Puer that has not aged well

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 18th, '10, 20:46

Puer that has not aged well

by zeusmta » Aug 18th, '10, 20:46

From my reading, I know that all puer tea does not age well. Both of the aged puer examples I have tried are supposed to be examples of puer that *has* aged well:

1993 Menghai 7542 from Nadacha
1980s Xiaguan Raw Toucha from Nadacha

I'm interested in trying samples of aged puer that has *not* aged well, for my learning process. I want to try to understand the difference. I'm not necessarily looking for poorly stored aged puer. I'm really looking for a well stored puer that simply was not a good candidate for aging in the first place. Hope that makes sense. Any suggestions?

Aug 18th, '10, 22:26

Re: Puer that has not aged well

by shah82 » Aug 18th, '10, 22:26

2005 Lao Chen's Bulang is my general nightmare.

Nanjian products, since most of their stuff is small leaf stuff (not Jingmai) that is peculiar.

I think that many post 2005 plantation formulas will have issues, since many are plainly using leaf of lower quality than before the heat of the boom.

Aug 19th, '10, 21:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Aug 19th, '10, 21:01

What you said makes sense, but I will be curious if you find anything....

Especially since every older tea I've seen (younger than 2000) is a "good tea," or at least, is priced relative to how well it has aged.

Also, I tend not to believe any vendor that says a younger tea is a "good candidate for aging," because I think they'd say that about any tea they have in stock.

I'd be curious what "common wisdom" says makes a good candidate for aging (and if you can get any two people to agree on it)...

Aug 19th, '10, 21:14

by AdamMY » Aug 19th, '10, 21:14

Drax wrote:I'd be curious what "common wisdom" says makes a good candidate for aging (and if you can get any two people to agree on it)...
Through the grape vine of people that actually know more about puerh than I do, they say an extremely bitter tea, that is exceedingly complex is prime for aging. This appears to be based on the fact that it was said about the famous 60's Redmark that when it was young it was nearly impossible to drink it was so strong.

That being said that is just what I've heard that I rather believe, but I have also heard much to the contrary, such as any tea can age well it depends mostly on storage.

The hard part definitely will be getting two people to agree!

+ Post Reply