Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 3rd, '17, 21:03
Vendor Member

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by ethan » Jan 3rd, '17, 21:03

Enjoying a 40% roast from tea grown at about 1600 meters. At shop initial steeping (after quick rinse of the rolled leaves) was about 1 minute. I did the same resulting in similar result: familiar mature, green flavor of lightly oxidized leaves accompanied by modest taste of the roasting. At the shop the 2nd & the 3rd steeping lasted about 20 seconds. When I extended these an additional 10 seconds, I spoiled the balance of flavors. For me, the roast overly dominates w/ that 30-second infusion; moreover, the roast takes on the aggressive taste of charcoal itself, not charcoal-roasted flavoring. (I will keep 2nd & 3rd steeping times, quick in the future.)

It seems that at the shop 4th rounds for such teas were steeped 35 - 45 seconds; 5th etc. about double that time. If leaves were being pushed on & on, I saw the teapot being 3/4 filled w/ hot water. (At that point w/ the body of the liquid getting quite thin, somebody may have just wondered how many infusions I & another guy there were willing & able to drink.)

To taste the work of the roasting along w/ the greenness of the lightly oxidized tea, pleases me. To get what I want, I am finding I don't need to be very exact about water temperature & amount of leaf; rather, I need to get timing right.

Jan 4th, '17, 00:17
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jan 4th, '17, 00:17

hopeofdawn wrote:
Ethan, a question for you--I've brewed your Father's Love 2011 a couple of times now, but I'm afraid I'm not getting any of the nuances you talked about. All I can really taste is the roast--it's a nice smooth roast, reminiscent of hojicha, but usually I expect a bit more subtle notes in Taiwanese oolongs. I've brewed it anywhere from 175-190 degrees F, for multiple steeps--any recommendations on how to pull the best out of this tea?
Replying to this post again because of recent experience w/ somewhat similar tea (not oxidized & roasted as much as the Father's & not aged; yet somewhat similar to me). So, here's report on this time's session of Father's Love 2011:

I just tried higher temperature than my last reply to you: just off the boil (I am guessing 200F or slightly higher) & a minute of steeping for the 1st infusion. The taste of roast is strong, but there is more going on than that; however, definitely no hint of green flavors. Somebody drinking w/ me is saying all flavors (save the roast) are blended but there. (He does not like me saying "subtle" or "muted". I have been waiting for him to say "smooth" but he is not.)

20-second 2nd & 3rd infusions: 2nd flavor of dried fruit taste noted by me; 3rd he finally talks again & says "spice".

40-second 4th infusion: a watery roasted flavor is dominating w/ a light minty aftertaste. I feel satisfied. My companion looks satisfied.

I've just been called an idiot after dumping the leaves. My tea-buddy did not mind the watered-down feel of the last infusion & would have welcomed another round. Also now he sees how little leaf I used & says that I should have used at least twice as much.

I will use more leaf next time, about 2 grams per ounce. I know when I first sampled this last October that we drank several infusions before flavor & body started to get thin & we had at least a few good rounds after that.

Cheers, hopeofdawn

Jan 4th, '17, 02:36
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 4th, '17, 02:36

ethan wrote:
hopeofdawn wrote:
Ethan, a question for you--I've brewed your Father's Love 2011 a couple of times now, but I'm afraid I'm not getting any of the nuances you talked about. All I can really taste is the roast--it's a nice smooth roast, reminiscent of hojicha, but usually I expect a bit more subtle notes in Taiwanese oolongs. I've brewed it anywhere from 175-190 degrees F, for multiple steeps--any recommendations on how to pull the best out of this tea?
Replying to this post again because of recent experience w/ somewhat similar tea (not oxidized & roasted as much as the Father's & not aged; yet somewhat similar to me). So, here's report on this time's session of Father's Love 2011:

I just tried higher temperature than my last reply to you: just off the boil (I am guessing 200F or slightly higher) & a minute of steeping for the 1st infusion. The taste of roast is strong, but there is more going on than that; however, definitely no hint of green flavors. Somebody drinking w/ me is saying all flavors (save the roast) are blended but there. (He does not like me saying "subtle" or "muted". I have been waiting for him to say "smooth" but he is not.)

20-second 2nd & 3rd infusions: 2nd flavor of dried fruit taste noted by me; 3rd he finally talks again & says "spice".

40-second 4th infusion: a watery roasted flavor is dominating w/ a light minty aftertaste. I feel satisfied. My companion looks satisfied.

