Dec 3rd, '14, 09:44

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by kyarazen » Dec 3rd, '14, 09:44

chrl42 wrote: Many potters like Xu Xi-hua, Mao Ying-hong etc are already doing that,

Xu Xi-hua, for example, her clay used for the reproductions, is actually low-quality Huanglongshan Hongni (the one Zhu Ze-wei referred to as 'Huanglongshan Lao Hongni'), this clay Factory-1 used during 7~80s, I've never found her using 'high-end' clays for the reproductions.

Recently, old collector has sold early-80s 'Jia Zi Ni' reproductions passing as a genuine. I've bought one..but firing condition was noticeably different and no advantage at seasoning (Jia Zi Ni pots can have some of greatest seasoning effect)..and many others.

The most noticeable difference between genuine (just opinion) and old clay reproduction (老泥新作), IMO is seasoning quality....they just don't get seasoned right so far...

Even more experienced collectors have already gone through the steps before us (I heard 90s was really crazy with fake stuffs).

I've never seen or bought that 'Mei Yun' one in real....I am just wondering how it can be different from previous reproductions I've used before :)

it comes in waves i suppose, together with market demand that is cyclic in nature. indeed the toughest thing to replicate is still the clay treatment, to how it is processed and hammered, together with the firing that will determine how fast a pot seasons, either in 5 uses.. or.. 5 years :P

Dec 3rd, '14, 10:50

by puyuan » Dec 3rd, '14, 10:50

I've been hunting for a jiazi shuiping for a while now... We'll have to visit some people in TW, I guess. :/

Dec 3rd, '14, 13:23

by kyarazen » Dec 3rd, '14, 13:23

gift from a friend... a modern (inexpensive?) zhuni that i just couldnt put it down after picking it up.. very nice creamy jade texture, cool and sufficient 份量.

Dec 3rd, '14, 14:20

by achyle » Dec 3rd, '14, 14:20

kyarazen wrote:gift from a friend... a modern (inexpensive?) zhuni that i just couldnt put it down after picking it up.. very nice creamy jade texture, cool and sufficient 份量.

Nice! is it a reversed coaster that you're using in your tea boat :mrgreen: ?

Dec 3rd, '14, 22:55

by kyarazen » Dec 3rd, '14, 22:55

puyuan wrote:I've been hunting for a jiazi shuiping for a while now... We'll have to visit some people in TW, I guess. :/
jiazi shouldnt be too hard to find i assume.. i've only been keeping my eyes peeled for hongni and early qingshuini these days

Dec 3rd, '14, 22:55

by kyarazen » Dec 3rd, '14, 22:55

achyle wrote: Nice! is it a reversed coaster that you're using in your tea boat :mrgreen: ?
yup! an inverted saucer. i use it only when the pot's too flat and too low in the bowl to be picked up easily. was using a flat xian yuan prior to this zhu

Dec 4th, '14, 12:44

by miig » Dec 4th, '14, 12:44

Hi there,

so after a long time, I got myself a Yixing-pot from one of my favorite Pu-Vendors. It was 135$, and was described as to be Factory 1, 90s, Hongni and high-fired, I don't know enough about this to comment on it. What I can say is that it holds 120ml (a bit large for one, i know) and weighs almost exactly 100g, so maybe you can deduce the wall thickness from that relation :)
IMG_9683b.jpg
IMG_9683b.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
Its a curious thing, though. On the inside there are these funny marks, not exactly circular, but rather so.. and even funnier on the bottom. Any comments on that?
IMG_9674b.jpg
IMG_9674b.jpg (22.29 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
IMG_9675b.jpg
IMG_9675b.jpg (38.34 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
This fits its general appearance, it has these small irregularities all over it, which are quite charming because it seems very hand-made. The modern pots I have look much more polished, but also more neutral and less, uh, personal. chrl42 talked about "the atmosphere" elswhere, and this is like a charming old LP which gives some creaking noises but gets this unimitable cosy feeling :D
Oh, and I have brewed tea in it only once, just rinsed it several times with hot water and brushed it lightly, no boiling in or that sort of stuff.

Dec 6th, '14, 14:15

by kyarazen » Dec 6th, '14, 14:15

same sizes... but.. different materials? :D

Dec 6th, '14, 14:39

by Chris418 » Dec 6th, '14, 14:39

kyarazen wrote:Image

50's ,60's, 70's hong ni ?

Dec 7th, '14, 13:48

by kyarazen » Dec 7th, '14, 13:48

Chris418 wrote:

:D you've a good eye

but i dont think i'll call the pot 50's since F1 started after '58,. just 3 specimens from early 60, late 60s, early 70s. the late 60s and early 70s pots come from the exact same mold, with over 97% structural homology in 3d scanning :X

together with some other specimens from a friend, including some from ROC, its becoming clearer on the source/evolution of hongni over the years, the firing effects etc. all in all a fun exploration when literature and the actual objects start to show signs of alignments and occasional disagreements

Dec 7th, '14, 14:05

by kyarazen » Dec 7th, '14, 14:05

had the fortune of seeing and touching a few pots today, one, a Gong Chun pot by Jiang An Ching (early ROC), and the other a bamboo themed pot by Chu Keshin.

it was really inspiring, and a sudden subitism to realize why Ku Ching Chou or Chu Keshin could not make the Gong Chun pot well.

unfortunately the owner preferred no photos so I didnt take anything for sharing here :D

also saw a pair of Thai "water polished" pots from end Qing. these pots are said to be usually in a pair as it was part of the thai-chinese wedding custom system as a gift. extremely deep gloss, very thin and delicate.

Dec 7th, '14, 15:06

Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Chris418 » Dec 7th, '14, 15:06

Very interesting kyarazen, as usual ;)

Dec 7th, '14, 23:48

by chrl42 » Dec 7th, '14, 23:48

Chris418 wrote:

How the heck could you know? :mrgreen:

What an eye!

Dec 7th, '14, 23:52

by chrl42 » Dec 7th, '14, 23:52

How's the period go?

The above one looks CR one, below 2 are expensive...6-letter? :P

Dec 7th, '14, 23:56

by chrl42 » Dec 7th, '14, 23:56

miig wrote:Hi there,

so after a long time, I got myself a Yixing-pot from one of my favorite Pu-Vendors. It was 135$, and was described as to be Factory 1, 90s, Hongni and high-fired, I don't know enough about this to comment on it. What I can say is that it holds 120ml (a bit large for one, i know) and weighs almost exactly 100g, so maybe you can deduce the wall thickness from that relation :)
No seal? It's very difficult to know without a seal! :P

+ Post Reply