EOT 2011 Cakes

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 6th, '11, 18:22

Re: EOT 2011 Cakes

by TokyoB » Jun 6th, '11, 18:22

debunix wrote:Still waiting for the cakes to arrive.
Since mine came FedEx this time I got it in 2 days instead of what has become several weeks for First Class from the UK to the east coast.

Jun 6th, '11, 18:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jun 6th, '11, 18:51

Yes, mine came FedEx as well, and I got it much quicker (few days), and most importantly -- unmolested.

I had a guest with me most of the weekend, so I wasn't able to try samples as much as I wanted. So far I've only tangoed with the Mansai. I'll finish off a few infusion off that tonight and move on to another...

Jun 6th, '11, 19:05

by whatsinaname » Jun 6th, '11, 19:05

FedEx FTW. Three days!

Jun 6th, '11, 20:31

by Drax » Jun 6th, '11, 20:31

TokyoB wrote:My first experience with the Nannuo was better. I will try that again soon. I still have samples of the Mansai and Bulang to try again.

Anyone else?
I started with the Nannuo tonight.

Maybe it's because I just finished up with the Mansai, but these two seem very similar -- they both have the typical green pungent sheng quality; the Mansai seems more smoky/savory than the Nannuo, and the Nannuo might be stronger than the Mansai on the greenness...

Jun 7th, '11, 11:01

by David R. » Jun 7th, '11, 11:01

I just received my order : Mannuo, Nannuo and Yiwu. The cakes smell incredible.

I rapidly threw 3g of the Mannuo in a small gaiwan. The result was beyond my expectations. Surely one of the best young puerh I've had, granted I am not an expert. Apricot and sugar. Really pure. Small astringency which helps prolonging the aftertaste.

I can understand why this cake went out of stock quickly. Such quality at this price looks like a bargain to me.

Jun 7th, '11, 22:08

by TokyoB » Jun 7th, '11, 22:08

I had the Nannuo today. I found it more interesting with a floral undertone/ huigan. It was a bit more bitter and less floral than some Nannuo I've had. It may age better. I wonder if I got a bad sample of the Mannuo since everyone else has such a different reaction. Or, as I said, I may just experience it differently.

I tried the Bangwai again immediately after the Nannuo. It seemed to have no bitterness and was noticeably more savory/umami tasting with just a hint of smoke although I never noticed that before.

Jun 8th, '11, 07:29

by Drax » Jun 8th, '11, 07:29

I "finished" up with the Nannuo last night (that is, I got to infusion 7 or 8, still at 40 second steeps, and decided to move on) and started with the Mannuo.

The Mannuo seemed a bit thicker than the Nannuo, but I'm reminded of the expression "we have more in common than we do differences"... :D

I do think I like the Mannuo over the Nannuo, but I liked the Mansai for its XiaGuanness. Though I have a sneaky suspicion the Bulang will trump them all.

When I do a second pass with all the samples, I'll have to brew in a gaiwan as opposed to a yixing pot like I'm doing this first pass...

Jun 9th, '11, 13:43

by TokyoB » Jun 9th, '11, 13:43

Ok. I'm a bit embarassed to say there may have been some operator error in my prior tastings. After comparing notes with another TC'er I realize I was using rather long steep times (20 sec, 15, 20+, 20+, 30, etc.) and thus getting a rather bitter and not very subtle cup. I just retried the Nannuo and it is rather different, and of course better, with steep times of 3, 5, 5, etc. I had been using shorter steep times on new sheng but then longer steep times on older sheng and I didn't move back to shorter times for these. Will continue to work through these. Have yet to really try the 2011 Bulang.

Jun 9th, '11, 17:31

by Drax » Jun 9th, '11, 17:31

Ooh, I can see why the tea might have been a bit strong! But I'm glad you've been able to re-visit at least one of the earlier ones that you tried.

After a 30 second rinse, my steeps have been usually around 10/10/10/15/20/25/30... I've been stopping ~7-8, even though they could clearly keep going well past 12.

