Yixing clay that is suitable for yancha

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 3rd, '15, 19:00

Re: Yixing clay that is suitable for yancha

by xiaobai » Apr 3rd, '15, 19:00

AdmiralKelvinator wrote: EDIT: to xiaobai, what would you consider a "Japanese Oolong"? The oolong tea they sell here is very similar to yancha (tho quite watered down) but I believe most of it is made in china as it is. Haven't drank a true "Japanese Oolong" before.
By Japanese Oolong, I mean this:
http://www.yuuki-cha.com/japanese-oolon ... oolong-tea

"Kuchinashi". It reminds me of the Taiwanese Baozhong from Wenshan (Pinling) area. It is a lightly oxidized tea made with Japanese leaves from Miyazaki prefecture. Indeed, in Kyushu there is some tradition of making teas more the Chinese way. For instance, they pan fry many of their greens (Kamairicha) rather than steaming them (Sencha). However, to the best of my knowledge, this Kuchinashi Oolong is a fairly new thing and has nothing to do with yancha. My wife also tells me that lately some Japanese farmers are letting some of their crops to get bitten by jassids, perhaps trying to achieve a similar fisinish to Eastern beauty.

This type of sweet and fragrant (sometimes rather green) Oolongs, coming mostly from Taiwan, have been very popular with Japanese people for a long time. During the colonial rule, some Taiwanese tea merchants made a fortune selling Baozhong in Japan. Marshaln has also well documented in his blog the history of Eastern Beauty, which was first marketed during the colonial rule and offered to the Emperor (not to the Queen of England, as the story was later told). And in modern (bubble) times, High mountain Oolongs were a product that was created with the Japanese market of green-tea drinkers in mind.

Apr 3rd, '15, 19:51

by xiaobai » Apr 3rd, '15, 19:51

steanze wrote:
xiaobai wrote: I have been in contact with Hojo for a while and we still have not figured out what the problems with those clays may be in my case. They are certainly good stuff, and there is a lot of work and research going into them, but maybe there are other uncontrolled factors that escape me at the moment which make them underperform.
Do they take out too much of the aromatics from the tea? That often happens with non yixing clays. Did you try to pour boiling water in one of these pots and in a gaiwan, leave it there for a couple of minutes, and do a side by side comparison?
Yes, I run those tests too. The clays do change the taste of water. I was not very exhaustive, perhaps I should do it again, but lately I have rather busy tea days... :D

Apr 15th, '15, 01:26

by chrl42 » Apr 15th, '15, 01:26

Zhuni, Jiazini (early-80 clay) or high-fired clays...my case.

Apr 15th, '15, 01:28

by tingjunkie » Apr 15th, '15, 01:28

Jiazini? That's a new one to me. Have any pics?

Apr 15th, '15, 01:38

by chrl42 » Apr 15th, '15, 01:38

tingjunkie wrote:Jiazini? That's a new one to me. Have any pics?
Also known as Heixingtu (pointing black stars on the clay), it's #4 Pin Zini but many new clays are also that way these days with a high amount of iron or manganese...yet early-80s ones only have a speciality. :)

Apr 15th, '15, 02:13

by kyarazen » Apr 15th, '15, 02:13

chrl42 wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:Jiazini? That's a new one to me. Have any pics?
Also known as Heixingtu (pointing black stars on the clay), it's #4 Pin Zini but many new clays are also that way these days with a high amount of iron or manganese...yet early-80s ones only have a speciality. :)
the green label period ones had very good density, heavy clay, mild sandy-ness, takes on a patina really quickly. the low end blended mimics are simply top layer pu-zi-ni mixed with feO

Apr 15th, '15, 03:19

by Tead Off » Apr 15th, '15, 03:19

How would you guys characterize this zini?
20150415_141128~2.jpg
20150415_141128~2.jpg (39.02 KiB) Viewed 1313 times

Aug 9th, '15, 12:01

by miig » Aug 9th, '15, 12:01

I got a question, too. There has been a lot of discussion in this thread about heat rentention.
Let's assume one has a pot that doesn't maintain temperature too well, for whatever reasons, and higher temperature is desired, for example because I'm in the late infusions and want to push it a little to get the rest out of the leaves.
Shouldn't it be easy to compensate for this by showering the pot once in a while / a bit more often ?

Aug 9th, '15, 12:41

by steanze » Aug 9th, '15, 12:41

Tead Off wrote:How would you guys characterize this zini?
20150415_141128~2.jpg
Hi Tead Off,

I cannot see the texture of the clay in your picture clearly. Maybe if you can take a picture with more light (lower ISO) some of the pot experts can give you more information...

Aug 9th, '15, 12:43

by steanze » Aug 9th, '15, 12:43

miig wrote:I got a question, too. There has been a lot of discussion in this thread about heat rentention.
Let's assume one has a pot that doesn't maintain temperature too well, for whatever reasons, and higher temperature is desired, for example because I'm in the late infusions and want to push it a little to get the rest out of the leaves.
Shouldn't it be easy to compensate for this by showering the pot once in a while / a bit more often ?
Hi miig, I think you can definitely do that. The things that are difficult to compensate for are the porosity of the clay, slow pour speed, and if you want a pot with less heat retention :)

+ Post Reply