How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Feb 17th, '16, 19:23

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by pizzapotamus » Feb 17th, '16, 19:23

Teapot by Setsudo, engraved by Kodo. It's a bit larger than ideal but in person it's amazing and half full works well enough

Hand for scale :)

Don't have a great photo of just the filter but it's a rather fine mesh(hard to believe they're made by hand) and it does meet the with holes right up to edge.

Feb 17th, '16, 19:28

by pizzapotamus » Feb 17th, '16, 19:28

pedant wrote: (SHIMIZU Ken nosaka 140mL)
Looks very nice. I've wanted one of those smoothed Shimizu Ken pots but circumstances never worked out right.

Feb 17th, '16, 23:17

by pedant » Feb 17th, '16, 23:17

pizzapotamus wrote:Teapot by Setsudo, engraved by Kodo.
whoa!
i've been eyeing that and the other pots from that duo on AN for a long time... it's awesome to see some higher res pics of one of those beauties. awesome. in addition to the more obvious stuff, i love the base/feet on that one.

have you seen the newer "Fujin and Raijin" one? it's insane.

Feb 18th, '16, 02:41

by pizzapotamus » Feb 18th, '16, 02:41

I do quite like the Fujin and Raijin art as well but unlike the dragon which was "only" more than I probably should have spent(finally gave in after urging by the gf.... :D ) that one is a lot more than I should spend. Also just from the limited impression you can get from the photos on the site I do tend to favour the pots where they've worked together rather than the solo Kodo works. Things like the more elaborate base and the inro lid where there's no gap in the engraved design.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd certainly not say no to it ;)

Feb 22nd, '16, 03:28

by Alex » Feb 22nd, '16, 03:28

blairswhitaker wrote:Here are a few Junzo Maekawa pots, all made from the famous kobiwako clay. One is mine, one is a shop pot, and the other two belong to clients.

enabled!! just ordered a couple of pieces off the back of this pic.

Feb 22nd, '16, 19:21

by JRS22 » Feb 22nd, '16, 19:21

Alex wrote:
blairswhitaker wrote:Here are a few Junzo Maekawa pots, all made from the famous kobiwako clay. One is mine, one is a shop pot, and the other two belong to clients.

enabled!! just ordered a couple of pieces off the back of this pic.
How?

Feb 23rd, '16, 09:51

by Alex » Feb 23rd, '16, 09:51

From hojo tea.

Will get some pics up soon but just to say

-craftsmanship is superb, thin walled and best direct filter I've seen on a kyusu
-clay is amazing fit for sencha, maybe the best I've tasted
-highly functional and precise with a rustic humble feel which doesn't come across in pics.

Overall highly recommended. I'm surprised they aren't getting snapped up. Certainly for sencha they are by far the best offering on hojo right now... Imo

Feb 23rd, '16, 12:15

by JRS22 » Feb 23rd, '16, 12:15

Alex wrote:From hojo tea.

Will get some pics up soon but just to say

-craftsmanship is superb, thin walled and best direct filter I've seen on a kyusu
-clay is amazing fit for sencha, maybe the best I've tasted
-highly functional and precise with a rustic humble feel which doesn't come across in pics.

Overall highly recommended. I'm surprised they aren't getting snapped up. Certainly for sencha they are by far the best offering on hojo right now... Imo
Thanks for the pointer. I just sent Hojo an inquiry to reserve one of the smaller Kyusu. I'm very happy with my Junzo black kinsai pot. The prices seem very reasonable for the quality, maybe because Junzo is young.

Feb 26th, '16, 11:55

by pizzapotamus » Feb 26th, '16, 11:55

Tube wrote:these are my Kyusu,
made from the craftsman Konishi Yohei and Ogawa Jinpachi
So, any thoughts on your new pots? I've been wondering what the Jinpachi ones are like.

Feb 26th, '16, 12:03

by kyarazen » Feb 26th, '16, 12:03

pizzapotamus wrote: So, any thoughts on your new pots? I've been wondering what the Jinpachi ones are like.
very nice handling and pour! :D

Feb 29th, '16, 13:36

by kyarazen » Feb 29th, '16, 13:36

made an order for small hokujo pots over a year ago.. finally arrived :P really lovely clay! and just as expected, excellent with rolled oolongs

Feb 29th, '16, 23:27

by Tead Off » Feb 29th, '16, 23:27

kyarazen wrote: made an order for small hokujo pots over a year ago.. finally arrived :P really lovely clay! and just as expected, excellent with rolled oolongs
I've had good success with Dancong teas using the same Hokujo clay but in his shallow shiboridashi. Also, gyokuro teas.

Mar 1st, '16, 11:18

by Alex » Mar 1st, '16, 11:18

Ohh lovely Hokujos! Like the seaweed one!

Just got a 150ml Junzo.

Clay is a stunning match for sencha. Best I've tasted for me.

Craftsmanship is also excellent. Check out how clean the filter is!

Very functional piece.

Its pour is among the best I've seen as well. Like a laser. Seen very few pots with a pour as good as this.

Mar 1st, '16, 11:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Mar 1st, '16, 11:57

Niiiiice Alex, sure it brews like a champion!

Mar 2nd, '16, 03:25

by Alex » Mar 2nd, '16, 03:25

kyarazen wrote:Image

made an order for small hokujo pots over a year ago.. finally arrived :P really lovely clay! and just as expected, excellent with rolled oolongs

Damn you and that picture. Had to order one of the smaller ones. Love Hokujos work but rarely see direct filter sub 200ml pots from him. If you prompted the order from artistic Nippon then we'll done that man!

For those also tempted let me give a gentle push

-very thin walled
-Hokujo is a big tea drinker and it shows in his work
-fit and finish is as good as it gets.
-for me the pots are aesthetically the best in Japan.
-and lastly the opertunity to get a small size rarely comes up.

Thanks kyarazen

Some more info about the clay.
Though Hokujo is the son of a family that has been in the ceramics business for three generations, he is not afraid to take his own path. In the Tokoname tradition, red, unglazed pottery made from field clay is the norm, but after being encouraged by his parents to “make something different from what anyone else is making,” he switched to clay made from mountain soils, and has been using it for over thirty years.

While the normal firing process for Tokoname-style works requires a gas kiln at 1150 degrees Celsius, the mountain clay Hokujo uses is tough and cohesive, and is noted for its ability to stand up to even higher temperatures in the kiln. When the pieces are fired in a deoxygenated, highly reducing environment, the clay fuses, forming durable walls and giving the pieces their unique shine and patina.

“When you use unprocessed clay – clay that has its original, natural qualities intact – the high quality of that clay expresses itself in the piece,” Hokujo explains, revealing his fascination with the material that has become his trademark.

+ Post Reply