Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aug 14th, '15, 14:09

Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Pig Hog » Aug 14th, '15, 14:09

I'm enjoying freshly opened kyoubancha from maiko. I'm currently going through a phase of drinking more course and inexpensive teas. This is very nice and I shall be trying some of their karigane next time I order.

[img]//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/14 ... fdae1b.jpg[/img]

[img]//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/14 ... beab62.jpg[/img]

Photos are a bit dark - sorry!

Aug 17th, '15, 07:46

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Rui » Aug 17th, '15, 07:46

Teavivre's Nonpareil Cha Wang Tai Ping Hou Kui. Wow but these tea leaves are very long with a beautiful green colour.

Aug 17th, '15, 20:56

by sulkhogan » Aug 17th, '15, 20:56

Ippodo's Shoike-no-o sencha

Aug 18th, '15, 04:21

by chrl42 » Aug 18th, '15, 04:21

Xiu Ning Song Luo..this Beijing seller says this tea is plucked at the 2300m level....but the book and Baidu agree to say the Mt.Song Luo is 800m high at best.

The tea is, of course, bad...in China...a s**t happens...deal is to make that happen smaller.. :D

Aug 18th, '15, 04:38

by kyarazen » Aug 18th, '15, 04:38

chrl42 wrote:Xiu Ning Song Luo..this Beijing seller says this tea is plucked at the 2300m level....but the book and Baidu agree to say the Mt.Song Luo is 800m high at best.

The tea is, of course, bad...in China...a s**t happens...deal is to make that happen smaller.. :D

maybe the seller got confused with chi and gong chi 尺(feet)/公尺 (metre)

Aug 18th, '15, 04:47

by chrl42 » Aug 18th, '15, 04:47

kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:Xiu Ning Song Luo..this Beijing seller says this tea is plucked at the 2300m level....but the book and Baidu agree to say the Mt.Song Luo is 800m high at best.

maybe the seller got confused with chi and gong chi 尺(feet)/公尺 (metre)
The package says 来自松萝山2300米的向阳山坡..I don't think it was mistake!

Aug 18th, '15, 05:14

by KaiRong » Aug 18th, '15, 05:14

My package from Hibiki-an has just arrived today :) I'm quite amazed, actually, as I ordered it on 13th August. My first order from them contained a Gyokuro Konacha Super Premium and a Gyokuro Karigane Premium. I started with the Konacha, very sweeet and delicious tea, even though it was brewed in my old, for-office-usage kyusu.

Aug 18th, '15, 06:42

by Tead Off » Aug 18th, '15, 06:42

The last of my Ryuouen shincha inside of a Seong il onggi clay teapot. The kind of clay is an excellent pairing with sencha.
Onggi clay pot.jpg
Onggi clay pot.jpg (88.59 KiB) Viewed 1184 times

Aug 18th, '15, 11:33

by JRS22 » Aug 18th, '15, 11:33

O-cha iri matcha genmaicha in my junzo black kinsai pot. I have always been a big fan of genmaicha, and it just tastes better brewed in this pot.

Aug 18th, '15, 11:35

by JRS22 » Aug 18th, '15, 11:35

Tead Off wrote:The last of my Ryuouen shincha inside of a Seong il onggi clay teapot. The kind of clay is an excellent pairing with sencha.
Onggi clay pot.jpg
I don't remember that his pot being offered for sale. Maybe it was b fore I appreciated onggi. Beautiful.

Aug 18th, '15, 11:50

by debunix » Aug 18th, '15, 11:50

Another lovely morning session of brewing the Hou Village Feng Nie Jian from TeaHabitat. The lovely long leaves in my Petr Novak summer chawan are quite beautiful, adding wonderful visual appeal to the delicate flavor.

Need to remember to photograph this next time, to show how lovely it is.

Aug 18th, '15, 12:42

by Tead Off » Aug 18th, '15, 12:42

JRS22 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:The last of my Ryuouen shincha inside of a Seong il onggi clay teapot. The kind of clay is an excellent pairing with sencha.
Onggi clay pot.jpg
I don't remember that his pot being offered for sale. Maybe it was b fore I appreciated onggi. Beautiful.
#170 in Sold Teapots. My mobile's photo is way off in color. :D

Aug 18th, '15, 14:31
Vendor Member

by ethan » Aug 18th, '15, 14:31

The glaze on the outside of onggi clay keeps it waterproof but allows a good amount of air to still come through this extra-porous clay. Some day, if I am more settled, I hope to have a couple of jars of onggi to make my own kimchi, since the onggi jars from Korea are reportedly ideal & I am often disappointed in the kimchi I buy or what I like is very expensive.

What I don't understand is what effect onggi has on preparing tea; and, wonder whether the effect is due to more air coming through the walls of a teapot or the high iron content of the clay.

Regardless, that's a beautiful-looking pot, Teadoff.

Aug 18th, '15, 15:49

by JRS22 » Aug 18th, '15, 15:49

Tead Off wrote:
JRS22 wrote:
Onggi clay pot.jpg
#170 in Sold Teapots. My mobile's photo is way off in color. :D
Eventually there'll be a Seong-il onggi pot that calls to me. In the meantime I've got two of his onggi hobins. They're color coded - blue for green tea, and brown for yancha.

Aug 18th, '15, 22:46

by Tead Off » Aug 18th, '15, 22:46

ethan wrote:What I don't understand is what effect onggi has on preparing tea; and, wonder whether the effect is due to more air coming through the walls of a teapot or the high iron content of the clay.
Air is not going to come through the walls of the teapot. The shino glaze is sort of impermeable. However, the interior of the teapot is unglazed, exposing the tea to the clay. The clay which onggi is made of has a high iron content. It reacts with the tea. Also, this is not the same as an onggi pot which is used for kimchi and storing other foodstuffs. That clay has a thin dark glaze that allows some porosity. Seong il's onggi ware mixes in some local stoneware for higher firing and the use of different glazings. Buncheong wares are also porous because they use a slip and not hard glazing so the porosity, like Hagi, is high. The Koreans introduced all this into Japan several hundreds of years ago. Their influence should not be disregarded. Somehow, green tea benefits from all this. Abracadabra. :lol:

+ Post Reply