Nov 14th, '08, 20:30

by Riene » Nov 14th, '08, 20:30

Is the competition cut-off tomorrow at noon? If so, noon whose time? I hope to get my act together to take a photo or two by then...
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Nov 14th, '08, 20:34

by chamekke » Nov 14th, '08, 20:34

I meant to reshoot these cups, but it's been a crazy month... and it doesn't look like letting up any. So, I'm going to go with these!

Edit: I just reread the first page and realized that I'm limited to 3 submissions. OK... I'll mark 3 of these pics as "THE three". The others will just have to sit by the side and watch :)

I inherited these cups from my mother, who passed away in 2003. She loved her cup-and-saucer sets, and left me nearly two dozen. I gave away or sold several, and kept the ones that I (and she) loved the most. The "Hazel's cups" series is devoted to those most special cups:

Submission #1: a beautiful cup edged with gold and filled with pink roses. This is a bone china set by the English manufacturer Royal Albert, pattern unknown:

Submission #2: a gold-and-white cup by England's Royal Cauldon with Greek keyfrets along the edge - hence the pattern name, "Greek Key". The saucer broke several years ago, but I was thrilled to find a perfect replacement on eBay in 2008:

Submission #3: an elegantly frilled blue-and-white cup. This is the appropriately named "Dainty Blue" pattern by Shelley of England:

A close-up of the edge of "Dainty Blue". Perhaps this is where I got my taste for blue-and-white (sometsuke) Japanese wares:

For the fun of it: a graceful chintz cup. This cup-and-saucer set is in the pattern "Summertime" by the English bone china manufacturer Royal Winton (Grimwades), and very probably dates from my mother's wedding in 1956:

Detail of "Summertime" chintz cup and handle - so colourful!:

P.S. These are also viewable on my Flickr photostream here.
Last edited by chamekke on Nov 14th, '08, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 14th, '08, 22:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 14th, '08, 22:13

More nice cups!

Seems to me that Victoria extended the deadline to Sunday, but I am not certain of that.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Nov 14th, '08, 22:37

by Riene » Nov 14th, '08, 22:37

Chamekke, if you ever decide you do not want that blue-and-white scalloped cup/saucer set, I will be glad to give it a very nice home. I promise to put only the best tea in it, wash it gently by hand, keep it in the china cabinet, and swat any child/cat/dust particle that comes near it.

Word of honor.
--Tang Dynasty

Nov 14th, '08, 22:53

by chamekke » Nov 14th, '08, 22:53

{blush} Thank you! However, since I have definite Sentimental Associations with this cup-and-saucer set (it was one of my faves even in childhood), I'm unlikely to part with it.

But you know, it's not too hard to find a set like that. I did a quick eBay search, just out of curiosity (search terms: "Dainty Blue", Shelley), and discovered that there are plenty available there. Just in case you're really smitten!

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Nov 14th, '08, 23:38

by kymidwife » Nov 14th, '08, 23:38

Chip wrote:More nice cups!

Seems to me that Victoria extended the deadline to Sunday, but I am not certain of that.
Ooooh I am hoping so... Sunday would be good. I am at my mom's and left my camera USB at home to upload photos. I don't probably have any competition-winners, but was looking forward to posting anyway, just to be a joiner. :P I have my sentimental china left to me by my grandmother, from occupied Japan... and an orphan from a thrift store.

Not sure if I can make it by noon tomorrow... Victoria, can you confirm the deadline please... and is it per your timezone or mine? :?:

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Nov 15th, '08, 15:15

Teacup #1

by kymidwife » Nov 15th, '08, 15:15

OK, assuming I haven't missed the deadline, here are 3 cups... one of my orphans is not being represented because I left her at home and don't have any shots of her (yes "she"... it's a very girly cup).

2 of the 3 I'm submitting are more sentimental and traditional than unusual, but I love them for that sentimental value. The 3rd is a thrift store orphan, fairly unusual, and gets my attention very often because the tea looks so pretty in it.

