Tao of Woe

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 28th, '09, 15:18

Re: The Tao Continues ...

by geeber1 » Oct 28th, '09, 15:18

Victoria wrote:Well I guess a phone call is in order.
What I though might happen did indeed happen.
They did not check the stock, but simply sent another
package of what is labeled "Neela". And so what seemed to be
good customer service, now is questionable.

Good customer service is thinking, "Hey, how did this happen?
Are there other packages labeled wrong?" Not just resending
another wrong package.

And now the question is - how many incorrectly labeled packages
are there, and are they going to believe me?

I will report back after I feel unfrustrated enough to make the call.
Do you think they package the tea there at their store? If so, I hope they will provide some training in the difference between a Nilgiri and an Oolong. :oops: If not, I hope they contact their supplier!

Oct 29th, '09, 03:13

Re: Tao of Woe

by Tea and coffee » Oct 29th, '09, 03:13

Usually, unless you give the company the package info-like the codes on it, they will not be able to do too much to look into it.
I know this from having issues with a few other food products (not tea though).

I'm assuming tao of tea is one of the companies that is nicely packaged, so the box/tin/bag would have more info.

My only experience buying packaged tea online so far has been w 2 websites where they packed my order when I placed it w hand written labels on the bag (not really a "label" but a white sticker w tea and weight only).

Exept for the Adagio blooming tea that comes in a nice box that is.
I do not have that one here in front of me as it is a gift and not at my place, but the packaging looks very nice for those :)

But speaking of product mistakes I had a problem with some fish sticks last year, there was some "black stuff" on one- looked burnt.
I took a pic and asked a few people and called the company and they actually asked me to send the fish sticks back by mail....and they even sent me an envelope....this was during summer time.
I could just imagine when they received the fish sticks by mail...yuck!

Turns out that it was some motor oil from one of the machinery in the factory that fell on some of my fish.
It was only on 3 pc out of the package though.
All they did was sent some coupons for 2 replacements.

Anyway, at least you have some extra tea.
But hopefully they fix their mistake!

Oct 29th, '09, 12:11
Scrolling: scrolling

UPDATE

by Victoria » Oct 29th, '09, 12:11

The update is - I received an email from the founder of the company Tao of Tea. In fact we have had a few exchanges now. Let's just say that
both of us feel strongly in our convictions, yet both of us are open to the possibility of error due to the arguments presented.

The short version is that the Neela is hand crafted in a special way in which it continues to oxidize and change over time. So the thought is I did indeed get Neela, but in its more highly oxidized state.

Which leaves me to ponder how a black tea could taste like an oolong, and given that, how this change could occur with 6 months of storage. Also how the same tea, stored in a tin, which was purchased by another member could have no change.

I would rather not open this to any debate at this time. I have never been a fan of debates or "what ifs". The final conclusion needs to be based on facts that have yet to be verified. The packages are being returned to Mr. Chawla for his personal inspection, at the company's expense and I will be issued a refund. So as for customer service and attentiveness I am certainly getting it now. So let's let the packages be checked and await the final word before we form any definite conclusions.

I have taken Mr. Chawla at his word that he will check this out in earnest; and I have pledged likewise to him that I will be forthcoming here on the board as to the results.

Oct 29th, '09, 18:17

Re: Update

by Victoria » Oct 29th, '09, 18:17

As a point of reference, I remembered I had posted these pics under the
Let's Talk Nilgiri thread:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=74085#p74085

On the left is the brewed leaf - with one unfurled
On the right is the dry leaf

Nov 7th, '09, 14:02

by Victoria » Nov 7th, '09, 14:02

Well I decided all this suspense was killing me, so ... since Dreamer had ordered NEELA in a TIN, and received the same version as I had before, I decided to order some tins. You gotta know, I love this tea. It was a risk, but worth it, as I had this tea from the TIN this morning, and it was great.

So I am still awaiting to hear the results of the testing of the tea I returned.
They are not late in responding, I just jumped the gun a little.

