Aug 9th, '09, 02:00
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Is this a Chawan?

by Geekgirl » Aug 9th, '09, 02:00

hehe, not exactly "attribution." Lovely though. Did I remember correctly that you had mentioned display chawan that were much wider?

I was flipping through a book at Powells that showed ceremonial pieces that were 25-30 cm across. Very beautiful, but I can't imagine how one would use a chawan like that.

Aug 9th, '09, 03:29

by chamekke » Aug 9th, '09, 03:29

I agree with Geekgirl. This bowl would certainly be potentially usable as a natsujawan or summer chawan (a.k.a. a hirajawan or "flat" bowl), but the diameter of the mouth really is unusually large. My suspicion is that either the potter simply liked creating a piece of these dimensions, or he made it with a particularly large-handed customer in mind. Seven inches is pretty huge even for a natsujawan; the very widest of all the ones I own is only 5.5". I can imagine one at 6", perhaps, but 7" would be a struggle for me - and I'm a western woman with large hands (at least, they're big in comparison to my fellow female tea students from Japan). It would be a bit of a challenge to brace the bowl when whisking, especially given the relatively tiny size of the koudai or foot ring. So, my guess is that either this bowl was specially commissioned for someone who asked for it to be that big, or, it's an "art piece".

I don't understand these references to "ceremonial" bowls, incidentally - can someone elaborate? Does this refer to a specific use of an extra-wide bowl in a particular tea-ceremony event? Because AFAIK, normally a natsujawan is intended only for a single portion of usucha (thin tea) which is consumed only by one person.

Aug 9th, '09, 09:01

by Tead Off » Aug 9th, '09, 09:01

Turning the question in the reverse direction, What is too small to be a chawan? Would it be a question of the whisk being able to do its work? Maybe there are some large Yunomi that are used as chawan.

Aug 9th, '09, 11:16

by Victoria » Aug 9th, '09, 11:16

By the way, I very UNceremoniously whisk in a straight sided bowl then pour into my summer bowl. I am guessing this might happen with smaller sized bowls too for casual drinking.

Aug 9th, '09, 12:15

by shyrabbit » Aug 9th, '09, 12:15

The Ajiki Hiro's ceramic bowl is a Chawan, as he describes it. It is wood fired with a natural fly ash patina on a clay that is similar to Shigaraki. The following statement is a testament to his status as a teaware potter. It seems his entire body of work is focused on teawares.

***************************************************************************************
This bowl is attributed to Ajiki Hiro (b. 1948)
2-1/4" h. x 7" dia.

"Osaka-born Ajiki Hiro (b.1948) is both extremely enigmatic and charismatic. He is the "Koie Ryoji" of tea bowls, with his chawan just bursting with the highly creative life energy of Eros, while still retaining a noble elegance that many potters can never muster. Some even consider Ajiki to be the greatest tea bowl maker in contemporary Japan, and that is quite a statement, considering that the competition consists of such legends as Raku Kichizaemon and Tsujimura Shiro. But one glance at Ajiki's chawan, and many will realize that he ranks comfortably with the aforementioned names, if not exceeding them at times..."

Aug 9th, '09, 17:55

by shyrabbit » Aug 9th, '09, 17:55

This Oribe bowl is attributed to Suzuki Goro. It's interesting how he employes the traditional glazing methods of Oribe while, to my eye, expropriating the basic form and imagery of 1000 A.D. Mimbre pottery. Might he be speaking to the notion of cultural cross pollination, what about the notion of "comfort in the hand".

To the Mimbre these bowls were sacred and represented the dome of the sky and universe above. They were very often buried with a favorite bowl over their face, that had a hole punch through so that the last breath of the spirit could leave and ascend. Maybe Mr. Goro is speaking to the idea of the sacred nature of this bowl by referencing the Mimbre(?)

Is this a Chawan?

Mimbre Bird imagery

Examples of Mimbre bowls.

Aug 9th, '09, 19:08

by Chip » Aug 9th, '09, 19:08

I will have to sit back and listen and learn on this one. :idea:

Aug 9th, '09, 19:32

by Maitre_Tea » Aug 9th, '09, 19:32

If this a Chawan, I think it might be one of those pain = religious moments type of things. Reminds me Silas from The Da Vinci Code.

Aug 9th, '09, 19:57

by shyrabbit » Aug 9th, '09, 19:57

Maitre_Tea

Your contemporary reference simply stopped me in my tracks...I think you may have nailed Mr. Goro's intent.

I've been fortunate to see and hold many ceramic works by this artist and they all seem to challenge many of his own cultures ideals.

Thanks for your clear input,
Michael

Aug 10th, '09, 12:26

by bonjiri » Aug 10th, '09, 12:26

shyrabbit wrote:This Oribe bowl is attributed to Suzuki Goro. It's interesting how he employes the traditional glazing methods of Oribe while, to my eye, expropriating the basic form and imagery of 1000 A.D. Mimbre pottery. Might he be speaking to the notion of cultural cross pollination, what about the notion of "comfort in the hand".

To the Mimbre these bowls were sacred and represented the dome of the sky and universe above. They were very often buried with a favorite bowl over their face, that had a hole punch through so that the last breath of the spirit could leave and ascend. Maybe Mr. Goro is speaking to the idea of the sacred nature of this bowl by referencing the Mimbre(?)

Is this a Chawan?

Mimbre Bird imagery

Examples of Mimbre bowls.
michael

wonderful. thanks for sharing about the mimbre art. learning /sharing thanks !

this particular chawan is amazing.

please note that the chawan is being held with the shomen facing the person holding the chawan. around the 3 o'clock position please notice less 'spikes', this is where the user can sip tea from.

cheers

c

Aug 10th, '09, 12:38

by Maitre_Tea » Aug 10th, '09, 12:38

Yeah, I kinda doubt that the tea practitioner is holding the bowl so tightly that the spikes are driving into his/her palms, but who knows, that might be the point of the thing...

Aug 10th, '09, 13:39

by Chip » Aug 10th, '09, 13:39

The agony of the leaf :arrow: the suffering of the practitioner.

Regardless, I cannot imagine this is as natural "a fit" as most chawan. There must be a "point" to it. But it eludes me.

Instead of this chawan becoming an extention of the hands, this one is pushing away from the holder. Resisting, rebelling?

Aug 17th, '09, 17:32

by shyrabbit » Aug 17th, '09, 17:32

What do we think ...is this a chawan/tea bowl?
Approx. 4-1/2" h. x 3-7/8" w.

I will attribute a little later....might be a give away as to its described function.

Michael

Last edited by shyrabbit on Aug 17th, '09, 18:47, edited 3 times in total.

Aug 17th, '09, 18:30

by Chip » Aug 17th, '09, 18:30

Beats me, any clues to the size?

I would personally not reach for a bowl that is seemingly taller than wide.

Aug 17th, '09, 18:36

by shyrabbit » Aug 17th, '09, 18:36

What size?...Good Point!
Approx. 4-1/2" h. x 3-7/8" w.

Michael
Last edited by shyrabbit on Aug 17th, '09, 18:47, edited 2 times in total.

+ Post Reply