Preferential steam of a new sencha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

The next new sencha you try, would you prefer it to be asamushi, chumushi, fukamushi, ultra fukamushi? As a bonus, have you ever tried Benifuki? Would you want to try it? 2 votes.

Asamushi/light steamed
32%
Chumushi/mid steamed
8%
Fukamushi/deep steamed
17%
Ultra fukamushi/ultra deep steamed
7%
Bonus, never tried it, but would!
23%
Bonus, never tried it, maybe would
8%
Bonus, never tried it and would not
1%
Bonus, tried it, but would retry it
1%
Bonus, tried it
1%
Bonus, other
1%

Total votes: 84

Apr 20th, '11, 16:16

Re: Preferential steam of a new sencha?

by edkrueger » Apr 20th, '11, 16:16

I don't really like sweet pond water, so I'll stick with asamushi. I like umami, but unlike EE, I associate it more with asamushi. As for benefuki, I see it as a pretty silly health product and am not too interested trying it. The benefuki kocha I have had was alright.

Apr 20th, '11, 18:13

by brlarson » Apr 20th, '11, 18:13

edkrueger wrote:... As for benefuki, I see it as a pretty silly health product and am not too interested trying it...
I will always favor a natural remedy over a prescription. What I didn't mention before about Maiko's benifuki is that I feel its effects a minute or two after drinking it -- much faster than a prescription -- but then it starts to wear off after about four hours. The relatively short duration hasn't been a problem though. On bad days during hay fever season I might have two, or on very rare occasions, three envelopes.

But you're right, it isn't for everyone.

Apr 20th, '11, 19:02

by edkrueger » Apr 20th, '11, 19:02

brlarson wrote:
edkrueger wrote:... As for benefuki, I see it as a pretty silly health product and am not too interested trying it...
I will always favor a natural remedy over a prescription. What I didn't mention before about Maiko's benifuki is that I feel its effects a minute or two after drinking it -- much faster than a prescription -- but then it starts to wear off after about four hours. The relatively short duration hasn't been a problem though. On bad days during hay fever season I might have two, or on very rare occasions, three envelopes.

Yes, the placebo effect works great. My allergies get better with matcha, probably placebo effect too. I have some idea that the caffeine helps.

Apr 20th, '11, 20:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 20th, '11, 20:39

edkrueger wrote:
brlarson wrote:

Yes, the placebo effect works great. My allergies get better with matcha, probably placebo effect too. I have some idea that the caffeine helps.
Natural remedy does not automatically equal placebo. Granted there are certainly such incidences, but I do not think brlarson is indicating he is experiencing some kind of placebo effect in this case.

Green benifuki has been found to contain certain compounds in higher concentrations that may benefit allergy sufferers.

Apr 20th, '11, 20:43

by edkrueger » Apr 20th, '11, 20:43

Chip wrote: but I do not think brlarson is indicating he is experiencing some kind of placebo effect in this case.
No, but I am.

Apr 20th, '11, 21:24

by Chip » Apr 20th, '11, 21:24

edkrueger wrote:
Chip wrote: but I do not think brlarson is indicating he is experiencing some kind of placebo effect in this case.
No, but I am.
I know. Try not to be so close minded and condescending. :idea:

Who would have thought that the use of a mold would have been part of possibly the biggest breakthrough in medical science? Are there no more breakthroughs to be found?

Apr 20th, '11, 22:32

by JRS22 » Apr 20th, '11, 22:32

I chose chumushi because that's what I'm drinking right now and I love it.

And of course I'm open to trying a new tea.

Especially if Chip recommends trying it....

Apr 21st, '11, 11:38

by edkrueger » Apr 21st, '11, 11:38

Chip wrote: I know. Try not to be so close minded and condescending. :idea:
Who would have thought that the use of a mold would have been part of possibly the biggest breakthrough in medical science? Are there no more breakthroughs to be found?
Try not to be open minded and condescending. :idea:
I thought I was rather nice about the placebo effect, its well documented and does work. The mold thing is a non-sequitur. Penicillin was immediately found to be successful with scientific testing, while magic cures like benefuki lots of "research" has been done and nobody has found a significant effect.

Apr 21st, '11, 13:38

by Chip » Apr 21st, '11, 13:38

JRS22 wrote:I chose chumushi because that's what I'm drinking right now and I love it.

And of course I'm open to trying a new tea.

Especially if Chip recommends trying it....
:mrgreen: Thank you kindly! :mrgreen:

So, tried Benifuki from Den's yesterday, actually expecting the worst tasting green tea imaginable. but it was not bad at all really. I won't be craving this tea, but it is OK from a taste standpoint.

I am not an allergy sufferer, so I cannot speak to this point. It would be a great alternative to medicine if it does benefit the sufferer. An interesting read here: http://www.denstea.com/index.php?main_p ... th=268_539

As mentioned above, Benifuki is a varietal of true tea that when processed as a green tea is very high in methyl catechin which may help sufferers of hay fever/allergies.

Apr 21st, '11, 13:45

by Chip » Apr 21st, '11, 13:45

And now the ulterior motive revealed! :mrgreen:

I know one sampling will not prove anything, however for those who stated they would want to try it, I will throw your names in a hat for a free single-serving sample pouch or two from Den's.

Also, for those who stated eagerness to try a new fukamushi, I have a limited amount of Maromi, also from Den's to share. http://www.denstea.com/index.php?main_p ... ath=96_537 This is a new offering that is steamed even longer than regular fukumushi. First trials revealed an interesting flavor profile.

You can still throw your name in the hat(s).

Apr 21st, '11, 13:50

by laura99 » Apr 21st, '11, 13:50

I choose Asamushi. Still looking over the Shincha offerings to decide what to try. Last year I bought only fukamushi (at the time I did not even know what it meant!). So going to change that up a bit this year.

Apr 21st, '11, 14:22

by tortoise » Apr 21st, '11, 14:22

Chip wrote:And now the ulterior motive revealed! :mrgreen:

I know one sampling will not prove anything, however for those who stated they would want to try it, I will throw your names in a hat for a free single-serving sample pouch or two from Den's.

Also, for those who stated eagerness to try a new fukamushi, I have a limited amount of Maromi, also from Den's to share. http://www.denstea.com/index.php?main_p ... ath=96_537 This is a new offering that is steamed even longer than regular fukumushi. First trials revealed an interesting flavor profile.

You can still throw your name in the hat(s).
Place my name in hat please. My allergies seem to be over this spring, but I'm always game for new stuff. (Except the brains of live monkeys)

Apr 21st, '11, 16:39

by edkrueger » Apr 21st, '11, 16:39

tortoise wrote:Except the brains of live monkeys
I have heard the brains of dead monkeys taste good fried. Not sure about the live ones.

Apr 21st, '11, 17:47

by gargoylekitty » Apr 21st, '11, 17:47

All of the shincha I've ordered so far and am looking to order is asamushi. I like fuka on occasion and sometimes buy it out of curiosity, have already tried Den's Maromi that way, though greatly prefer the asa!

As for benifuki? I've never had it, though am definitely interested in trying it.

Apr 22nd, '11, 00:18

by JRS22 » Apr 22nd, '11, 00:18

It seems to me that since hayfever is not a degenerative disease, if something eliminates the symptoms then it's done the job, even if it did it by making me think it was doing it when it was really me! So Chip, I hope my name is in the hat for the benefuki sample.

+ Post Reply