Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 31st, '15, 20:40

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by debunix » May 31st, '15, 20:40

Cold-brewed sparkling sencha. Mmm. So nice after hiking up and down the yard this afternoon. I'm planning on doing a lot of this through the summer--yesterday I bought several packages of inexpensive sencha just for cold-brewing. Very refreshing stuff. Thank you Biohorn for a great idea.

May 31st, '15, 21:08

by teagenesis » May 31st, '15, 21:08

Jasmine dragon pearls. Fresh, sweet, grassy, creamy, and that nice floral smell. The leaves help me relax as they slowly unfurl, and release their bouquet. They enjoy being warmed up, and then steeped several times.

Jun 1st, '15, 19:13
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 1st, '15, 19:13

Organic 'biluochun' from Jiangsu via Taobao. This is pretty good stuff, although there are a few discolored leaves. I was having disappointing results with my new Chinese greens yesterday. I tried aerating the boiled water by pouring it back and forth between my pitcher and cup. The woman who brewed greens for us in Guangzhou did this and she really knew what she was doing.

Success! Sweet malt, with light bean aroma and pleasant mouthfeel. I'll try brewing sencha with aerated water next.

Jun 3rd, '15, 03:33

by Tead Off » Jun 3rd, '15, 03:33

Matcha from Hosuien. Middle grade. This seller makes about 5 different grades. From Ise, not Uji. Very smooth and good tasting. It's a lot of fun making matcha again after a long time of not drinking it. My technique has suffered, though.

Jun 3rd, '15, 22:41
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 3rd, '15, 22:41

Guanxi chun mee (organic, supposedly). I have an all glass Philips kettle, and I've been watching the bubbles to dictate temperature. I haven't been letting my water boil all the way, with good results. This stuff was expensive compared to the Jiangsu stuff, but is quite a bit more delicate in the cup.

Jun 5th, '15, 01:19
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 5th, '15, 01:19

Cambodian green jasmine...on ice. Perfect for today. 90 degrees and humid!

Jun 5th, '15, 06:55

by kiwi303 » Jun 5th, '15, 06:55

BiLuoChun from Teasme.co.nz Earlier today I had LiuAnGuaPian from Aliexpress.

Jun 5th, '15, 11:48
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 5th, '15, 11:48

Cambodian green packaged for Chinese tourists...purchased at a market in Siem Reap. Terrible. Tastes like smoke. I only bought it because it was the only green that wasn't jasmine that I could find.

The cheaper local jasmine is much, much better. I may have to toss this stuff.

Jun 6th, '15, 13:15

by debunix » Jun 6th, '15, 13:15

Another lovely session with Gyoku-Hou from O-Cha, enjoyed from a Petr Novak shiboridashi and a bejeweled bonjiri yunomi. A gentle vegetal sweet start to the day.

Jun 6th, '15, 22:28

by kiwi303 » Jun 6th, '15, 22:28

Spring 2014 Handmade High Mountain Wild-growing Long Jing Premium Grade from JKTeashop

Quite nice. The name is a bit long and unweildy tho!

Jun 6th, '15, 22:37

by Manatoa » Jun 6th, '15, 22:37

2014 Miyabi from O-Cha bought on sale just recently and from a packet that has been open only 24 hours.

3g to 150ml water in a hagi hohin
about 160-165F through 3 steeps. The temperature given is the stable temperature in the pot as it brews, not the temperature of the water poured into the pot.

I suspect that this tea needs either more heat or more leaf. I'm following O-cha's parameters except for water that's about 10F cooler, though I don't know if they're specifying brewing temperature or initial water temperature. I think brewing temp is the most logical, but that ends up being a whole other thread...

I find the tea to be quite mild in flavour and aroma, while being very full in the mouth. The first steep has a weight and slickness in my mouth which reminds me of kombu dashi. I find it pleasantly clean and fresh with a bit of a honey-dew melon quality. It's green in flavour (colour too) but not terribly grassy.

I've tried doubling the leaf but that just made it feel heavy and dull.

Jun 7th, '15, 04:34

by Tead Off » Jun 7th, '15, 04:34

Matcha from Fukujuen. This has a thicker taste than the Hosuien, but the Hosuien seems smoother and sweeter. I imagine the Fukujuen could be used for Koicha as well. It is substantial in mouthfeel. It's so very subjective, isn't it?

Jun 8th, '15, 05:26

by Pig Hog » Jun 8th, '15, 05:26

Getting to the end of hibiki-an's matcha premium.

I'm looking for a mid-range matcha from somewhere that I've not tried before. Been buying from hibiki-an lately and I've previously bought o-cha's and yuuki-cha's matcha. Can anyone recommend something good that doesn't break the bank?

Jun 8th, '15, 06:09

by Tead Off » Jun 8th, '15, 06:09

Pig Hog wrote:Getting to the end of hibiki-an's matcha premium.

I'm looking for a mid-range matcha from somewhere that I've not tried before. Been buying from hibiki-an lately and I've previously bought o-cha's and yuuki-cha's matcha. Can anyone recommend something good that doesn't break the bank?
I'm liking the mid-range matcha from Hosuien. I bought this at Mitsukoshi, Ginza. Maybe they have an online service or do a google for Hosuien.

Jun 8th, '15, 07:59

by Pig Hog » Jun 8th, '15, 07:59

Tead Off wrote:
Pig Hog wrote:Getting to the end of hibiki-an's matcha premium.

I'm liking the mid-range matcha from Hosuien. I bought this at Mitsukoshi, Ginza. Maybe they have an online service or do a google for Hosuien.
Thanks. What matcha did you buy? I'm looking at the Chiyo No Midori, which is labelled as being for koicha but I'm sure it could make ousu too; or there's the Kiku No Shiro, which I presume is for usucha but it's not specified.

+ Post Reply