Real or Fake Dayi? Pros and Cons of collecting Dayi?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 19th, '11, 09:26

Re: Real or Fake Dayi?

by auhckw » Jul 19th, '11, 09:26

gingkoseto wrote: Besides, he critiqued a lot on big factories such as Dayi, which is often cruelly out-straight. I think it (even if 70% true) really helped to learn and think more about big factories. But I can imagine a lot of people who benefit from big factories (either selling it or in other ways) are very mad at him.
He needs to critique so that he can sell his tea. Many tea sellers here who doesn't carry big factories product would very often critic also. I hear that very often.

-Don't buy Dayi because it is plantation tea.
-Don't buy Dayi because it is mass production.
-Don't buy Dayi because it is expensive.
-Don't buy Dayi because there is no more quality.
-Don't buy Dayi because they use fertilizers and pesticides.
-Don't buy Dayi because the taste is not good.
-Don't buy Dayi because they all taste the same.
-Don't buy Dayi because there are so many people having it.
-Don't buy Dayi because it no longer traditional processed.
-Don't buy Dayi because Dayi is the devil.

How often would you see a Dayi seller/drinker/collector critic other brands in such manner... Poor Dayi... haha

I would agree there are plenty good to drink tea out there which is not big factories. I have tasted a few good new Pu non branded priced at MYR10 (USD3.3) to MYR15 (USD5) which tasted superb and is very much enjoyable. I would buy some to drink, but not to collect... I pretty much explained why in my previous posts.

Jul 19th, '11, 10:11

by MarshalN » Jul 19th, '11, 10:11

auhckw wrote:
MarshalN wrote:
auhckw wrote:
MarshalN wrote:Hmm, clearly there's a disconnect between Malaysia prices and China prices both new and old. How much is a current year 7542 there?
y2011 7542 when new/pre-order MYR40++
y2011 7542 today MYR65 (just few months)

y2009 7542 when new/pre-order MYR18
y2009 7542 today MYR70
Those 2009 prices today are quite high
That price is the shop's list price. They will normally give discount (10% to 30%) but I agree that it is no longer cheap. Which is why it is not so good deal to buy slightly old Dayi.

The shop said they have no choice but to increase the 2009 cause it cannot be cheaper than 2011 price. So they increased the 2009 to slightly more expensive than 2011. Few of their old Dayi stocks have to increase the price because of the same reason. I think this is one of the Dayi's strategy of increasing older Dayi prices.

Another example:
y2010 Yiwu is MYR95
y2011 Yiwu is MYR160

When y2011 price came out, automatically y2010 Yiwu went out of stock.
I believe currently the market price for the 09 7542 is lower than new 7542, crazy, but true.

Jul 19th, '11, 10:13

by MarshalN » Jul 19th, '11, 10:13

auhckw wrote: How often would you see a Dayi seller/drinker/collector critic other brands in such manner... Poor Dayi... haha
I've heard plenty of Dayi sellers criticizing non-Dayi teas -- basically how you don't know if they're any good, you don't know what goes in them, how Dayi blending is the only way puerh will age well, etc etc.

It goes both ways.

Jul 19th, '11, 13:23
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jul 19th, '11, 13:23

auhckw wrote:
gingkoseto wrote: Besides, he critiqued a lot on big factories such as Dayi, which is often cruelly out-straight. I think it (even if 70% true) really helped to learn and think more about big factories. But I can imagine a lot of people who benefit from big factories (either selling it or in other ways) are very mad at him.
He needs to critique so that he can sell his tea.
Well, if this conclusion is not based on understanding of Shi Kunmu's peronality or his tea, then I would say the conclusion bears great risk of being wrong.

auhckw wrote:How often would you see a Dayi seller/drinker/collector critic other brands in such manner... Poor Dayi... haha
Too often, really. Probably even more often in China than in Malaysia.
auhckw wrote: I would agree there are plenty good to drink tea out there which is not big factories. I have tasted a few good new Pu non branded priced at MYR10 (USD3.3) to MYR15 (USD5) which tasted superb and is very much enjoyable. I would buy some to drink, but not to collect... I pretty much explained why in my previous posts.
I think when people say small factory products way better than Dayi, they refer to the boutique products 10 times of this price level, or higher.

Also there are numerous small factory products that are slightly better than Dayi but less expensive, or slightly more expensive than Dayi but a lot better.

And of course there are numerous small factory products that are not as good as Dayi in terms of either price or quality. So good or bad is always relative. Anything can be "not good enough". :mrgreen:

Jul 19th, '11, 13:53

by bearsbearsbears » Jul 19th, '11, 13:53

I was ignoring this thread thinking it was just a discussion of what signs indicate a Dayi tea was real/fake. Reading through the comments today, you all have made a much more interesting conversation!

