Tuesday TeaDay 11/2/10 Open TD, you name the topic!

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Can you come up with a topic for today's TeaDay? If so, bring it on!

YES
13%
Maybe
47%
NO
40%

Total votes: 15

Nov 2nd, '10, 01:19
Scrolling: scrolling

Tuesday TeaDay 11/2/10 Open TD, you name the topic!

by Chip » Nov 2nd, '10, 01:19

Greetings TeaFriends and welcome to a new TeaDay. Please do drop in and share what is in your cup throughout the day.

Yesterday we discussed our personal tea of the month. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Well, that is up to you as I am brain dead. Anyone have a topic to discuss, please feel free to bring it on, I will keep the kettle on ... it is an open TeaDay! :mrgreen:

I am looking forward to sharing this open TeaDay with everyone! Bottoms up.

Nov 2nd, '10, 01:58

Re: Tuesday TeaDay 11/2/10 Open TD, you name the topic!

by auhckw » Nov 2nd, '10, 01:58

Glaze or Clay Teapots for your tea?

I am curious of how many people actually like to brew their tea in Glaze (eg, porcelain, glass, rukiln, etc) teapot or Clay (yixing, purple clay, etc) teapots?

Clay will somehow enhance the flavor of the tea making it lesser natural but may/may not taste better compared to Glaze. So what say you?

Nov 2nd, '10, 02:00
Vendor Member

by IPT » Nov 2nd, '10, 02:00

I've been trying so hard to come up with topic suggestions, but am just drawing a blank. Sorry Chip.

Nov 2nd, '10, 07:34

by Herb_Master » Nov 2nd, '10, 07:34

Clay for all Oolongs and Pu erh

Glazed for proprietary Black and herbal etc

Nov 2nd, '10, 09:02

by Jasmin » Nov 2nd, '10, 09:02

Good morning everyone. Right now I'm just drinking a herbal blend because I feel kinda under the weather.
I'm wondering how important the right teaware is for others.
For example, we have been drinking mint tea. I guess Moroccan style. Now I think it would taste even better if I had the appropriate teaware: tea glasses. And maybe even an appropriate tea pot.
Are things like that important to others?
Btw, does anyone know where I might get tea glasses like that?

Nov 2nd, '10, 10:04

by greenleafblue » Nov 2nd, '10, 10:04

I'm lazy so I like to use a porcelain gaiwan for pretty much everything.

tea of the day, aowanda charcoal roast from essence of tea. better taste but worse finish/aftertaste than his Hong Shui, better leaves too; but still I decided to reorder the hongshui rather than this one.

Nov 2nd, '10, 10:06

by TwoPynts » Nov 2nd, '10, 10:06

How about a list of dirty little tea secrets we don't want other tea drinkers to know about our brewing habits?
:twisted:

Nov 2nd, '10, 10:08

by Chip » Nov 2nd, '10, 10:08

GREAT questions so far :!:

auhckw, I brew more often in unglazed Tokoname kyusu-s. But there are plenty of exceptions, Hagi kyusu-s (though this is still somewhat porous anyway), and gaiwan-s, gaiwanesques. I cannot say I have a preference exactly. I go with the flow and seem to like the results.

Jasmin, I would typically like to include teaware that is traditional to a tea, but again plenty of exceptions. Still, I do like to do it if I can as it seems to enhance the enjoyment of the tea.

TwoPynts ... hmmm, cannot think of anything yet, might require some sole searching. :lol:

Nov 2nd, '10, 10:13

by TwoPynts » Nov 2nd, '10, 10:13

Chip wrote:TwoPynts ... hmmm, cannot think of anything yet, might require some sole searching. :lol:
8)
Sole searching? On your shoes? :wink:
I was thinking things like brewing in a vessel not usually used for a certain type of tea, using tea bags, that sort of thing...

Nov 2nd, '10, 10:24

by tortoise » Nov 2nd, '10, 10:24

Well, Chip, you are forgiven because I have not seen a mod be able to come up with so many topics, usually good ones too, on a daily basis. Take a break!

Auhckw: I prefer unglazed, though I don't have the appropriate unglazed ware currently for oolong or pu, so that usually get done in a gaiwan. Japanese greens in unglazed tokoname. I do not currently have the toys to always brew tea how I might like, but am making do in the mean-time.

jasmine: I think it's fun to at least explore the traditional tea ware for a certain tea, but I don't think it is necessary. For me, it's all about the brewing, regardless of the tea ware used. Though, the tea ware can definitely effect the brewing.

twopynts: dirty secrets, huh? That just begs the question, what are your dirty brewing secrets? I detect a desire to get something off of your chest. Are you using your shoe as a water cooler? Are you using "structured" water from your aquarium?

Nov 2nd, '10, 10:30
Vendor Member

by IPT » Nov 2nd, '10, 10:30

The right tea ware for the right tea is INCREDIBLY important for me. If I don't have the correct tea ware, I WON'T drink the tea. I know it might be silly, but I have been accused of being silly on a fairly regular basis. For example: I haven't had any Japanese Greens because I am lacking a Kyusu. I never found one I liked enough. I just did, so I should be getting one soon though, then I'm going to go nutz! :lol:

Nov 2nd, '10, 11:20

by tortoise » Nov 2nd, '10, 11:20

IPT wrote:The right tea ware for the right tea is INCREDIBLY important for me. If I don't have the correct tea ware, I WON'T drink the tea. I know it might be silly, but I have been accused of being silly on a fairly regular basis. For example: I haven't had any Japanese Greens because I am lacking a Kyusu. I never found one I liked enough. I just did, so I should be getting one soon though, then I'm going to go nutz! :lol:
Good point. Now that I have a kyusu, you won't catch me brewing sencha in a cast iron pot or yixing pot. That's what I did for a long time and it didn't stop me from enjoying the tea, but I won't be going back to that practice. Acquiring the "right" tea ware is a historical watershed moment.

Nov 2nd, '10, 11:34

by Stentor » Nov 2nd, '10, 11:34

IPT wrote:The right tea ware for the right tea is INCREDIBLY important for me.
I absolutely agree. I feel that preparing the tea with the "proper" teaware makes the whole experience much more enjoyable to me.
For lack of a better word, it's more "intimate".

Nov 2nd, '10, 12:43

by laura99 » Nov 2nd, '10, 12:43

This addresses both pot types and dirty secrets! I admit to still brewing in plastic quite often :oops:. I have Adagio’s ingenuiTEA and something similar from another vendor that I use. I am slowing upgrading though. I now have a Tokoname Kyusu for my Japanese greens, and my Den’s glazed Kyusu is now for all other tea’s but herbals. But at work its still plastic.

I am starting to get more interested in Oolongs, so will be soon looking for a clay pot for those. Hoping to find something I may feel comfortable with bring to work on Monday and back home on Friday. My Tokoname is not something I want to chance with that!

Brewing up some Miyabi sencha for my after lunch cup.

Nov 2nd, '10, 15:47

by TwoPynts » Nov 2nd, '10, 15:47

tortoise wrote:...Are you using "structured" water from your aquarium?
Who ratted me out?!? :x
I do use filtered or spring water for all of my brewing, but I tend to brew at whatever temperature the hot water is that comes from the office cooler. I also am currently limited to a gaiwan, big red ceramic teapot, and fair cup as my brewing vessels. :oops: