Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 2nd, '16, 20:56
Vendor Member

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by jayinhk » Jun 2nd, '16, 20:56

daidokorocha wrote:
jayinhk wrote:I've been drinking from the same Dayuling leaves for three days now. On the last infusion, I forgot about the tea and let it go for quite a while. Strong sweet blueberry and grape flavors along with some bitterness--really lovely. Good gaoshan seems to go on forever for me!
How do you store your leaves in-between the steeps/days? I think the longest I have ever done is from morning to night. I just let the leaves sit out all day rather than fridging them or anything. Generally, when I sit down to brew I tend to do a lot of infusions at once rather than spread out, so unless my tea was getting 60 infusions, I do not think I could do it over three days. :shock:
Just in a Yixing with the lid on. You just reminded me that my shu pot is loaded and sitting at work. It's been HOT here, so I'm going to have to dump those leaves I think.

Jun 3rd, '16, 00:18
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 3rd, '16, 00:18

Drinking green Muzha TGY. This stuff has a lot of similarities to green gaoshan, but has a TGY flavor to it too. Less complexity than a good gaoshan, but I could see how this stuff could be passed off as gaoshan to the unsuspecting. Quite tasty in my little 40ml F1 hongni from EoT. I was planning on drinking high roast oolong, but chanced upon the can and decided to brew some up! I gave it a quick heatup in a skillet to drive off moisture.

Jun 3rd, '16, 19:09

by whatsinaname » Jun 3rd, '16, 19:09

Just finished off some FLT 4 Seasons and Jin Xuan. Have a half lb of her Farmers Choice Baozhong to finish off this summer.

Found a couple ounces of Gaoshan from Origin Tea, some Lishan and SLX.

It's taken four years to drink up my oolong stash. Might actually need to buy some more in the next year!

Jun 3rd, '16, 23:18
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 3rd, '16, 23:18

High fire HK TGY in a hongni shuiping I bought in Taiwan. This pot continues to take a lot away from teas I brew in it, but it softened the TGY quite nicely. Perhaps a little too much, though. I'm hoping it peforms better once it gets more use, but I have plenty of other pots to use, so if it doesn't, I'll put it up for sale and use the half dozen other pots I use for high fire oolongs!

Jun 4th, '16, 12:38

by JRS22 » Jun 4th, '16, 12:38

Trying out my HK Roast Three Stamps Shu Xian today that I purchased from jayinhk. I need to limit yancha to small quantities so I used my 50ml Kim Eung Chul Appaloosa pot. Very good smooth tea with no off-flavors.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (57.43 KiB) Viewed 2162 times

Jun 4th, '16, 15:38
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 4th, '16, 15:38

Lovely teaware! Glad you enjoyed the tea!

Jun 8th, '16, 23:24

by debunix » Jun 8th, '16, 23:24

Finishing a long session with 2007 Ba Xian from Tea Habitat--lovely, floral, spicy, sweet, mellow, just enough inclination to sharpness to keep my mind on the mechanics as I enjoy it. Mmm.

Jun 9th, '16, 17:09
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 9th, '16, 17:09

debunix wrote:Finishing a long session with 2007 Ba Xian from Tea Habitat--lovely, floral, spicy, sweet, mellow, just enough inclination to sharpness to keep my mind on the mechanics as I enjoy it. Mmm.
So, debunix, that oolong is 9 years old, correct? Have you kept it refrigerated?

Jun 9th, '16, 22:15

by debunix » Jun 9th, '16, 22:15

ethan wrote:
debunix wrote:Finishing a long session with 2007 Ba Xian from Tea Habitat--lovely, floral, spicy, sweet, mellow, just enough inclination to sharpness to keep my mind on the mechanics as I enjoy it. Mmm.
So, debunix, that oolong is 9 years old, correct? Have you kept it refrigerated?
No. I bought it from TeaHabitat when it was already several years old, and it sat in my tea trunk at room temperature (58-85 degrees F during the year) inside it's sealed package until I opened it a few months ago.

Jun 9th, '16, 23:34
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 9th, '16, 23:34

ethan, oolongs with at least a little roast age well. I believe debunix is talking about a roast dancong, which will age very well at room temperature, as long as kept airtight. Your dark TGYs from Taiwan would also improve with age. Greener oolong loses its flavor, but can still be pleasant drinking depending on the tea.

Jun 10th, '16, 02:20

by debunix » Jun 10th, '16, 02:20

jayinhk wrote:ethan, oolongs with at least a little roast age well. I believe debunix is talking about a roast dancong, which will age very well at room temperature, as long as kept airtight. Your dark TGYs from Taiwan would also improve with age. Greener oolong loses its flavor, but can still be pleasant drinking depending on the tea.
Exactly

Jun 10th, '16, 11:24
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 10th, '16, 11:24

This morning, I began my tea-drinking w/ Imperial Pearl from Mountain Tea. There was a group buy for MT on Teachat about a year ago that garnered at least a dozen buyers; yet, there are few posts about MT's teas. My earliest posts spoke of disappointment, that the tea that year was not as good as it was before. A few times I have rescinded those early comments. The Imperial Pearl of a year ago is different than the Imperial Pearl of a few years ago but not worse. I needed to change my preparation. (Less time & lower temperature)

Now that I steep for only a minute at a lower temperature than before (80C), I have an enjoyable tart tea of medium body that is brisk & strong enough to be a good wake-up. I start my tea-day a few times a week this way lately.

Jun 12th, '16, 19:22

by debunix » Jun 12th, '16, 19:22

Another lovely session with the marvelous Hawaiian oolong.....it has strong elements of the fruitiness that is so strong in very highly oxidized teas like the Imperial Pearl from Mountain Tea, and reminds me a lot of the Korean Balhyocha but it is quite distinct from those even so.....the hint of spiciness, the fruitiness, the sweetness....mmmm

I love this stuff....pretty leaves in the Ondre Sedlak scoop

Image160612 Hawaiian Oolong _DEB1234 converted copy by D B, on Flickr

worthy of a closeup, with their subtle and varied greens, browns, reds

Image160612 Hawaiian Oolong _DEB1236 converted copy by D B, on Flickr

Lovely in the pot (Petr Novak treebark/Ent pot)

Image160612 Hawaiian Oolong _DEB1238 converted copy by D B, on Flickr

and in the cup (Tetsuako Nakao spring galaxy cup)

Jun 13th, '16, 14:26
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 13th, '16, 14:26

debunix, I feel I know how that tea tastes from your description. Sounds delicious.

Jun 13th, '16, 16:13

by debunix » Jun 13th, '16, 16:13

It's really a fantastic tea, well worth the price as an occasional treat. I get it from Hilo Coffee Mill.

+ Post Reply