I wanted to introduce some background about collectibles markets in general. I think Shah82 alluded to most of these points, but I thought the Wiki article on "Collecting" recaps them concisely:
Wikipedia wrote:While some individuals purchased contemporary collectibles to enjoy and use, many purchased them as investments. Speculative secondary markets developed for many of these pieces. Because so many people bought for investment purposes, duplicates are common. And although many collectibles were labeled as "limited editions," the actual number of items produced was very large. The result of this is that there is very little demand for many (but not all) items produced during this time period, which means their secondary market values are often low.
There is no secondary market for an item unless someone is willing to buy it, and an object's value is whatever the buyer is willing to pay for it.
Some further analysis from me based on the above, that to be collectible and hold value in a collectibles market, items must me scarce and in demand in the secondary market. That is, high prices in the primary market (retail stores) in Malaysia and Taiwan are not, by themselves, good indicators that Dayi tea is appreciating in value.

To say this is a healthy secondary market, we would have to know at what prices the collectors are selling Dayi teas to those stores, assuming the stores aren't selling primarily from their own stock. Considering most viable businesses put 50% to 400% markup on items, if that 2009 Dayi 7542 is selling for 70 ringgit, the store paid as little as the original price (18) and as much as 46 ringgit per cake, probably more like 35. That's 95% appreciation before subtracting other costs like rent on the storage space, utilities, climate control capital costs, shipping, and tax. My guess is that, for now, all those costs are low enough in Malaysia that perhaps some large collectors could turn a good profit. In the US, a profit of approximately $240 per jian isn't enough to merit two years' worth of those costs.
The College Investor wrote:Also, collectible markets are very dependent on short-term trends and individual tastes...As a result, the collectible market should be viewed as extremely high risk...it is usually only proven works that hold their value. By this, I mean collectibles that have a market, a pedigree, and a link to someone famous.
Given the above, a case could be made either for or against collecting Dayi, if you're going to collect pu'er hoping to turn a profit. On the one hand, Dayi is the standard famous brand, the Wedgwood of pu'er. On the other hand, they produce millions of cakes annually, making it more like the Fiestaware of teas: pretty, well made, but so abundant the cost in the secondary market is driven by supply rather than demand.

This is why the super limited edition Dayi stuff gets the speculator treatment: these cakes (dragon pole, bok choy banzhang, golden yada yada yada) are some of the few that actually are limited in quantity and availability and might be hard to find in the future. Unfortunately for profit-minded collectors, Dayi sometimes makes the mistake of reissuing these cakes in subsequent years: the original productions of 0622 and V93 would be worth a lot more if they had never been produced again. This also means it's a dangerous guessing game regarding which Dayi recipes will actually remain one-off collectibles and which will be another product line for years to come.

The result of this has been amusing. I received a sample from an Asian collector of a 7542 with a specific batch number that is being promoted as much better than the others, and thus collectible. Even with new cakes, the X01 batch is now collectible for the sake of collecting, commanding more demand because of the assumption that the first released batch contained the best leaves (spring leaves or a better blend of raw material from the previous year).

At the end of a tea cake life cycle, someone has to purchase the cake and drink it. Tea drinkers can take one month to several years to fully consume a cake, and there are without exaggeration millions upon millions of pu'er cakes sitting around aging with hundreds of thousands produced each season of each year--probably millions of Dayi cakes in existance, with a relatively small number of people interested in drinking pu'er tea cakes.

Teas like Hong Yin will always hold some value, as the supply actually is very, very limited, but I don't hold the same hopes for 2009 7542.

Hence, why collectors and retailers drip the 80s, 90s, and early 00s cakes onto the market. They know the supply of these teas still outpaces demand, despite cries of "mai yige, shao yige" (sell one, lose one). This is also why Dayi has moved outside tea media and now advertises in mainstream media; demand has to increase to keep the big collectors buying, which is the bulk of their profit. But, someday, these collectors will flood the market, either with large collections cashing out or simply via the truth that too many collections releasing tea in "little drips" is the equivalent of a rainstorm.
The College Investor wrote:The bottom line is that you shouldn’t consider your collection an investment. If you do collect, do so because you love the stuff you are collecting, not because you hope it will make you rich. Collectibles as an investment are very risky. Collectibles as enjoyment are fun.
I love my collection, and while I take pleasure in seeing current prices for cakes I own, I don't plan on it making me rich. Auhckw clearly enjoys his hobby, and I doubt he will regret it if it turns out he's not rich from Dayi resale, as I don't think he buys on that scale--yet! :mrgreen:

I would like to say I wish luck upon those who are hoping so, but my self-interest hopes the big collectors lose their shirts in the coming years so I can pick up good aged tea on the cheap.

