Aug 18th, '10, 06:25
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Celadon Ru Kiln Gaiwan

by Herb_Master » Aug 18th, '10, 06:25

auhckw wrote:
Herb_Master wrote:
auhckw wrote:I came across this in a tea shop today.
Where was the shop? I shall be visiting Malaysia in 3 weeks time and always fancy browsing round new tea shops!
The shop is in South City Plaza, Persiaran Serdang Perdana, 43300 Seri Kembangan. Unfortuantely I cannot remember the name of the shop. Will get you the contact later.

...... ..... ...... Not sure a place worth the trip for you. Anyway, if you are at the mall you many drop by Tea-Li which is just walking distance out of the plaza.

...... ...... .
Thanks, it is worth keeping in mind in case I ever visit the Mines Resort!

I shall be revisiting Wisdom Arts, for the afternoon tea sessions (mainly pu-erh) with the owners and their friends. On my last day of my last visit, one of the friends told me of some places in and near Bukit Bintang where he gets his best quality Yan Cha, if I encounter him near the start of my visit I will get the names and addresses from him.

I may also pay a visit to Hojo in the gardens at MVMM to see what the famous Banko teaware looks like before possibly buying online.

I am visiting Langkawi and Penang in the 2nd / 3rd week, I dont hold out much hope for langkawi, but could do with some suggestions for Georgetown. 2 years ago found a superb shop in Pangkor, and a good one in Ipoh, but last year Taipei proved very disappointing.

Aug 18th, '10, 08:17

by mr. Less » Aug 18th, '10, 08:17

what is the capacity of this gaiwan? Is it more then 100 ml?
Very nice btw

Aug 18th, '10, 08:39

by auhckw » Aug 18th, '10, 08:39

Herb_Master wrote:
auhckw wrote:
Herb_Master wrote:
auhckw wrote:I came across this in a tea shop today.
Where was the shop? I shall be visiting Malaysia in 3 weeks time and always fancy browsing round new tea shops!
The shop is in South City Plaza, Persiaran Serdang Perdana, 43300 Seri Kembangan. Unfortuantely I cannot remember the name of the shop. Will get you the contact later.

...... ..... ...... Not sure a place worth the trip for you. Anyway, if you are at the mall you many drop by Tea-Li which is just walking distance out of the plaza.

...... ...... .
Thanks, it is worth keeping in mind in case I ever visit the Mines Resort!

I shall be revisiting Wisdom Arts, for the afternoon tea sessions (mainly pu-erh) with the owners and their friends. On my last day of my last visit, one of the friends told me of some places in and near Bukit Bintang where he gets his best quality Yan Cha, if I encounter him near the start of my visit I will get the names and addresses from him.

I may also pay a visit to Hojo in the gardens at MVMM to see what the famous Banko teaware looks like before possibly buying online.

I am visiting Langkawi and Penang in the 2nd / 3rd week, I dont hold out much hope for langkawi, but could do with some suggestions for Georgetown. 2 years ago found a superb shop in Pangkor, and a good one in Ipoh, but last year Taipei proved very disappointing.
Wow... Seems like you are very familiar with Malaysia. May have to learn from you the locations :)

Aug 18th, '10, 08:40

by auhckw » Aug 18th, '10, 08:40

mr. Less wrote:what is the capacity of this gaiwan? Is it more then 100 ml?
Very nice btw
There are XS, S, M and L

Mine is M size. It should be more than 100ml, I will try to measure later.

Edit: Indeed it is more than 100ml, I think about 125ml (max full). Practically it should be 100ml full.

Aug 18th, '10, 10:55

by auhckw » Aug 18th, '10, 10:55

Review:

I just tried Gyokuro in the Ru Kiln. Used a glass tea pot to brew the tea and then pour it into the Ru Kiln cup.

Seems like the first two infusion which usually has a little bitter when I drink it in Banko Yaki (Purple Clay) cup has gone down / nearly none. I think Ru Kiln gives stronger aroma (smell) and flavor.

On the 3rd infusion, I compared Ru Kiln cup side by side with Banko Yaki (Purple Clay) cup. Ru Kiln seems to give more flavor, but very much less After Taste compared to Purple Clay.

The cup is quite hot to hold, but still bearable. My only issue is, need to get use with this smaller cup. Been using 200ml cup all the while.

Aug 18th, '10, 13:45

by Chip » Aug 18th, '10, 13:45

Beautiful Ru Kiln gaiwan! I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Hmmm, celadon has a pretty good following. It would almost be worth having a "show us your celadon topic" :?: :idea: :!:

Aug 18th, '10, 14:15

by Victoria » Aug 18th, '10, 14:15

Sounds good to me Chip, I love celadon and would love to see people's wares! Plus I am doing a little experiment for Drax, using my celadon cup every morning for a while now and tracking the changes.

Aug 18th, '10, 20:17

by auhckw » Aug 18th, '10, 20:17

Chip wrote:Beautiful Ru Kiln gaiwan! I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Hmmm, celadon has a pretty good following. It would almost be worth having a "show us your celadon topic" :?: :idea: :!:
I've loving it so much, thinking to buy the set package.

I hope I can resist and not go out and buy during lunch...

Aug 18th, '10, 20:40

by Victoria » Aug 18th, '10, 20:40

I don't think anyone here is gonna try and stop you!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aug 19th, '10, 03:14

by auhckw » Aug 19th, '10, 03:14

Couldn't resist...

Aug 19th, '10, 05:24

by Herb_Master » Aug 19th, '10, 05:24

auhckw wrote:Couldn't resist...
Now you need some tea friends to use the other cups :D I will be there in 3 weeks time :wink:

Aug 19th, '10, 09:32

by Alex » Aug 19th, '10, 09:32

They feel nice in the hand too. I still prefer porcelain but these are great pieces to have in your collection.
Last edited by Alex on Sep 28th, '10, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 19th, '10, 10:55

by mr. Less » Aug 19th, '10, 10:55

a related question,

the porcelain ju ware series from lins cermaic studio, is that celadon as well, maybe even ru kiln?

it looks a little similar to me , very nice as well

Aug 19th, '10, 11:08

by auhckw » Aug 19th, '10, 11:08

Herb_Master wrote:
Now you need some tea friends to use the other cups :D I will be there in 3 weeks time :wink:
I just did my first Gungku with Gaiwan. First few infusion was hazardous. Water all over table. Burnt my hand. Gaiwan cover nearly fell off few times... But after 4th infusion, my kungfu level has improved, and I enjoyed it. :D

As fun as it is, doing this Gungku alone is so time consuming... I wonder does people actually do this alone.

Anyway, PM me when you are about to come KL. I'm usually quite free over the weekend. I can drive you around to hunt for tea shops (or should I say you introduce me to tea shops as I'm new) :mrgreen:
Last edited by auhckw on Aug 20th, '10, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 19th, '10, 11:15

by auhckw » Aug 19th, '10, 11:15

Herb_Master wrote:
Not sure you are interested... in the shop I bought the Ru Kiln, they have the limited edition of Celadon Ru Kiln teapot+2cups year 2008.

According to the owner, there are only 2008 units produced, but there should be only left 2007 units cause 1 was broken by the owner. He has about 5 stock left. I nearly bought it today, but at the last minute decided to buy the set gaiwan instead.

For that limited edition, the tea pot and cups have serial number on it. There is a nice box for it and also a wooden framed certificate.

+ Post Reply