What is your favourite Yixing teapot shape?

De Zhong
3%
Duo Qiu
6%
Fang Gu
8%
Han Bian
No votes
Liu Fang
No votes
Li Xing
3%
Qing Quan
No votes
Rou Bian
No votes
Rong Tian
No votes
Shi Piao
5%
Shui Ping/Biao Zhun
40%
Tai Jian
2%
Tseng Lan
No votes
Wen Dan
2%
Xi Shi
31%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 62

Jul 23rd, '19, 20:47

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by FBee » Jul 23rd, '19, 20:47

Spanky wrote:
FBee wrote:
Spanky wrote: I am still learning the shapes but so far Shui Ping is my favorite :mrgreen: lOL[/b]
To be nit-picky, Shuiping is not a shape in itself, it means water-balanced, which most pots are anyways, as otherwise water would run out... but we all know what you mean :mrgreen:
Hi BOK,

What is the name of that shape then? Or si there no name for it??

Also I thought it meant the pot would float and balance in a bowl of water due to good symmetry..
It can float, but not all do. It’s really more about geometry and alignments.

The pot you like is referred to as Biaoazhun Shuiping or Standard Shuiping. But Shuiping is what most people use

Jul 23rd, '19, 22:50

by TEAMOOD » Jul 23rd, '19, 22:50

A little story about the origin of the naming Shuiping.

Shuiping Teapot is one of the special models among all zisha.
On shape, it belongs to the round types, with surface-not- decorated with other techniques. Round body, circular handle, ball lid. On sizing, it belongs to mini teapot.

Its naming is connected to Gongfu Tea which has been popular in Ming Nan region of Fujiang and Chaoshan region of Guangdong.

When making a gongfu tea,fill the teapot with leaves (at quite full level), fill with hot water, put on the lid, place the teapot on tea tray/bowel/holder, wash the teapot with boiling water,by this way the aroma of leaves fully presents. the little one is dipped in the water, evenly and steady. That is how the name comes.

Aug 11th, '19, 23:53

by FBee » Aug 11th, '19, 23:53

TEAMOOD wrote: When making a gongfu tea,fill the teapot with leaves (at quite full level), fill with hot water, put on the lid, place the teapot on tea tray/bowel/holder, wash the teapot with boiling water,by this way the aroma of leaves fully presents. the little one is dipped in the water, evenly and steady. That is how the name comes.
I doubt that is where the name comes from... how do you explain all the other dozens of antique teapot shapes which all have the characters Shuiping stamped on the inside of their lids? An explanation in connection with geometry and the water level makes more sense.

Aug 12th, '19, 22:51

by FBee » Aug 12th, '19, 22:51

kukicha wrote: Image
This shape here is by far my favorite - i can't find a single decent yixing pot with this shape and lid style, though, and it's killing me. I've been trying to find one all year.
Just found this link from an 1980s version of this pot, even nicer!
https://blog.xuite.net/lkyuhua04/twblog ... 9%E8%AE%93

Aug 18th, '19, 23:43

by TEAMOOD » Aug 18th, '19, 23:43

FBee wrote:
kukicha wrote: Image
This shape here is by far my favorite - i can't find a single decent yixing pot with this shape and lid style, though, and it's killing me. I've been trying to find one all year.
Just found this link from an 1980s version of this pot, even nicer!
https://blog.xuite.net/lkyuhua04/twblog ... 9%E8%AE%93
It is not so difficulty to find it if you were in the local circle. Modern made ones for sure.

Aug 19th, '19, 00:56

by FBee » Aug 19th, '19, 00:56

TEAMOOD wrote: It is not so difficulty to find it if you were in the local circle. Modern made ones for sure.
What do you think where I got it? ;)

This kind of 80-90s stuff is very easy to find in Asia. Basically lying on the street.

+ Post Reply