Jul 19th, '11, 14:03

by auhckw » Jul 19th, '11, 14:03

gingkoseto wrote: Well, if this conclusion is not based on understanding of Shi Kunmu's peronality or his tea, then I would say the conclusion bears great risk of being wrong.
I am not referring to Shi Kunmu but some (most) tea sellers I met that doesn't carry big factory products. What I quoted 'Don't buy Dayi...' above echoes in my ears... :cry:

While introducing their tea, somehow they will sure attack. I know biz is tough and they have to compete against an established brand, so bad mouth is the way they choose to go. If I were to do my work this way, it will be kind of sad.
gingkoseto wrote: Too often, really. Probably even more often in China than in Malaysia.
Maybe this doesn't happen much in Malaysia... or at least to the 6 Dayi sellers I know off. I have not heard them questioning me/ppl about why drink other brands. These Dayi sellers don't bad mouth other brands but their common sales pitch will normally move along the line where 'price appreciation of the tea is good', 'this recipe is hot in china'. They will push you to buy carton and take it as investments which I usually don't bother.

So which tea shops emphasize more on tea appreciation? From what I observe, non Dayi tea shop that does custom pressing for themselves would do a better job. Put aside the bad mouth, they will normally explain about their tea, where they got it, the processing methods, how to enjoy the tea, the stories about them going to China to produce it, blah blah blah. They have to work harder to sell :)

Jul 19th, '11, 14:14

by auhckw » Jul 19th, '11, 14:14

bearsbearsbears wrote:I love my collection, and while I take pleasure in seeing current prices for cakes I own, I don't plan on it making me rich. Auhckw clearly enjoys his hobby, and I doubt he will regret it if it turns out he's not rich from Dayi resale, as I don't think he buys on that scale--yet! :mrgreen:

I would like to say I wish luck upon those who are hoping so, but my self-interest hopes the big collectors lose their shirts in the coming years so I can pick up good aged tea on the cheap.
Wow... long and good post with the quotes. Informative and a good remind of what 'Collection' / 'Hobby' should stand.

I don't treat my Pu collection as an investment and I don't buy with the motive to resell. So there is no pressure for me whether the price goes up/down. The feeling of standing in front of my shelf looking at my Pu makes me feel happy :)

Jul 19th, '11, 14:27
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jul 19th, '11, 14:27

Bears, very good point about collector's market! The other day I had some conversation about market value of art works. Now thinking about it, puerh shares some common market features as paintings and photographs in this sense :D

Auhckw, I got an impression that Dayi sellers in Malaysia are very influential, not that there is anything bad about it. :mrgreen:

When you compare a good Dayi seller with a bad non-Dayi seller, it seems to me the comparison is between good and bad sellers, no matter what each of them sells. Currently a lot of non-Dayi puerh (along with Dayi puerh) is exported from China to Malaysia annually. So I think there has got to be a lot of non-Dayi sellers in Malaysia who don't sell their tea based on bad-mouthing Dayi.

Jul 19th, '11, 14:29

by bearsbearsbears » Jul 19th, '11, 14:29

auhckw wrote:The feeling of standing in front of my shelf looking at my Pu makes me feel happy :)
+1
Few scents bring such joy as walking into the room with my pu'er and noting how it smells just that more aged than the last time I walked in. :wink:

Jul 19th, '11, 15:59

by apache » Jul 19th, '11, 15:59

gingkoseto wrote:
apache wrote:
gingkoseto wrote: Shi Kunmu is a controversial figure nowadays. I don't agree with all he said, but respect his knowledge in many aspects. Last time I read about him, he is very fond of Malaysia storage of puerh.
Me really interested, I know nothing about this, could you say more or point to other sources?
I can't find any English language discussion about him. But for a simplified comparison, Shi Kunmu is somewhat similar to what MarchalN mentioned in his recent blog (http://www.marshaln.com/2011/07/the-king-of-pots/) that tea sellers being tea mentors and have a lot of very loyal students (who are tea drinkers/buyers). But I guess Shi Kunmu is more controversial than most other tea sellers because he has a lot of supernatural theories about tea, which I, like many other people, don't like.

Besides, he critiqued a lot on big factories such as Dayi, which is often cruelly out-straight. I think it (even if 70% true) really helped to learn and think more about big factories. But I can imagine a lot of people who benefit from big factories (either selling it or in other ways) are very mad at him.
Thanks for the reply, I think I need to do some home work and digging on the net about Shi Kunmu. I sampled a couple of his recent works, but I still can't make up my mind on his cakes. I think his style seems to be very similar to Douji, I don't mean the wrapping paper, but taste profile.

Also thank for pointing out MarshalN's post, it was a good post. If wasn't pointed out by you, very likely I would miss it, as I normally only read his writing about tea.

