Mold on a tuo?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 2nd, '10, 17:38
Scrolling: scrolling

Mold on a tuo?

by Drax » Jan 2nd, '10, 17:38

The thread on the yellow mold reminded me that I was aware of some 'stuff' on one of my tuos that sort of looks like mold. Or something. This tuo is one of those $20 tuos from Nada. I have a couple more, and they're all clean, and the 'bumps' on the tuo here cover no more than a dime in surface area.

Don't let the photos scare you. I probably will never photograph my pu'erh this close ever again, its craggy surfaces remind me of those microscopic views of microbes or other critters. *shiver*

It's a 100g tuo, and those specs are probably about the size of a grain of sand.

What do you think? I've kept an eye on it for at least 6 months at this point and it doesn't seem to be growing or anything...

Jan 2nd, '10, 18:20
Scrolling: fixed

Re: Mold on a tuo?

by TomVerlain » Jan 2nd, '10, 18:20

that looks like the "white frost" type, which is, I think, benign. If you look at the $73,000.00 beeng (in tea auction post), you can see it too has some white frost.

http://www.cguardian.com/pic.php?sessio ... rt91683521

Jan 3rd, '10, 14:59

by nonc_ron » Jan 3rd, '10, 14:59

Drax wrote:It's a 100g tuo, and those specs are probably about the size of a grain of sand.
What do you think? I've kept an eye on it for at least 6 months at this point and it doesn't seem to be growing or anything...
It may be Fungi, the little root thing would be the mycelium.
The vegetative part of the fungus, consisting of a mass of branching, threadlike hyphae. The round things are the mushrooms.
Pry off the chip of the Tuo, put it in a saucer then add 4 or 5 drops if water.
It should bloom over night.Image
Value 2cents :wink:

Jan 15th, '10, 17:24

by betta » Jan 15th, '10, 17:24

peony wrote:I think it is the result of wet storage. After the wet storage, its tui cang does not go well. so that is why it is mouldy. So normally, for the wet storage tea, your mouth will feel very dry after drinking it.
:D
Welcome to teachat and thanks for your insight.
Mind to elaborate more on the wet storage+tui cang process? what condition should be applied and for how long?

Jan 15th, '10, 18:04
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 15th, '10, 18:04

Unfortunately, this one looks pretty bad.... I would not drink it. Sorry : (

Jan 15th, '10, 18:58

by MarshalN » Jan 15th, '10, 18:58

This is no white frost. The dotted ones are always bad. I'd chuck it, the whole thing.

Jan 16th, '10, 05:15
Vendor Member

by nada » Jan 16th, '10, 05:15

Hi Drax,

Just came across this post. Sorry to hear about this. If you want to throw it I'll put a new tuo in the post for you.

Can you send me an email so I can match up your online name with your real name and address.

Jan 22nd, '10, 16:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jan 22nd, '10, 16:24

nada wrote:Hi Drax,

Just came across this post. Sorry to hear about this. If you want to throw it I'll put a new tuo in the post for you.

Can you send me an email so I can match up your online name with your real name and address.
Thanks nada, that's very kind, I appreciate the offer!

Maybe next time I place an order. . . besides, I got whisked away on Haiti disaster-response related stuff (I'm not there, but doing support), so I'm a bit wrapped up right now.

Thanks again, though! :D By the way, the new site design looks great, too!

+ Post Reply