Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Oct 29th, '16, 23:47
Vendor Member

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by jayinhk » Oct 29th, '16, 23:47

Drinking 2015 Sanxia green tea from a store in Taipei--the vendors' daughter didn't want to sell me this stuff because she didn't think I'd like it. Having a very enjoyable session with it in Bat Trang (Northern Vietnamese) porcelain. I believe this tea set was only meant for ancestor worship, but it certainly makes great tea.

The vendors' daughter kept trying to dissuade me from buying certain teas (!). She was just visiting her parents and helping them communicate with me since my Mandarin isn't all that. She was an interesting character as she told me not to buy any pu as I'd get better in HK--what?? I got a brick of great 90s 7581 for a great price from her parents. The tea was so good, it set off a serious interest in 7581 (I now have like 25 bricks of it), and the green tea she said was only for her dad's morning consumption since he smoked cigarettes is absolutely amazing!

This tea is the best Chinese-style green I've ever had and has such an incredible fresh, fruity flavor and powerful cooling effect. Super smooth to drink, too. The tea's lost some of its vibrancy since January, but is still a pleasure to drink. I really need to buy less perishable tea as I never get through it in time. I'll definitely try and get more of this from the girl's parents when I'm out there next as this is by far my favorite green tea of all of the greens I've ever tried.

Oct 30th, '16, 00:41
Vendor Member

by ethan » Oct 30th, '16, 00:41

jayinhk wrote:Drinking 2015 Sanxia green tea from a store in Taipei--the vendors' daughter didn't want to sell me this stuff because she didn't think I'd like it.... I'll definitely try and get more of this from the girl's parents when I'm out there next as this is by far my favorite green tea of all of the greens I've ever tried.
The daughter was in the shop when I stopped in August 30th after just missing bus to Pinglin. (Weekdays run hourly on the half-hour but skip 12:30 run for lunch.) She gave me an unfriendly look & did not say hello; so, I walked out after a silent minute.

I'm almost drinking a green. Experimenting w/ Boazhong, having a gongfu session w/ it. A lot of leaf (pot about 20% dry leaves) & 10 - 15 second infusions highlight this oolong's greeness which is too strong for me from green tea but very nice for me in this gentler liquor from the oolong.

Oct 30th, '16, 04:21
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 30th, '16, 04:21

Good to know she's still around, as I can communicate a lot better in Cantonese than I can in Mandarin!

As for baozhong...I fill a gaiwan to 3/4 full when brewing it!

Nov 2nd, '16, 13:10

by debunix » Nov 2nd, '16, 13:10

Yesterday I enjoyed several hot and one cold-brewed session with the Kamairi Tamaryokucha, and this morning, started the day with Tsuen 'Aoi' sencha. Tasty greenness; but after this much green, something dark and roasty will be in order this afternoon.

Nov 5th, '16, 00:35

by Teaarch » Nov 5th, '16, 00:35

debunix wrote:Yesterday I enjoyed several hot and one cold-brewed session with the Kamairi Tamaryokucha, and this morning, started the day with Tsuen 'Aoi' sencha. Tasty greenness; but after this much green, something dark and roasty will be in order this afternoon.
I just noticed on O-cha's site that the Aoi is now listed as being from the oku-midori cultivar and yabukita, whereas before it was always listed as just yabukita. This is the reason I never tried it before, because I figured it probably wouldn't be too different from the San no Ma, and I always ordered that. However, in my experience with it, oku-midori is pretty distinct.

Can anyone who's had it in previous years confirm if it's different this year.

Nov 5th, '16, 10:41

by debunix » Nov 5th, '16, 10:41

I find it as excellent as always this year. I have never had the San no MA, so cannot comment on the similarities.

Nov 8th, '16, 00:14

by victoria3 » Nov 8th, '16, 00:14

This afternoon, I finished O-Cha's 2013 Yutaka Midori, needing an extra boost of focus to concentrate on understanding 18 Propositions plus all the Ballot measures we have to vote on here in California. Picking a president is easy :wink: . Hokujo's 250ml kyusu had just arrived in the mail via Alex, and it was a perfectly large size for the task at hand.