So I'll be letting you know what they say. Meanwhile I guess I have at least two tins of this lovely tea. :)

Nov 7th, '09, 19:15

by geeber1 » Nov 7th, '09, 19:15

Glad you got some, Victoria! :D
I'm thinking of stopping in there when we are in the Portland area over Thanksgiving to get some.

Nov 8th, '09, 02:37

by Tea and coffee » Nov 8th, '09, 02:37

I just realized something...

They sell this brand in Canada!
So, your tea was probably not packaged when you bought it.
I could be wrong though.
But I did see it for sale on www.ogourmet.com which is a food website in the city my family lives in.
I did not check if your specific tea was there,but there are at least 20 kinds of that brand.

Nov 8th, '09, 02:46

by Victoria » Nov 8th, '09, 02:46

Oh you should! Make sure you look at it first. :)
I'm jealous! I want to get up that way one of these days!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I hope you can check out Floating Leaves Tea too!
:)

Nov 9th, '09, 05:59

by Tea and coffee » Nov 9th, '09, 05:59

Victoria wrote:Oh you should! Make sure you look at it first. :)
I'm jealous! I want to get up that way one of these days!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I hope you can check out Floating Leaves Tea too!
Canada is pretty nice!
But for some odd reason there are not too many "good" tea shops.
One store I was at yesterday they make bubble tea and sell tons of loose teas but most of the teas they sold were the same tea with 50 different types of flavors.
Nothing "wrong" with that, but just seems to be how most stores are around here.

I'll have to try and look up Floating Leaves, have not heard of them yet.
Maybe when I have less tea, I am on the second group for the tasting of the Lochan teas!

Nov 9th, '09, 11:44

by Victoria » Nov 9th, '09, 11:44

Floating Leaves Tea is pretty well discussed and a favorite around here, specializing in Oolong. The shop is in Seattle.
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... leaves+tea

Nov 16th, '09, 19:58

by skilfautdire » Nov 16th, '09, 19:58

Since you mention ogourmet and the city where they are located, then that would be Montréal. There is a nice tea store called Camellia Sinensis located right in the quartier latin:

http://camellia-sinensis.com/the/

Nov 16th, '09, 20:09

by Victoria » Nov 16th, '09, 20:09

Camellia Sinensis is a favorite of mine. I have been promoting it a lot since I discovered it this summer.

Nov 17th, '09, 05:37

by skilfautdire » Nov 17th, '09, 05:37

Well, they do have some Nilgiri at what seems a good price. Might not be exactly the one you're looking for, though.

Nov 17th, '09, 11:41

by Victoria » Nov 17th, '09, 11:41

I'm not looking for any more tea, or new tea. I just want the Neela in the original form.

Jan 2nd, '10, 06:36

by Victoria » Jan 2nd, '10, 06:36

Well as I promised to do, if it was found that I was wrong, to set the record straight. As strong as I was of my conviction that the tea I was sent was not Neela, I have to state that Tao of Tea is saying that is was. And since they are the experts, I will have to defer to their opinion. Now that the two bags I received have been sent back, and now that I have ordered two tins of what seems to be the "original" Neela, here is their explanation:

"On the Neela that I received back from you, my theory is that the Neela may have oxidized more in some of our bulk chests than in our packaged tins. When we receive tea, we package some into tins and keep the rest in Bulk form in either cartons, chests or vacuum bags. In this case, Neela is hard to vacuum as it breaks the leaf integrity. The chests hold 40 - 50 lbs pounds, and I think there more exposure to oxygen than in the tins. Hence, perhaps the slight difference in oxidization. The leaves were definitely Neela that you sent back. I won't take it for granted that all tins are less oxidized, as the tea has been packed at different intervals. IN other words, if you order tins again, I am not sure if it wont be the slightly more oxidized form that you ordered before.

I can see how you may mistake the Neela for an oolong. A easy way for me to determine that is just to look at the infused leaves. The varietal from Nilgiris (although - there are several), the most abundant kind is the camellia assamica. Which is quite different than the wuyi, fenghuang or bai hao. Some of the oolongs it resembles via appearance."

+ Post Reply