Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 30th, '16, 21:44

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by davidglass » Dec 30th, '16, 21:44

I have never tried Thes du Japon's gyokuros. How are they? Any recommendations, please?

Jan 5th, '17, 12:45

by pizzapotamus » Jan 5th, '17, 12:45

davidglass wrote:I have never tried Thes du Japon's gyokuros. How are they? Any recommendations, please?
Just so you've had someone respond to you, no I haven't :P I've have their two from Uji-Shirakawa and I plan on opening them soon but they're as yet undrunk. I can't find it now but I really did think I'd seen someone here not being very impressed with their mechanically harvested gyokuro, but then again for the price it might be an acceptable tea just not a good example of gyokuro.

Jan 6th, '17, 09:37

by davidglass » Jan 6th, '17, 09:37

pizzapotamus wrote:
davidglass wrote:I have never tried Thes du Japon's gyokuros. How are they? Any recommendations, please?
Just so you've had someone respond to you, no I haven't :P I've have their two from Uji-Shirakawa and I plan on opening them soon but they're as yet undrunk. I can't find it now but I really did think I'd seen someone here not being very impressed with their mechanically harvested gyokuro, but then again for the price it might be an acceptable tea just not a good example of gyokuro.
Thanks for the info. Let me know how you like their gyokuros after you taste them.

Jan 6th, '17, 17:14

by JRS22 » Jan 6th, '17, 17:14

I have the two mechanically harvested gyokuros and I'm not impressed. They're inexpensive enough that I don't rue the purchase. I'm fond of good karigane teas because I'm overly sensitive to bitterness. One of my favorites is Karigane Gyokuro Asa Giri from O-Cha, and I'd say that's comparable in price and tastes at least as good as the good from Thes-du-Japon.

On a related note, I just bought the Mogake Shiboridash Teapot by Hakusan Katayama III from O-Cha for $61.92. I was startled to see the identical shib on Thes-du-Japon site selling for $110.67!

Jan 6th, '17, 19:22

by davidglass » Jan 6th, '17, 19:22

JRS22 wrote:
I have the two mechanically harvested gyokuros and I'm not impressed. They're inexpensive enough that I don't rue the purchase. I'm fond of good karigane teas because I'm overly sensitive to bitterness. One of my favorites is Karigane Gyokuro Asa Giri from O-Cha, and I'd say that's comparable in price and tastes at least as good as the good from Thes-du-Japon.

On a related note, I just bought the Mogake Shiboridash Teapot by Hakusan Katayama III from O-Cha for $61.92. I was startled to see the identical shib on Thes-du-Japon site selling for $110.67!
Thanks for the info. Where can I find some fabulous gyokuro?

Jan 6th, '17, 20:20

by victoria3 » Jan 6th, '17, 20:20

I can recommend Ippodo´s Tenka-ichi or Ippoen Gyokuro lots of umami.

Jan 6th, '17, 20:26

by victoria3 » Jan 6th, '17, 20:26

Strange, I just bought Ippodo´s Ippoen Gyokuro in their NYC shop, but now I see their online prices are almost 1\2 the NYC prices!

Jan 6th, '17, 21:36

by Tead Off » Jan 6th, '17, 21:36

davidglass wrote:
JRS22 wrote:

Thanks for the info. Where can I find some fabulous gyokuro?
Hojo's Asahina Gyokuro.

Jan 7th, '17, 08:49

by JRS22 » Jan 7th, '17, 08:49

Hobo never posts harvest year. Do you question him about that before buying tea the Asahina?

Jan 7th, '17, 10:08

by Tead Off » Jan 7th, '17, 10:08

JRS22 wrote:Hobo never posts harvest year. Do you question him about that before buying tea the Asahina?
Yes. I'm pretty sure he said 2016, but I could be wrong. I'm not wrong about the tea, though. :D

Jan 7th, '17, 15:56

by NateHevens » Jan 7th, '17, 15:56

It's snowing outside, and I've been told that work is closing early, so I'm not going it. Seems like a good day for some nice hot green tea...

Jan 8th, '17, 15:50

by PAQF » Jan 8th, '17, 15:50

I have tried 2016 : (i) Traditional gyokuro from Hoshino,Yamakai cultivar and (ii) Gyokuro from Uji-Tawara,Gokô cultivar. They were not the tastier gyokuros I drank last year but they were decent. For both of them I followed the steeping instruction 5 g/ 60ml/ 50 ºC/ 90 s. I found the one from Uji-Tawara was a bit weak for my taste, but the gyokuro from Hoshino was quite tasty in terms of umami ans sweetness.

Jan 11th, '17, 21:47

by Ferg » Jan 11th, '17, 21:47

Well, not quite currently drinking, but I meant to post this pic up a few days back on our Old Christmas Day when I had another session with the AOI and Gisui. Inspired to share with Pizza's nice pictures on Ode to Kyusu thread!

The tea tasted smoother after sitting in the Sakura bark caddy for a few days rather than pulling directly from the fridge. However, I recall a later steeping not tasting so great, perhaps because the tea is from the '16 shincha season and it's going bad quickly after exposure to oxygen. I haven't had the opportunity or time available to have another session since as I've been back in the swing of work. Going to attempt to tomorrow morning. I anticipate the tea worsening the longer I let it sit in caddy, but I'll finish it up nonetheless...however long that may take. :wink:

Pardon the lighting of picture. It was taken with my iPhone 4 (pre-Siri). I took the shot late that night, but like how it turned out personally. The tea appears neon lime-green. It was a late evening session and I surprisingly had no difficulty falling and staying asleep.

Jan 12th, '17, 18:39

by victoria3 » Jan 12th, '17, 18:39

Nice to see your pot in action Ferg. I leave my sencha /sincha /gyokuros in their original pouches to minimize oxygen degrading the fine green leaves, carefully removing air pockets and re-sealing with bag clips. Oolongs I do put a two week portion in canisters though, they seem to perform better 'waking up' in the canister. I have also noticed that older unopened sencha/sincha teas degrade much faster once opened and need to be finished quickly.

This morning I finally finished Maiko's Sincha Sencha Kinari from 2013. It was still very nice; smooth, vegetal, sweet umami, warm and rich. Steeped in my new Shimizu Ken Nosaka Back Handle Kyusu from Ferg. Thank You, great form and clay, pours perfectly too

Jan 13th, '17, 06:02

by Noonie » Jan 13th, '17, 06:02

victoria3 wrote:Nice to see your pot in action Ferg. I leave my sencha /sincha /gyokuros in their original pouches to minimize oxygen degrading the fine green leaves, carefully removing air pockets and re-sealing with bag clips. Oolongs I do put a two week portion in canisters though, they seem to perform better 'waking up' in the canister. I have also noticed that older unopened sencha/sincha teas degrade much faster once opened and need to be finished quickly.

This morning I finally finished Maiko's Sincha Sencha Kinari from 2013. It was still very nice; smooth, vegetal, sweet umami, warm and rich. Steeped in my new Shimizu Ken Nosaka Back Handle Kyusu from Ferg. Thank You, great form and clay, pours perfectly too Image
I'm surprised that a Sencha from 2013 is still good. How did you store this while unopened?

+ Post Reply