Jul 19th, '11, 16:09

by apache » Jul 19th, '11, 16:09

bearsbearsbears wrote:I was ignoring this thread thinking it was just a discussion of what signs indicate a Dayi tea was real/fake. Reading through the comments today, you all have made a much more interesting conversation!

I wanted to introduce some background about collectibles markets in general. I think Shah82 alluded to most of these points, but I thought the Wiki article on "Collecting" recaps them concisely: ...

I always think your day job is either something to do with finance or analyzing equity market or something along this line.

A very good post, I certainly learn something from it.

Jul 19th, '11, 22:44

Re: Real or Fake Dayi? Pros and Cons of collecting Dayi?

by sp1key » Jul 19th, '11, 22:44

bears, you have almost written a book! good analysis of a simple word, collectible.

If I may add a little, the problem with new dayi at the moment is non-consumption.

Collectors/merchants are selling/switching hands for profit and this keeps going while virtually none are being consumed so supply in the market will virtually be the same 10yrs down the road. This relates to scarcity and demand.

eg.I've been to shops (china) recently who are reluctant to sell any 2011 dayi yiwu in 'cakes', some shops offer tongs others will only sell in box. They're not even willing to open a cake just for sampling purposes but of course theres always a store or two you frequent and are more passionate about tea that they do share a drink. However this is the case with most random tea shops.

On the other hand, 80s/90s/early 00s tea are already being consumed on a frequent basis by a large tea population so quantities are dropping as we speak, this drop in supply offers a support for price level while price increases.

From a drinking point of view, if you take price into consideration there are often better options (even non-plantation) than new dayi that unless if one enjoys young plantation tea which is nothing wrong and I've a few friends who prefer young raw be it plantation or not. If you fall into this category, collecting will leave you with aged raw instead so there is not much point in collecting since young raw puerh will be produced every year so you just buy the ones you like and drink along the way.

Discover your preference, do not buy for the sake of buying but if you're buying within your means then I guess you have every right to do so. The most important thing is to enjoy the moment, the tea, the companionship that comes along with it and the process of learning.

Jul 20th, '11, 00:57

by chrl42 » Jul 20th, '11, 00:57

Shi Kun Mu is a very authorative figure, at least in Korea, along with Chen Zhi Tong and Deng Shi Hai (they are all Taiwanese), with his book 經典普洱 (Classic Puerh), many Puerh sellers own at least one of his books..

he supervised huge factories (Dayi, Changtai etc) to come up with his editions..I don't know if he has his own brand now.. :)

and he left some fascinating quotes, like
茶不會騙人,只有人在騙人,或者你還不懂......,人生中學習是要付出代價的!
"tea doesn't lie, but it's people who lie or maybe you just don't understand....in lifetime, study is what pays a tuition!"

Jul 20th, '11, 03:22

by bearsbearsbears » Jul 20th, '11, 03:22

sp1key wrote:eg.I've been to shops (china) recently who are reluctant to sell any 2011 dayi yiwu in 'cakes', some shops offer tongs others will only sell in box. They're not even willing to open a cake just for sampling purposes...
This was my experience this year, as well. At the two shops that actually stocked 2011 Dayi, none would let me taste them. One shop even said they only had one tong for sale because so little was released this year. This was several months ago, and the harvest being late, it's possible that was the cause of the delay.
sp1key wrote:On the other hand, 80s/90s/early 00s tea are already being consumed on a frequent basis by a large tea population so quantities are dropping as we speak, this drop in supply offers a support for price level while price increases.
My experience has me disagreeing with you here. Very little 90s/early 00s tea has been released; on the whole, the cakes from this period that are easily available for purchase and subsequent consumption are mediocre quality, or mediocre to poor storage, or "famous" productions that are really expensive. If you're talking cakes with some notoriety, like YYX, the better stored "water blue label" cakes, etc., I agree there's price support from gradual scarcity. But there are a lot of teas from that era that haven't left collectors' storage houses.

Also, your point about the stock being the same 10 years from now is a good one, and one I hear MarshalN repeating often: check out taobao and it's obvious recent pu'er will not disappear anytime soon.

Jul 20th, '11, 04:56

by sp1key » Jul 20th, '11, 04:56

I think the reason behind not having any sample was because the price of cakes are not cheap to start with and stock is just moving by the box. I don't think its due to smaller quantities being produced but instead controlled release of products into the market either by Dayi or its bigger AD who are holding majority of the stock.

Over here, 80s,90s tea are being consumed although mostly with some degree of wet storage.
You're right about lots of 90s/early 00s tea that havent left collector's hands and they're not desperate to let go either. Eg.96 purple dayi.
check out taobao and it's obvious recent pu'er will not disappear anytime soon.
.... and taobao is only a proportion of whats actually out there

+ Post Reply