long no matter if Lishan Oolong or Lishan black, that place just has a particular flavour profile I long for!

On the impression of some that the Fushou Shan seems less strong in flavour, I had the same experience the one time I could lay my hands on one few years back. I remember beings surprised as well on how it felt less intense compared to the Lishan I used to drink normally. I was told then, that it also has to do with that FS is organic tea… not sure if there is anything to that.

Anyways, back then my brewing skills where not the same they are today, so my impression might be tainted by bad technique :mrgreen:
Organic could definitely be why. Gaoshan is grown with lots and lots of fertilizer in many cases. Probably not the healthiest tea to drink...

Jul 28th, '16, 23:13

by kyarazen » Jul 28th, '16, 23:13

lishan is always very crisp, and valued for that clear "snap", bright lush and high energy. our opinions is that Fushoushan or Dayuling are not weak in flavour, the processing methods are different, both authentic fushoushan and dayuling has always been nailing it for us on the high mountain tea category, but they need longer steep times due to extremely thick leaves and the milder kneading.

both spring and winter FSS or DYL, authentic materials, they present themselves with refined delicacy and elegance, the "standard" brew profile we seek is a balanced rounded brew, soft and creamy texture, fragrance hovering above the tea brew and within the tea brew, and none of the lishan "crispness". the aromatics of FSS/DYL must be at least 50% of the experience you get when you drop fresh tea leaves into hot water, that state/aromatic is beautiful. authentic slow growth organic FSS/DYL is approx 25-30% more expensive than high end lishans, sometimes high end lishans can supercede FSS in price, depending on the competition and supply/demand.
Bok wrote: This thread turns from a group buy into a very detailed and interesting one in regards to high quality tea from Taiwan!
I like it.

Jul 28th, '16, 23:22

by kyarazen » Jul 28th, '16, 23:22

Frisbeehead wrote:Kyarazen, you mentioned a 5 second rinse time with lukewarm water. Are you using lukewarm water because of the high quality of the tea? Or do you typically use lukewarm water to rinse your teas? I am curious if you think using water of brewing temp (boiling/near boiling) would have a negative effect in this case.
hello sir :D only for delicate teas. i usually rinse green teas (non-pu-erh teas) with lukewarm water

the creamy/buttery notes are on the surface of the leaves, rinsing carefully will allow most of it to go into the brew than to be washed away. if one aerosolizes the initial early steeps too much i.e. too much steam and bubble generation, these notes will evaporate with the steam and decrease in presence in the brew

after the buttery and creamy phase, its all ok to attack the leaves with boiling hot water! these are leaves of the authentic greenheart oolong cultivar and they can take a lot of heat/beating :) for chen's lishan tea it is also the same cultivar, thick leather leaves, they can take a lot of heat too :)

+ Post Reply