Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 14th, '15, 15:26
Vendor Member

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by jayinhk » Apr 14th, '15, 15:26

Bok wrote:
jayinhk wrote:The oolong is for the Chinese community and I bet it is exported to Taiwan too.
They do for sure. Actually most of the drinkshops, selling bubble tea and others only use tea from Vietnam and Thailand. Economically their prices don’t make sense otherwise…

I thought they just used crappy TW tea! I had 'Alishan' from a bubble tea place in the airport in Singapore that was so overbrewed, I couldn't finish the cup and had to find something to eat to bring my sugar back up. In Manila, they stick the oolong bags in espresso machines...even worse! In both cases, their oolong made me nauseous.

Apr 14th, '15, 22:36

by Bok » Apr 14th, '15, 22:36

jayinhk wrote: I thought they just used crappy TW tea! I had 'Alishan' from a bubble tea place in the airport in Singapore that was so overbrewed, I couldn't finish the cup and had to find something to eat to bring my sugar back up. In Manila, they stick the oolong bags in espresso machines...even worse! In both cases, their oolong made me nauseous.
Yep, that’s why I don’t even bother with the drinkshops, as tempting as it may be in the summer heat of Taiwan, I only go for the fruit juice shops.

There are a few exceptions, which use genuine good tea from Taiwan, but you can tell mostly by the price difference.

Only thing worse than crappy oolong around these parts is crappy black tea!
Recently had a supposed Sun Moon Lake No18 which made me probably as nauseous as your Manila tea :mrgreen:
Should’ve known better…

Apr 14th, '15, 22:54
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 14th, '15, 22:54

I find if I need a theanine kick on the move, bottled tea is a safer bet! Singapore loves bottled oolong.

Apr 14th, '15, 23:27

by kyarazen » Apr 14th, '15, 23:27

jayinhk wrote:I find if I need a theanine kick on the move, bottled tea is a safer bet! Singapore loves bottled oolong.
doesnt sell as well as sweetened jasmine or other type of teas!

Apr 15th, '15, 00:58
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 15th, '15, 00:58

True, but still available practically anywhere in SG! :) Maybe I only paid attention to people drinking bottled oolong!

Apr 15th, '15, 22:17
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 15th, '15, 22:17

Rougui from Lam Kie Yun in HK. Used more leaf than last time and wow, much better. Excellent flavor, primarily orchid and fruit, and very calming. Let's see how long it holds out.

Apr 16th, '15, 10:55

by Math » Apr 16th, '15, 10:55

Had a fantastic session with teafriends yesterday. Had the opportunity to drink:

Lalashan gaoshan from MD3T
Tong tian xiang DC From Hojo
Shui jin gui and 2006 SX from EOT

all excellent!

Apr 16th, '15, 11:55

by puerhking » Apr 16th, '15, 11:55

2014 Premium Bai Hao (Oriental Beauty) from Dragon Tea House. I really like this one....a great way to start the morning.

Apr 16th, '15, 22:43
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 16th, '15, 22:43

High roast Zhengyan Rougui from jkteashop with Iberico ham. Nice flavor, distinct coconut in the aroma, and very smooth. Quite good actually.

Edit: only two good infusions. I expected more.

Their Imperial TLH seems better. Waiting to see how long it lasts.

I like the TLH better, and it went three infusions. The roast on their oolongs seems good, but the base material seems to be just ok. Admittedly I've only had one either TLH (from Singapore), but IMO the cheaper Singapore TLH is better. Less of a roast, though, so not directly comparable.

Apr 17th, '15, 12:52

by wert » Apr 17th, '15, 12:52

Recently, I was kindly gifted this aged muzha TGY. I don't like it at all when I first tried it. It was watery and weak. But, when I tried again with different parameters, it turns out much better. A distinct sweetness with a lingering aftertaste. In this case, the tea is too good for the human.

Apr 17th, '15, 14:19

by steanze » Apr 17th, '15, 14:19

jayinhk wrote:High roast Zhengyan Rougui from jkteashop with Iberico ham. Nice flavor, distinct coconut in the aroma, and very smooth. Quite good actually.

Edit: only two good infusions. I expected more.

Their Imperial TLH seems better. Waiting to see how long it lasts.

I like the TLH better, and it went three infusions. The roast on their oolongs seems good, but the base material seems to be just ok. Admittedly I've only had one either TLH (from Singapore), but IMO the cheaper Singapore TLH is better. Less of a roast, though, so not directly comparable.
I've had a similar experience with most of their yanchas - not impressed. I like their dancongs better. Among the yanchas, I preferred their imperial shui jin gui and their bai ji guan.

Apr 17th, '15, 20:14

by debunix » Apr 17th, '15, 20:14

wert wrote:Image

Recently, I was kindly gifted this aged muzha TGY. I don't like it at all when I first tried it. It was watery and weak. But, when I tried again with different parameters, it turns out much better. A distinct sweetness with a lingering aftertaste. In this case, the tea is too good for the human.
Or the tea is good enough to encourage the human to strive for better.

Apr 17th, '15, 22:50

by Muadeeb » Apr 17th, '15, 22:50

What did you change in your brewing of this tea to make it better? I have some aged Muzha TGY that I tried once but was also weak.
wert wrote:Image

What did you change in your brewing of this tea to make it better? I have some aged Muzha TGY that I tried once but was also weak.

Apr 17th, '15, 23:22

by wert » Apr 17th, '15, 23:22

Muadeeb wrote:What did you change in your brewing of this tea to make it better? I have some aged Muzha TGY that I tried once but was also weak.
When I looked at the leaves, it is fairly unrolled and greenish, quite absence of much roast at all. That's why, I treat it like a gaoshan, leaves just covering the base and quick steeps. This tea turned out better for me when I used more leaves and steep for a bit longer like a roasted oolong. I think for this particular one, I can be use even more leaves. Fairly common sense approach.

Apr 18th, '15, 03:50
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 18th, '15, 03:50

steanze wrote: I've had a similar experience with most of their yanchas - not impressed. I like their dancongs better. Among the yanchas, I preferred their imperial shui jin gui and their bai ji guan.
Just tried their medium-high roast Shui Xian. It actually had an unpleasant note to it...like a hint of bug spray. The roast level is an interesting middle ground between medium and high for sure, but it just doesn't work well with the mediocre material. IMO the worst of the ones I've tried so far.

+ Post Reply