Nov 8th, '16, 00:56
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 8th, '16, 00:56

Drinking Kirin "Kitchen" green tea, a bottled green tea that has added lemongrass and peppermint. pretty pleasant drinking, although the tea underneath seems to be rough on my tummy.

The bottled tea is a Japanese import I picked up at a chain store here in Hong Kong that specializes in bringing in obscure products from all over. I had some Taiwanese turtle jelly candy and a fancy Japanese market instant ramen bowl that was surprisingly close to an actual bowl of ramen earlier today, as well as the fifth infusion of some pu erh maocha.

Nov 12th, '16, 00:55
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 12th, '16, 00:55

Drinking 2015 Kagoshima shincha I picked up at an Aeon tea concession in Okinawa. I thought this tea would be ready to toss after eighteen months at room temperature (stored airtight) but it is actually sweet, soft and pleasant--perhaps even nicer than when I last visited it! This soft French mid-Pyrenees spring water (Luchon) seems to go well with green teas.

Nov 12th, '16, 18:13
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 12th, '16, 18:13

jayinhk wrote: This soft French mid-Pyrenees spring water (Luchon) seems to go well with green teas.
Do you live next to an importer of Spring water? We know Hong Kong is a great multi-cultural international center, but I am amazed at how many different waters you try.is Boston does not have half of the waters discussed on Teachat anywhere in "the Hub". Cheers

Nov 12th, '16, 19:59
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 12th, '16, 19:59

ethan wrote:
jayinhk wrote: This soft French mid-Pyrenees spring water (Luchon) seems to go well with green teas.
Do you live next to an importer of Spring water? We know Hong Kong is a great multi-cultural international center, but I am amazed at how many different waters you try.is Boston does not have half of the waters discussed on Teachat anywhere in "the Hub". Cheers
No, just a well stocked supermarket! Hong Kong produces very little today, so we get some pretty obscure stuff here.

Nov 12th, '16, 20:52

by victoria3 » Nov 12th, '16, 20:52

O-Cha's bright green Chiran this morning. It is from Kagoshima's Yutaka Midori cultivar, medium steamed, from historic samuri village of Chiran in the middle of the Satsuma Peninsula.
This sencha has a very sweet fragrant bold aroma, that is mellow and smooth tasting. The 1st infusion is clear yellow, while the 2nd is a deep emerald green liquor. I really enjoy seeing these infusions side by side. Steeped in Tokoname red clay sujihiki kyusu similar to Fugetsu and Yamada III.
Attachments
O-Cha Chiran w Tokoname Sujihiki Kyusu Yamada III-Fugetsu L1000076_sm.jpg
O-Cha Chiran in Tokoname red clay sujihiki kyusu sim. Yamada III- Fugetsu
O-Cha Chiran w Tokoname Sujihiki Kyusu Yamada III-Fugetsu L1000076_sm.jpg (36.08 KiB) Viewed 2007 times

Nov 13th, '16, 12:34

by debunix » Nov 13th, '16, 12:34

Another day started with Tsuen Aoi sencha from O-Cha. Brewing this one up in Petr's shino kyusu, I made 5 infusions, approximately 90" 170°F, 45 seconds 150°F (didn't set kettle to reheat in between), 1 minute 190°F, and 2 at 2-3 minutes, 205°F. The next to the last infusion--the first at 205°F, was the best. Sweet, floral, almost fruity, yet very delicately green and vegetal, without the hint of brininess in the first infusions. So nice at every stage, but something clicked at the 4th and it was superb.

Image161112 Daily Tea _DEB9314 by D B, on Flickr

Nov 15th, '16, 11:25

by hopeofdawn » Nov 15th, '16, 11:25

Wow, beautiful pictures--definitely puts my ugly brown work thermos to shame! :mrgreen:

Nov 15th, '16, 23:40

by debunix » Nov 15th, '16, 23:40

My handle-less Stanley Thermos would feel right at home with yours

+ Post Reply