Thoughts from a new Hong Kong bo lei drinker

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 29th, '16, 08:29

Re: Thoughts from a new Hong Kong bo lei drinker

by mr mopu » Jan 29th, '16, 08:29

Rui wrote:Slightly more moderate than you. Just these two cakes:

2006 TAE DaYi 7542 357g Pu'er Raw lot 610
2010 TAE Dayi 357g MengHai's Star Pu'er Ripe

But my fingers have been itchy for more since I saw what King Tea has for (re)sale.
Did you see the Flying Tiger cake from King Tea? John has a good selection of items. I have had no issues with anything I have gotten from him. He is also carrying the Menghai Mount Elephant shou and a newer, I think , Menghai Nannuo sheng. It was the first I had seen of the Nannuo one.

Jan 29th, '16, 08:39

by Rui » Jan 29th, '16, 08:39

mr mopu wrote: Did you see the Flying Tiger cake from King Tea? John has a good selection of items. I have had no issues with anything I have gotten from him. He is also carrying the Menghai Mount Elephant shou and a newer, I think , Menghai Nannuo sheng. It was the first I had seen of the Nannuo one.
Hi Mr Mopu

Yes, John is a very friendly person and keeps me up to date as to the whereabouts of my teas as they are coming via San Francisco way.

Would you perhaps happen to have links to these teas as I cannot find Flying Tiger, no Elephant at all?

The Menghai Nannuo, is it this one? http://es.aliexpress.com/store/product/ ... 93355b77d2

Many thanks.

Rui

Jan 29th, '16, 09:18
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 29th, '16, 09:18

Wow, those are some interesting sounding cakes, especially the Menghai Nannuo! Thanks mr mopu!

Jan 29th, '16, 09:38
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 29th, '16, 09:38

Jan 29th, '16, 12:28

by mr mopu » Jan 29th, '16, 12:28

Rui wrote:
mr mopu wrote: Did you see the Flying Tiger cake from King Tea? John has a good selection of items. I have had no issues with anything I have gotten from him. He is also carrying the Menghai Mount Elephant shou and a newer, I think , Menghai Nannuo sheng. It was the first I had seen of the Nannuo one.
Hi Mr Mopu

Yes, John is a very friendly person and keeps me up to date as to the whereabouts of my teas as they are coming via San Francisco way.

Would you perhaps happen to have links to these teas as I cannot find Flying Tiger, no Elephant at all.

The Menghai Nannuo, is it this one? http://es.aliexpress.com/store/product/ ... 93355b77d2

Many thanks.

Rui
That is the Nannuo. JayinHK listed links on the others. The Mt Elephant and the Flying Tigers are shou. Tell John that you know John from Steepster and he will probably give you a discount. Email him with what you want and ask him for a price. The Postal System will be shut down over there for about 2 weeks for the New Year though.

Jan 29th, '16, 12:31

by mr mopu » Jan 29th, '16, 12:31

jayinhk wrote:Wow, those are some interesting sounding cakes, especially the Menghai Nannuo! Thanks mr mopu!
This is the new Menghai Legend cake.
http://es.aliexpress.com/store/product/ ... 37114.html
It may interest you as well.

Jan 29th, '16, 17:29

by Gianfra » Jan 29th, '16, 17:29

Hi Jayinhk,
I know drinking puerh with chrysanthemum is very popular in Hong Kong but time ago I spoke with a guy from HK and he said that they have found that this mix is not that good for health and nowadays it's not popular as it used to be. Did you hear anything about it?

Jan 29th, '16, 21:08
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 29th, '16, 21:08

I havent had that mix in a few years, but more because I don't like it! I haven't heard anything like that though.

Jan 30th, '16, 01:40

by Rui » Jan 30th, '16, 01:40

Thank you both for the links and info. I'll put them in my wish list and order them next month, probably just one of the shou. You guys are a great help in choosing teas that are usually unavailable in the west.

Jan 30th, '16, 03:28
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 30th, '16, 03:28

Drinking this:

http://www.chawangshop.com/index.php/re ... t/id/1144/

So good I just bought two more cakes and posted a review on Chawangshop's site. Really clean, tasty raw pu erh with great age and only slight humidity to it (that is not unpleasant at all). Exactly as described, but barely any bitterness at all to my taste buds! Also excellent cha qi.

Jan 30th, '16, 09:15

by mr mopu » Jan 30th, '16, 09:15

jayinhk wrote:Drinking this:

http://www.chawangshop.com/index.php/re ... t/id/1144/

So good I just bought two more cakes and posted a review on Chawangshop's site. Really clean, tasty raw pu erh with great age and only slight humidity to it (that is not unpleasant at all). Exactly as described, but barely any bitterness at all to my taste buds! Also excellent cha qi.
Have you tried the He Kai Gu Shu from them? It's an excellent one as well.

Jan 30th, '16, 11:15
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 30th, '16, 11:15

I just pulled out my sample of the He Kai now...quite nice. How do you think this stuff will age? It's already quite smooth drinking and it has that good gu shu flavor that I love. Still quite smokey but not unpleasant...really quite nice.

Infusion 2 is wild flowers and wild honey with pleasant, light hui gan and a little bitterness. I really like this tea and could drink it as is!

Jan 30th, '16, 11:49

by mr mopu » Jan 30th, '16, 11:49

jayinhk wrote:I just pulled out my sample of the He Kai now...quite nice. How do you think this stuff will age? It's already quite smooth drinking and it has that good gu shu flavor that I love. Still quite smokey but not unpleasant...really quite nice.

Infusion 2 is wild flowers and wild honey with pleasant, light hui gan and a little bitterness. I really like this tea and could drink it as is!
I don't know if mine will last long enough to age. I get cotton candy from this one. I should have bought a tong. Oh well, maybe after tax time.

Jan 30th, '16, 12:38
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 30th, '16, 12:38

Ah, you posted a review on chawangshop's website, didn't you? Interesting that you got cotton candy. I can kind of see that--not what I'd call it, but I understand. To me it tastes deeper, like wildflowers and wildflower honey. Either way, I enjoy it, but I don't know how well it would age. Chawang definitely has some nice offerings though!

Jan 30th, '16, 15:51

by mr mopu » Jan 30th, '16, 15:51

jayinhk wrote:Ah, you posted a review on chawangshop's website, didn't you? Interesting that you got cotton candy. I can kind of see that--not what I'd call it, but I understand. To me it tastes deeper, like wildflowers and wildflower honey. Either way, I enjoy it, but I don't know how well it would age. Chawang definitely has some nice offerings though!
Yep, I have been caught! Guilty! :D

+ Post Reply