Favorite Seven Cups Wuyi? (Sale)

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 2nd, '09, 21:53

Favorite Seven Cups Wuyi? (Sale)

by TokyoB » Oct 2nd, '09, 21:53

Seven Cups runs a monthly sale on some type of tea every month. This month every tea is 20% off though. Any Wuyi yancha recommendations? I quite liked the Imperial MeiZhan Light Roast Rock Oolong 2008 and thought it was good value. I also tried the Bai Ji Guan last year and thought it was pretty good but too expensive for the taste. I'd like to try something else this year.

Does anyone else have any favorite yancha recommendations from Seven Cups?

Oct 4th, '09, 17:10

Re: Favorite Seven Cups Wuyi? (Sale)

by edkrueger » Oct 4th, '09, 17:10

I think you well find all of the premium Seven Cups teas are too expensive for the taste. The White Rooster Crest, while either the best or the second best yancha I've had, was too expensive even with the 50% percent discount.

Oct 4th, '09, 20:36

by tea fish » Oct 4th, '09, 20:36

I second the Imperial Mei Zhan--my only complaint was that it tended to peter out after the third infusion. But the first three infusions are divine and maybe the lack of infusion stamina is my fault, as I'm still learning to brew.

I really like the Lao Cong Shui Xian too. Early infusions are kind of chocolate-y, with undertones of sweet baked goods and vanilla; later infusions are more floral.

Oct 4th, '09, 20:40

by tea fish » Oct 4th, '09, 20:40

Apologies for the flaky post that once occupied this space. Today I learned not to (try to) multitask and teachat...

But as for sevencups being pricey: yes I guess. But having just purchased some blech-worthy DHP at a local Chinese supermarket (Ming's in Boston), I feel like I've wasted $10. (My fault for pretending that decent DHP can be purchased at that price, I suppose.) At least in the case of sevencups the quality is reliably good. And some of their DCs are downright cheap--50 g of Xue Lan Xiang for $11.80, much cheaper than Imen's DC, though certainly not as good, but still a decent cup.
Last edited by tea fish on Oct 5th, '09, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 4th, '09, 22:14

by TokyoB » Oct 4th, '09, 22:14

Ed - you might be right about their higher priced yancha. However the issue of quality vs. cost is a personal one. This was discussed recently somewhere on TC - very top quality teas are expensive - apparently worth it for someone but not for most.

Oct 6th, '09, 19:53

by edkrueger » Oct 6th, '09, 19:53

BTW, the other yancha was http://shop.andaotea.com/products/organ ... g-red-robe –and it costs less than a quarter.

Oct 6th, '09, 19:59

by Maitre_Tea » Oct 6th, '09, 19:59

I read a good review (can't seem to find it, I'm afraid) that was praising their 2006 Imperial Rou Gui, but sadly their discounted teas don't have that additional discount...I bought some Shui Jin Gui out of curiosity and since I have four other samples of Shui Jin Gui lying around, it would be fun comparison between the five of them ... will come back with an update on their Shui Jin Gui once I take it for a spin.

Oct 6th, '09, 20:49

by TokyoB » Oct 6th, '09, 20:49

edkrueger wrote:BTW, the other yancha was http://shop.andaotea.com/products/organ ... g-red-robe –and it costs less than a quarter.
Ed - believe it or not, I have this yancha. I bought it a year ago but haven't opened it yet. I plan to open it this winter. (I clearly have too much tea lying around.) I had the rou gui from Andao - it was ok but not notable. Sounds like the DHP might be better.

Maitre_Tea - can't wait to hear!

Oct 6th, '09, 22:50

by AdamMY » Oct 6th, '09, 22:50

I've had both andao teas Big Red Robe and Rou Gui. Honestly all their teas are less roasted then I would like them, I didn't think either were bad, and I had great experiences with both.

Though Personally I thought neither was incredibly special after making it though 50 grams of each.

Though I have yet to try seven cups tea's, I want to I'm just hesitant, as I'd want to try their wuyi's and most are labeled as low roast, or medium roast. But I will be up for trying them eventually.

+ Post Reply