I've just been called an idiot after dumping the leaves. My tea-buddy did not mind the watered-down feel of the last infusion & would have welcomed another round. Also now he sees how little leaf I used & says that I should have used at least twice as much.

I will use more leaf next time, about 2 grams per ounce. I know when I first sampled this last October that we drank several infusions before flavor & body started to get thin & we had at least a few good rounds after that.

Cheers, hopeofdawn
Are you brewing in clay pot or porcelain? 2 grams per ounce sounds good. The tea might also benefit from a little waking up with light heat if it has been exposed to air/humidity for a little too long. Oolong tea should really be stored completely airtight and never touched with moist or wet hands and then returned to the container (ideally, it should never be touched with the hands at all until you're loading your teapot, and even then, many prefer to use a cha he).

Jan 4th, '17, 06:19
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jan 4th, '17, 06:19

I am using a celadon gaiwan. It is medium-thick. To me it is porcelain that is just a bit thicker than usual. I was using 1 gram per ounce. I will be increasing to 2 per ounce next time. While traveling I keep tea in resealable kraft paper/thick foil pouches which do an excellent job. Of course, tea is suffering change in climates, rides in airplanes, etc. (I only packed what was in tea caddies, since 2 months in them while I was away seemed stupid.)

I don't think this tea needs a freshening roast. It has been very good; however, I know when it is made just right, it is better than very good. And it is a tea that is not a slap-in-face-w/flavors type; so, perhaps it is too subtle for drinking while sitting in the lobby of a bustling hostel

I only have 7 - 8 grams w/ me; so, I can't have > 1 session w/ this for a couple of months. Thanks for advice Jay.

Jan 4th, '17, 07:04
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 4th, '17, 07:04

ethan wrote:I am using a celadon gaiwan. It is medium-thick. To me it is porcelain that is just a bit thicker than usual. I was using 1 gram per ounce. I will be increasing to 2 per ounce next time. While traveling I keep tea in resealable kraft paper/thick foil pouches which do an excellent job. Of course, tea is suffering change in climates, rides in airplanes, etc. (I only packed what was in tea caddies, since 2 months in them while I was away seemed stupid.)

I don't think this tea needs a freshening roast. It has been very good; however, I know when it is made just right, it is better than very good. And it is a tea that is not a slap-in-face-w/flavors type; so, perhaps it is too subtle for drinking while sitting in the lobby of a bustling hostel

I only have 7 - 8 grams w/ me; so, I can't have > 1 session w/ this for a couple of months. Thanks for advice Jay.
Many oolongs need refreshing/reroasting annually (or every few years) to be their best. It is common practice in the tea industry. I roasted some SLX this week that I bought with you in January. I felt it had much less to give after a year, even though it's been stored airtight. The Japanese even roast some of their old green tea at times to make hojicha!

I just roasted up some high mountain assamica green that was a few years old to try making an assamica hojicha. I gave it 150 Celsius, but I think I might have to go even higher to give it a little char.

Another thought is the Father's Love is too roasty because it needs to rest for a month or two to be its best. I have no doubt it's been reroasted at least once, and perhaps more than once, in the last five years. I tend to leave teas alone for three or four months to settle after a roast to see what they really have to give.

Jan 4th, '17, 14:46
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jan 4th, '17, 14:46

So, I go to Thailand today. I'll rest the 8 grams for a few weeks there &then try it. I have a 75-gram pack in USA & several 50-gram packs of Father's 2014 which is very close to '11. (So, eventually I'll see about re-roasting this tea. I lean towards the estimation it won't need it, but am open to what you say.)

At home in USA when I open a sealed pack of tea, I make some immediately; then put the rest in a ceramic tea caddy to get some air for a week or so before using it regularly. (Favorites get made almost daily) Disappointing rounds lead to work on preparation which usually finds solution (often w/ help from you & others on TeaChat). I have re-roasted twice & roasted tea that what quite green once (that was unsuccessful but awful tea to begin with). cheers Jay

Jan 5th, '17, 00:53
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 5th, '17, 00:53

Deviating from the usual and drinking cheap Thai blended shuixian in a knockoff Factory 1 pot...and enjoying it! The tea isn't bad at all as long as it's brewed a little cooler and without too much leaf. The pot also smoothens out the tea and refines the flavor. Totally serves as a reminder that you don't really have to spend a lot to have an enjoyable tea session.

