Oct 21st, '09, 20:36

Re: Recommendations for good, cheap, non-smoky black tea?

by Kerrath » Oct 21st, '09, 20:36

Alright, thanks for your input. I think I'll be getting it from specialteas as I already have an account there and know their shipping and all, and because you guys further recommended it.

I've got it narrowed down to one of five teas, including the one recommended two posts up:

304-Ceylon Nuwara Eliya BOP - $3.60
http://www.specialteas.com/Black-Tea/Ce ... a-BOP.html

306-Ceylon Nuwara Eliya OP - $4.95
http://www.specialteas.com/Black-Tea/Ce ... ya-OP.html

317-Ceylon Kenilworth OP - $4.50
http://www.specialteas.com/Black-Tea/Ce ... th-OP.html

318-Ceylon Dimbulla OP - $3.75
http://www.specialteas.com/Black-Tea/Ce ... la-OP.html

321-Ceylon Vithanakande FBOPF - $5.75
http://www.specialteas.com/Black-Tea/Ce ... BOPF1.html

If you wouldn't mind, if you'd take a look at those and give me your opinion especially with experience, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Oct 21st, '09, 21:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 21st, '09, 21:17

For what it is worth and since you asked.

I might have recommended SpecialTeas in the past, but I have just been informed that they are owned lock stock and barrel by Teavana which simply does not fit into my list of desirable tea vendors due to the way they mistreat customers and employees ...

Oct 21st, '09, 22:24
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » Oct 21st, '09, 22:24

Have you called Special Teas and asked outright???

Oct 22nd, '09, 00:14

by Chip » Oct 22nd, '09, 00:14

I have been informed that they publicly deny ownership, but you are welcome to call. I trust my source who claims Teavana has 100% ownership of SpecialTeas ... you are welcome to call and let us know what they say. I would not expect a cooperative response.

From a Concord Business Inquiry,

ST ACQUISITION COMPANY
ONE LIVE OAK CENTER 3475
LENOX ROAD, STE. 860
ATLANTA, GA 30326

From the same record, Andrew Mack along with his wife are owners of Teavana, here is the name address given on the Concord Business Inquiry (and easily confirmed googling the address),

ANDREW MACK DIR
ONE LIVE OAK CENTER
3475 LENOX ROAD, STE. 860
ATLANTA, GA 30326

Heh, his home address is also given on the registration, but I will be a little honorable here and not post it. 8)

Jurgen Link was listed as an officer, he is the founder of SpecialTeas.

Oct 22nd, '09, 19:05

by Intuit » Oct 22nd, '09, 19:05

Karath, I think you'll really like the Kenilworth. I've been buying it for many years. Last years (2008) batch was a bit lackluster - a ST's customer service rep privately agreed that 2008 wasn't a great year for many teas. They've just restocked the Kenilworth about a week ago, and the 2009 crop reportedly cupped extremely well. I've reordered it again.

Be careful with those BOP (broken orange pekoe leaf) teas. Because they are fine bits, they can over brew easily. You've got some nice teas - hope you enjoy them!

Oct 24th, '09, 13:57

by Tea and coffee » Oct 24th, '09, 13:57

I just tried some black tea that is golden tips- it is a yunnan black tea (I bought 6 different ones from a seller in that region)...so am still sampling those.

But today tried golden tips black tea and it is a brown/golden colour-no smokiness and reminded me of the bottled iced tea and would be great with lemon and sugar.
I instantly thought of bottled tea (not in a bad way,will rebuy this :)

This tea I only had hot so far, but it has a sweetness and not smoky.
No idea on the prices online but I'm sure adagio has it on their site.

Are you only lookin for some Indian teas?
I know orange pekoe is not smoky.
There was a bagged one from the grocery store I used to like-but can't remember the brand.
But loose tea is always better anyways in quality (hopefully).

Went back to read all the posts here and Ten Ren is asian,so really doubt they would serve Indian teas.
I would maybe buy from them also esp if you like what they use in store.
or maybe call them to ask what they use for their drinks like teas...

Oct 27th, '09, 17:57

by Tea and coffee » Oct 27th, '09, 17:57

Chip wrote:I have been informed that they publicly deny ownership, but you are welcome to call. I trust my source who claims Teavana has 100% ownership of SpecialTeas ... you are welcome to call and let us know what they say. I would not expect a cooperative response.