I'm about to start brewing the Bulang. This tea is usually exceptionally strong. EoT suggests that you can brew it using half of the amount of leaf that you normally do. I think I'll just be dropping my times to a lot of 5s initially... :D

Jun 12th, '11, 13:48

by apache » Jun 12th, '11, 13:48

To 'save' postage and shipping cost, I went to EoT HQs in Falmouth to collect my 2011 cakes a few days ago. The road to Falmouth is very hilly, narrow and windy which makes driving 'interesting' and bear that in mind the UK is a very small island by the US standard, any trip which is longer than 100 miles is a long way, but it's worth the effort. Here are some pictures around EoT HQs:

Church Street where EoT HQs are. If you look very carefully, you might just about able to see EoT HQs.

Another view of Church Street.

The followings are other scenes from Falmouth:

I met the one and only one Mr Nada and his wife. It was inspiring to see that both of them are very dedicated to tea and promoting tea culture to others.

While I was inside the Tea House, there was constant stream of local patrons coming in for tea sessions. The atmosphere inside the Tea House is very serene and good for one to relax and enjoy the qi from drinking tea.

We had a long session of tea drinking. The first tea he served was the most talked about 2011 Mannuo and now I can see why this cake sold out so quickly. I think I need to say no more about this new pu as I would just repeat what been reported.

Then we move on to some even more interesting teas. It was very generous of Nada to serve me 70's Tong Qing Hao and 60's Guang Yun Gong. I have only one word for the GYG, it's GORGEOUS. One sip of GYG, I was time transported back many years ago to my earliest memory about drinking tea with dim sum. All my boxes I have looking for a good pu been ticked. I don't know what 50's Red Mark is like, but that GYG certain the best I ever tasted.

It was an unforgettable experience. If any of you come to the UK for holiday (I know it's cold, wet and damp, but for ageing pu ...), I would highly recommend to pay a visit to EoT HQs.

Jun 14th, '11, 08:27

by Erhu » Jun 14th, '11, 08:27

Apache,

Thanks for sharing a bit of your visit & posting images.

I liked your perceptive description of "the Tea House is very serene and good for one to relax and enjoy the qi from drinking tea."
Sounds perfect.

One day I may get the chance to visit.

And then home with some lovely tea......a good day!

M

Jun 14th, '11, 18:44

by apache » Jun 14th, '11, 18:44

Erhu,
Thanks for the comments.
Erhu wrote:
One day I may get the chance to visit.

And then home with some lovely tea......a good day!

M
I certainly enjoyed my visit.

Now, have anyone tried the 2011 Bulang, so far I only saw two reviews. I'm a bit 'scare' to try it before gives it some time to mellow, as it seems the tea is violently strong right at the moment and even hardened tea drinker Hobbs couldn't take it! I imagine it would be like chewing aspirin.

Jun 14th, '11, 20:27

by Drax » Jun 14th, '11, 20:27

I tried the Bulang a couple of days ago, and it was quite good. But then again, I like Bulang and strong teas a lot.

Normally I would brew Bulang at "normal" (well, "normal" for other teas) strength, but this one I lightened up on the leaf to about 70% of normal, and it was very nice all the way through.

Jun 14th, '11, 20:49

by shah82 » Jun 14th, '11, 20:49

The only point in drinking any right now is to verify that you've got the goods. It won't be truly good for awhile.

Jun 15th, '11, 05:59

by Erhu » Jun 15th, '11, 05:59

Agreed Shah82...for the Bulang anyway...

I've tried samples from the Bulang 2009 & 2010...it was a little bit of Tea S&M...but interesting and an education.

I cannot push to one of the new cakes right at the moment - have some samples - but not the Bulang - as you say unless buying to put away till later - it does not encourage me to try it at present.

All other EoT cakes I enjoy drinking now.

Looking forward to the shu!

+ Post Reply