Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Nov 14th, '16, 09:40

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by pedant » Nov 14th, '16, 09:40

never heard of Living Tea, will have to check out the site.
nice pic btw

Nov 14th, '16, 12:08

by victoria3 » Nov 14th, '16, 12:08

ethan wrote:Sounds delicious, Victoria. When searching for teas like that (to me that's the Oriental Beauty category) I think I made a mistake in asking specifically for Dongfang Meiren. If I were requesting bug-bitten, I might have been directed to another bug-bitten variety that was at hand but not offered to me. As it happened, I never tasted a green oolong that was bug-bitten, they were always well-oxidized.
Last night I tried Floating Leaves Oriental Beauty that was included in my last order; it was aromatic and sweet with lots of body and texture in the first few infusions, and become more Assam like after the 5th steep, with oxidation coming through upfront. The thing that surprised me about Mi Xiang green was the complexity and nuanced layers of spicy notes, never had that before.

Nov 14th, '16, 12:18

by victoria3 » Nov 14th, '16, 12:18

:?
pedant wrote:never heard of Living Tea, will have to check out the site.
nice pic btw
Attachments
File Nov 14, 9 16 40 AM.jpeg
File Nov 14, 9 16 40 AM.jpeg (24.46 KiB) Viewed 763 times

Nov 14th, '16, 13:43
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 14th, '16, 13:43

Father's Love 2014 from Dr. Chen, Tainan: This tea is so relaxing. I would be asleep but have pie in the oven. It is a "rich" brew for lack of a better description. The liquor feels complex yet the only flavor I can name clearly is charcoal-roast. Really powerful flavor hits & a good body feel follows. Love it but cannot say much about it. Cheers

Nov 14th, '16, 22:30
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 14th, '16, 22:30

Thai Chin Shin oolong in a 500ml early 80s pot. Nice start to the morning! Nice orchid taste and a smooth tea.

Nov 15th, '16, 20:35

by pedant » Nov 15th, '16, 20:35

Wang's OB from ethan. brewing 5g in 80mL 1990 hongni, 200°F. has some cinnamon and raisin character, not really getting any tart fruitiness. a great tea for the evening

Nov 15th, '16, 22:47
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 15th, '16, 22:47

pedant wrote:Wang's OB from ethan. brewing 5g in 80mL 1990 hongni, 200°F. has some cinnamon and raisin character, not really getting any tart fruitiness. a great tea for the evening
I have been drinking this almost everyday & a couple of times got tart flavors but don't know why. Today a couple of infusions were almost exceedingly sweet & there was only a slight hint of cinnamon. Other days are spicier & less sweet. I've been brewing in celadon using less leaf than you did, same temp.

Nov 17th, '16, 03:09

by victoria3 » Nov 17th, '16, 03:09

Got my order of roasted oolongs and a few more from Chen Hua Yin (company name- Shin Cheng fang). I'm trying them and really enjoying what I've sampled so far;
  • DongDing Medium Roast Spring & Fall - rich, expansive, camphor, spicey.
    Roasted High Mountain- a nice road ready, streetwise oolong, i.e not so precious but good, so I can be distracted and enjoy. very economical.
    2016 Bug Bitten oolong - leaves are super thick, aromatic, golden amber liquor. Moscatel. Rich.
    ShanLinXi - enjoyed, but need to revisit steeping time.
    Carbon Roasted DaYuLing Spring -saving this one for a calm afternoon
I also revisited Chen's LiShan included with kyarazen's order, and finally got the steeping parameters working to my liking. I can now say it is richer, a little more buttery, with a pleasant minerality. The 3rd steep was the most buttery, expansive and elevating. 8/110/off boil/70sec.in Shimizu Ken Nosaka 200ml kyusu. I'm so glad I have a few larger pots, since some teas really need the extra space to perform.
Attachments
Chen Hua Yin order 2016-11_sm.jpg
Chen Hua Yin order 2016-11_sm.jpg (33.67 KiB) Viewed 714 times

Nov 17th, '16, 13:05

by kyarazen » Nov 17th, '16, 13:05

let me send on your way soon a sample of the winter FSS.. its.. wow! :D i put the singapore allocation on the shelf at the tea house a few days ago.. and today there were only 2 tins left! :mrgreen: i'm glad i kept enough for myself :P

Nov 17th, '16, 18:45

by victoria3 » Nov 17th, '16, 18:45

kyarazen wrote:let me send on your way soon a sample of the winter FSS.. its.. wow! :D i put the singapore allocation on the shelf at the tea house a few days ago.. and today there were only 2 tins left! :mrgreen: i'm glad i kept enough for myself :P
Oooh, is that moi you are sharing your bounty with?