From a Concord Business Inquiry,

ST ACQUISITION COMPANY
ONE LIVE OAK CENTER 3475
LENOX ROAD, STE. 860
ATLANTA, GA 30326

From the same record, Andrew Mack along with his wife are owners of Teavana, here is the name address given on the Concord Business Inquiry (and easily confirmed googling the address),

ANDREW MACK DIR
ONE LIVE OAK CENTER
3475 LENOX ROAD, STE. 860
ATLANTA, GA 30326

Heh, his home address is also given on the registration, but I will be a little honorable here and not post it. 8)

Jurgen Link was listed as an officer, he is the founder of SpecialTeas.
Hi,
I'd be curious to know why the heck he would say that because thesedays you can look up almost anything about anyone or any company today online.
Not really a good thing to um..."mislead" if that can be the right word customers.

It is a bit too obvious it is at least the same people running the company if they have the same address :roll:

Oct 27th, '09, 19:03

by Chip » Oct 27th, '09, 19:03

It is not so transparent. I would likely not have found the document I mention on my own. But a Google of both names provides a lot of info.

As my source aptly put it, "hiding in plain sight!" :D

For instance, from the Teavana site.
Orders should be returned to:
Tea Distribution Center
ATTN: Returns Dept.
500 Long Beach Blvd.
Stratford, CT 06615
Just happens to be SpecialTeas home address ... :lol:

Oct 27th, '09, 19:14

by Dreamer » Oct 27th, '09, 19:14

Good news about the Kenilworth...the last version was pretty dull!

Oct 27th, '09, 20:58

by Intuit » Oct 27th, '09, 20:58

I carefully asked about Kenilworth quality, so as not to put words in the Customer Service Managers mouth. She was blunt - she likes this tea too. You and I (and another TC regular) all had similar experiences with 2008 Kenilworth Estate batches, from different vendors.

From TC archives:
http://teachoice.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8455

Tevana Corporation and it's Holding Corp subsidiary do own several companies, including Teatopia, a Canadian storefront corporate store/franchise conglomerate similar to Teavana chain in the US.

I ran a check on the domain name for Teavana, and pulled up, for instance

Domain name: teatopia.com
Registrant Contact:
Teavana Corporation
Andrew Mack ()
3475 Lenox Rd. STE 860
Atlanta, GA 30326 US

We do the same domain ownership lookup for Specialteas:

Domain name: specialteas.com
Registrant Contact:
SpecialTeas, Inc.
2 REYNOLDS ST
NORWALK, CT 06855-1015 US

Nope. Business registration ownership shows that they are not owned by Teavana. They do have a business relationship with Teavana as primary private label supplier. Teavana had to have a dedicated supplier to set up corporate store chain 10 years ago.

It should not be a surprise to see Mack's name on a roster of founding partners for Specialteas. You are looking at a vertical supply chain, not horizontal corporate ownership relationship.

I spoke with SpecialTeas management. They have heard this same thing over and over. Their management will deny it, because its not true. They supply Teavana. They don't deny their supply role, but they also don't care to chat about their clients with the public.

You, too, can call them.

I've been a reasonably happy SpecialTeas customer for almost as long as the retail front has been in operation. They are not, in any way shape or form, like Teavana in the way they are operated. Their customer service has been top notch. Their tea quality has been very good for the cost, which is why I will continue to do business with them.

Oct 27th, '09, 21:21

by Chip » Oct 27th, '09, 21:21

Fascinating, Intuit, but why would ALL online Teavana customer returns be sent to SpecialTeas' actual published address? Hardlines and softlines.

I saw the business registration form, perhaps it is under some other ficticious title. The owner and founder of Teavana is listed as a principal in the ST Aquisition Co., not a founder of SpecialTeas.

All the players are on each other's boards as well. To me that indicates more than a simple private labeling deal.

I have in the past had good experiences with SpecialTeas and with Juergen. I do not want to be misconstrued that I have a vendetta against them.

Oct 28th, '09, 00:40

by ankitlochan » Oct 28th, '09, 00:40

try an assam orthodox.. its very economic and value for money.. :)

Oct 28th, '09, 04:48

by Tea and coffee » Oct 28th, '09, 04:48

ankitlochan wrote:try an assam orthodox.. its very economic and value for money.. :)
I'm surprized to see your website selling Yunnan Golden bud!
It is one of my favorite black teas at the moment.
-not too sure if you consider that a good value for someone looking for a cheap tea though?

btw...can't wait to review the teas in the facebook sampler from your company. Have not tried many Indian teas yet!

+ Post Reply