Nov 2nd, '11, 11:31
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Yixing Prices and Online Places

by brandon » Nov 2nd, '11, 11:31

needaTEAcher wrote:After spending some time with Rishi's website, I just don't understand. All those pots are so cheap. So are they likely mass produced but genuine Yixing, or are the likely Taiwanese? Would a company as well known as Risha straight up misrepresent their product? I mean, duanni for $25?

I found what looks like real duanni to me here in Seoul for $30, but I don't know and I am too skeptical to get it...
These pots are mass produced, possibly for the Taiwanese market. I think they are fairly high quality for the price, but the sizes and shape are... "unfortunate."

Stephane from TeaMasters has been known to offer (and use) pots of the same brand.

Nov 2nd, '11, 13:21

by wyardley » Nov 2nd, '11, 13:21

brandon wrote: These pots are mass produced, possibly for the Taiwanese market. I think they are fairly high quality for the price, but the sizes and shape are... "unfortunate."

Stephane from TeaMasters has been known to offer (and use) pots of the same brand.
Yeah - they seem to be from 经典陶坊 (http://www.jdart.cn/), which I believe is located where #1 Factory was, though there are many studios there, so that doesn't mean much. FLT sometimes carries some of their pots as well. I'm not sure if they're slipcast or partially handmade with a mold, but I don't think the price necessarily precludes the latter option.

I think the quality is pretty good for the price - I just wish Rishi sold the jars still, and that they had some smaller pots -- they carry barely anything 100 ml or less in size. There is a kind of weird chemical-y smell from some of the stuff when you first get it - I'm not sure if it's from the glue used in the box or what. Some of the earlier stuff from that studio actually fetches a pretty high price on auction sites.

There may be different levels of quality with the same bottom seal, depending on the seals under the handle and / or lid, but I don't know any details about that.

http://www.jdart.cn/ShopMore.asp?id=4 and the pages after it shows the various teapots they have.

Nov 2nd, '11, 20:55

by David R. » Nov 2nd, '11, 20:55

I have purchased from Stephane what I believe is this pot : http://www.jdart.cn/showshop.asp?id=72 (baotai zhuni shui ping).

I use it for everyday loose puerh brewing and I am very happy with the result. The box it came in had an awful scent though, and Stephane told me to discard it right away and to boil the pot before use which I did. After that, no problem.

Nov 3rd, '11, 02:06

by needaTEAcher » Nov 3rd, '11, 02:06

This all makes sense. So please excuse a recap, to make sure I got it:

-Lower prices often mean lower quality, but sometimes real clay and sometimes even good quality for the price

-$30 duanni might be real duanni, just not as good as $200 duanni

-Rishi has decent pots

Thanks all! Learning so much... :lol:

Jan 2nd, '13, 05:15

by bagua7 » Jan 2nd, '13, 05:15

Is this the new pricing trend of high-end Yixing pots?

$10,426 USD

$4,491 USD

Recommended by whom? :D

$1,604,234 USD :shock:

Sweet Lord! I think I need to start investing in the stock market or marrying one of those billionaire widows with loads of disposable income. :lol:

Anyway, are those prices for real?

Source: http://shop71177814.taobao.com/

Jan 2nd, '13, 09:10

by MarshalN » Jan 2nd, '13, 09:10

The super high priced one is not real - it's just "I don't want to sell this"

Jan 2nd, '13, 16:34

by bagua7 » Jan 2nd, '13, 16:34

I see, kind of like a "cool" way of stating it. :)

+ Post Reply