I've happily paired Chen's Medium Roasted DongDing with my new Hojuko 250ml kyusu (via Alex) and my lonely, from lack of use, Hojuko Yaishime Sake Set. A perfect match. Although, these roasted oolongs seem to be calling for new thicker cups, with a darker animalistic personality.
Attachments
Chen's Roasted DongDing w Hokujo set L1000094_1sm.jpg
Chen's Medium Roasted DongDing w Hokujo Tokoname set
Chen's Roasted DongDing w Hokujo set L1000094_1sm.jpg (43.65 KiB) Viewed 692 times

Nov 17th, '16, 21:39

by kyarazen » Nov 17th, '16, 21:39

victoria3 wrote: Oooh, is that moi you are sharing your bounty with?

I've happily paired Chen's Medium Roasted DongDing with my new Hojuko 250ml kyusu (via Alex) and my lonely, from lack of use, Hojuko Yaishime Sake Set. A perfect match. Although, these roasted oolongs seem to be calling for new thicker cups, with a darker animalistic personality.
yup :D is it the same californian address to be sent to as per the spring FSS order?

and nice combination! now that you remind me.. i had been looking hard for a tall Hokujo pitcher.. but the tea ones are generally for water cooling and shallow and the sake vessel looks just perfect! onto the shipping list.. ;)

Nov 18th, '16, 01:50

by victoria3 » Nov 18th, '16, 01:50

kyarazen wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Oooh, is that moi you are sharing your bounty with?

yup :D is it the same californian address to be sent to as per the spring FSS order?

and nice combination! now that you remind me.. i had been looking hard for a tall Hokujo pitcher.. but the tea ones are generally for water cooling and shallow and the sake vessel looks just perfect! onto the shipping list.. ;)
Oh wow, very generous! Thanks for sharing. I'll PM you address and will keep an eye out for a Hokujo pitcher for you. Preheated, it keeps liquor warm a little longer and I noticed if I leave oolong sitting in those cups the flavor deepens.

Nov 18th, '16, 08:31

by Sasameyuki » Nov 18th, '16, 08:31

victoria3 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:let me send on your way soon a sample of the winter FSS.. its.. wow! :D i put the singapore allocation on the shelf at the tea house a few days ago.. and today there were only 2 tins left! :mrgreen: i'm glad i kept enough for myself :P
Oooh, is that moi you are sharing your bounty with?

Very beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18th, '16, 13:34
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 18th, '16, 13:34

victoria3 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:let me send on your way soon a sample of the winter FSS.. its.. wow!

Such exclamations will have everyone asking for samples, kyarazen!

these roasted oolongs seem to be calling for new thicker cups, with a darker animalistic personality.
Victoria, Your phrase "darker animalistic personality" provoked a ? for me. I recently returned to a flesh-free diet (not vegan, I do eat dairy products & eggs); & simultaneously found myself drinking out of thin white porcelain cups....

Thank you both for interesting talk about oolong.

Nov 19th, '16, 01:05

by victoria3 » Nov 19th, '16, 01:05

Oh good question Ethan; after a few months with Chen Hua Yin's Roasted DongDing and thinking about it, I created the image below in its honor. It is now becoming a series. It best expresses what I meant, although maybe it's not so dark. I was at the same time speaking about pairing this oolong with a new yunomi that would be dark and look like a machete chiseled it.... somehow this roasted oolong seems to be calling for a cup with a strong personality.

Ode to Oolong ....from my Fog & Fur series...
Attachments
Ode to Ooolong Fog & Fur series_sm5.jpg
Ode to Oolong ....from my Fog & Fur series...
Ode to Ooolong Fog & Fur series_sm5.jpg (78.55 KiB) Viewed 587 times

+ Post Reply