Jan 5th, '17, 15:53

by victoria3 » Jan 5th, '17, 15:53

After a week of coffee in NYC while staying with coffee drinking friends, I'm really enjoying Bird Picks High Mountain Oolong brewed in my tall F1 yixing houhin and sipping out of Seifu Yohei porcelain cups. This is my everyday Oolong that I can enjoy without necessarily paying too much attention as I unpack and rehydrate. While this oolong isn't top grade it is aromatic and flavorful; the yixing clay smooths it out; the masterful porcelain cups glaze glides the tea off the cup elevating an everyday oolong to new levels. Glad to have the space and calm to enjoy. Now onto Chen´s Mid Roasted DongDing which I have been really missing.

Jan 7th, '17, 07:46
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 7th, '17, 07:46

Drinking a good drinking grade blended DHP from a Hong Kong vendor. Pretty high roast. This tea didn't meet my standards earlier this year, but resting it has done it a great deal of good. Trying out the F1 heitiesha shuiping I bought from Ferg and it absolutely sings with this tea. I'm detecting citrus and aged shuixian notes that I hadn't noticed before.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO9pvR-jf6u ... fehk&hl=en

Jan 7th, '17, 22:39

by bagua7 » Jan 7th, '17, 22:39

jayinhk wrote:Many oolongs need refreshing/reroasting annually (or every few years) to be their best. It is common practice in the tea industry.
Hey Jay, how would you re-roast a light oolong from a mid to a higher elevation if the only equipment available is an electric cooktop and a ceramic saucepan. It may sound very anti-traditional but it's all I got with me, bud. Thanks in advance! :)

Jan 7th, '17, 22:47
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 7th, '17, 22:47

bagua7 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Many oolongs need refreshing/reroasting annually (or every few years) to be their best. It is common practice in the tea industry.
Hey Jay, how would you re-roast a light oolong from a mid to a higher elevation if the only equipment available is an electric cooktop and a ceramic saucepan. It may sound very anti-traditional but it's all I got with me, bud. Thanks in advance! :)
Low heat and keep it moving. Much easier to burn your tea that way if you're not careful! I've roasted coffee that way but I only ever refresh teas on the stove (drive off moisture and wake them up a little).

Jan 8th, '17, 15:36

by bagua7 » Jan 8th, '17, 15:36

Thanks. What's a sign that tells you it's ready. The smell of it?

Jan 8th, '17, 17:06
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 8th, '17, 17:06

bagua7 wrote:Thanks. What's a sign that tells you it's ready. The smell of it?
I have never roasted anything to a high roast, but I recently roasted some Spring 2015 Shan Lin Xi that wasn't as flavorful as it was in January. I fell asleep while it was in the oven, but the aroma went from sweet to slightly smokey. The stronger the aroma and flavor of the tea, the more smell it will give off. The SLX really made me sleepy and the smell filled my home. I was worried the tea was burnt, but it was still quite green and after resting for a few weeks, it smells like medium roast Muzha tieguanyin. I'll give it a try in a few weeks.

I think there's a good chance you will burn your tea in a pan since you can't control the temperature so easily, so I'd start off low and slowly and carefully work up in temperature. A thermometer would help. I'd go no higher than maybe 140 C. I started getting the toasty notes at that temperature and the higher you go, the more origin character you will drive off.

Jan 8th, '17, 17:35

by victoria3 » Jan 8th, '17, 17:35

Finally getting to calmly sit down to properly try Chen Hua Yin's LiShan Primitive Wild Forest Winter Organic, a kind gift from kyarazen. It lives up to its wonderful name, offering an elegant experience with a high mineral content, sweet, buttery, subtly floral aromatics and a smooth liquor. I will definitely order this oolong, as it presents a uniquely elegant flavor profile and a chance to imagine the wild primeval forest it grows in. Thank you kyarazen :)

Jan 8th, '17, 19:00

by debunix » Jan 8th, '17, 19:00

That sounds like a lovely tea. I'd be jealous but I'm having a lovely tea weekend with Chen's Dong Ding, the group buy FuShouShan, a sencha that came from the wonderful samples Cal brought me from the Tokyo small producers' tea event, and more of the An Ji Bai Cha like Nan Rong Gan Jian green tea sampler from Tea Habitat.

Chen's oolong is warm, spicy, sweet, earthy, just lovely.

+ Post Reply