Here is my #1: My grandmother's china, a Noritake made in Japan, I don't know the pattern name. She always told me it was made in Occupied Japan, but the inscription does not indicate this... I know she did get it during the war. The weight is feather-light, and I love the slope of the lip of the cup and how it sits against the mouth as you take that first sip... and I love that she wanted me to have these dishes, one of her most prized possessions. The colors are very soft, but still vibrant despite the age of the pieces and the fact that they were actually used quite a bit... my camera skills are limited, so I did one close-up of the pattern itself so the colors would be more distinct... they seemed muted in the full shots.

#2 coming if photobucket will cooperate
Last edited by kymidwife on Nov 15th, '08, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 15th, '08, 15:31

by kymidwife » Nov 15th, '08, 15:31

Ok, #2: My mom's china, Old Ivory. Similar to my first one, this cup has a perfect curve at the edge, and sits perfectly on the bottom lip to sip out that first taste of tea. It's also very light and thin, and I tried to take one pic of the translucency of it, but I am not photographically gifted. I've grown up seeing this china my whole life... very sentimental to me. It's classic, simple, delicate, not too froo-froo, and I love the shape of the handle on the cup.

Last edited by kymidwife on Nov 15th, '08, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 15th, '08, 15:34

by kymidwife » Nov 15th, '08, 15:34

And the glass orphan... only one pic here, one I had previously taken... but it shows it off pretty nicely. It has no ID markings or inscriptions, and so I have no idea of its origin... just loved the textured, embossed-style floral design on it and also that it's clear and shows off the tea so nicely:

As it was an orphan I adopted from the thrift store, it doesn't have a matching saucer, but I am on the watch for one!

Thanks for looking!

Sarah

Nov 15th, '08, 16:45
Vendor Member

by TIM » Nov 15th, '08, 16:45

Finally, here is my 3rd and last entry: A Fire King Jadite from the 60s. The very dinners/country side of me : )

Thank you Victoria and Adagio for putting together such a exciting Competition!
Best - T

Nov 15th, '08, 18:24
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: #3

by Geekgirl » Nov 15th, '08, 18:24

kymidwife wrote:And the glass orphan... only one pic here, one I had previously taken... but it shows it off pretty nicely. It has no ID markings or inscriptions, and so I have no idea of its origin... just loved the textured, embossed-style floral design on it and also that it's clear and shows off the tea so nicely:

As it was an orphan I adopted from the thrift store, it doesn't have a matching saucer, but I am on the watch for one!

Thanks for looking!

Sarah
I believe your tea cup is a tea and punch cup for luncheon. If you look for those little glass sandwich plates that have the "saucer" indentation off in the upper right corner, you might find a match. Very cute!

Nov 15th, '08, 18:27

by kymidwife » Nov 15th, '08, 18:27

Yep, I always wondered if it might be an odd piece to a punchbowl set, but the cup seems a bit heavier and the glass a bit thicker than other punchbowl cups I've run across. At any rate, it's a fun cup for tea.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Nov 15th, '08, 20:00

by daughteroftheKing » Nov 15th, '08, 20:00

It's going to be tough choosing favorites. So many beautiful cups!
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Nov 16th, '08, 02:38

by chamekke » Nov 16th, '08, 02:38

OK, I had a chance to take some more pics today.

Another one in the "Hazel's cups" series. This is a pale yellow bone-china cup and saucer made by Tuscan of England. I keep a very small doily in the saucer (another of the things inherited from my Mom).

When I was working through my mother's estate, I was told something interesting by an appraiser: there is no market for yellow teacups! In her experience and that of most sellers of vintage cup-and-saucer sets, very few people want to buy them. It's hard to understand; the colour of this cup is so cheerful, it always reminds me of pale sunshine. And although it's simply a solid colour (with gold trim), the luscious curves inside and out make it appealing to look at and to hold. It's one of my favourite cups of all time.

Close-up of the base with its doily:

(Filmgrain filter added to accentuate the cup's delicacy. Hopefully this is OK, contest-wise. If not, I can post the photos unfiltered.)

Nov 16th, '08, 11:29

by Riene » Nov 16th, '08, 11:29

How odd that yellow cups aren't popular. I think it's quite pretty.
--Tang Dynasty

+ Post Reply