Apr 24th, '14, 22:25
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: What is the difference in types of clay for teaware?

by brandon » Apr 24th, '14, 22:25

I would highly recommend networking with tea ware fans in your area to make some hands-on connections, even if infrequently. Holding a few pots goes a long way to improving your understanding.

Apr 24th, '14, 22:33
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Apr 24th, '14, 22:33

brandon wrote:I would highly recommend networking with tea ware fans in your area to make some hands-on connections, even if infrequently. Holding a few pots goes a long way to improving your understanding.
And you must definitely stroke it (inside too). :mrgreen: (make like it's the magic genie lamp :mrgreen: )

Apr 24th, '14, 23:10

by chrl42 » Apr 24th, '14, 23:10

leshka wrote:
chrl42 wrote:Before you ask that, you have to ask whether they are 'real' Di Cao Qing clay or not. The clay is quite scarce one mined from deep inside.

But you don't have to worry about Qing Shui Ni clay too much, the meaning just is 'pure clay' of sort :D
How can you tell if Di Cao Qing is real or not?
Simple, good potters will use good clays. Good clays were mostly used for master works or hand-made pots.

Very few potters use good clays to produce commercial pots. (though they exist)...and clays like Di Cao Qing....go figure. :D

Apr 24th, '14, 23:12

by chrl42 » Apr 24th, '14, 23:12

brandon wrote:

This teapot feels silky. That's a nice clay. What to call it? Up to you experts.
They call that kind of clay Hei Xing Sha, don't they?

Although I am far from any type of expert :)

Apr 24th, '14, 23:16

by kyarazen » Apr 24th, '14, 23:16

SilentChaos wrote:
brandon wrote:I would highly recommend networking with tea ware fans in your area to make some hands-on connections, even if infrequently. Holding a few pots goes a long way to improving your understanding.
And you must definitely stroke it (inside too). :mrgreen: (make like it's the magic genie lamp :mrgreen: )
cannot stroke too much, wallet will become thinner :lol: :lol:
taiwan is the best place in the world to go teapot stroking

Apr 24th, '14, 23:23

by brandon » Apr 24th, '14, 23:23

Thanks Chrl, you are our leading grad student, at least :) That clay name is new to me. I just like it.

Apr 24th, '14, 23:39

by chrl42 » Apr 24th, '14, 23:39

brandon wrote:Thanks Chrl, you are our leading grad student, at least :) That clay name is new to me. I just like it.
The pot looks gorgeous, many mixed Zini has that kind of quality, looks long-stored clay.

Talking about Fang Hu, I think those 80s Hei Xing Sha or Di Cao Qing, kinda heavy, dense clays give a pot more stable quality..thanks for showing us wonderful pot :)

Apr 25th, '14, 00:10

by Tead Off » Apr 25th, '14, 00:10

brandon wrote:Thanks Chrl, you are our leading grad student, at least :) That clay name is new to me. I just like it.
Beautiful pot. Can you show us the bottom seal and the interior bottom?

Apr 25th, '14, 01:12

by the_economist » Apr 25th, '14, 01:12

This. For information on pots, I usually depend on people who have stroked good clay. Reading stuff online can be useful but nothing beats first hand experience.

Brandon has excellent pots with excellent clay. I'd think that's much more valuable than knowing the names of clays.

Apr 25th, '14, 01:38

by chrl42 » Apr 25th, '14, 01:38

Names really came from Ming-Qing books, those Shihuangni, Tianqingni, Qingni, Lipini...all Qing dynasty calling.

during 8~90s, Yixing craze happened in Taiwan, the Taiwanese were naming holics, I've seen a list of Yixing clay written by Taiwanese, there were over 100 names and 20 within Zhuni itself. Most of names were taken by looking. Old collectors might not care about the names, they are already OVER it :)

However, Di Cao Qing or Qing Shui Ni is pretty formal term, taken from the specific areas they came, it's the terms used by potters, clay dealers, sellers, documented in books, museum, clay manufacturer etc Those names come from Yixing since 90s. I do know the Taiwanese are kings of old pots, but still the teapots are made in Yixing, gotta give props for both.

Apr 25th, '14, 01:52

by Alex » Apr 25th, '14, 01:52

brandon wrote:Guys, this stuff about ever more finite categories of zisha isn't going to help you learn to separate good teapots from not so good teapots. If I could offer something to a budding teapot fan who doesn't have one of these supposed experts on retainer, it would be to ignore color and terminology in favor of appreciating the texture. It can be hard if you can't feel the pot and the seller's photography is lacking, but I hope we can inspire them to do better.

This teapot feels silky. That's a nice clay. What to call it? Up to you experts.
cool pot.........does the flow of water come out square as well? :lol:

Apr 25th, '14, 15:36

by puyuan » Apr 25th, '14, 15:36

brandon wrote:Guys, this stuff about ever more finite categories of zisha isn't going to help you learn to separate good teapots from not so good teapots. If I could offer something to a budding teapot fan who doesn't have one of these supposed experts on retainer, it would be to ignore color and terminology in favor of appreciating the texture. It can be hard if you can't feel the pot and the seller's photography is lacking, but I hope we can inspire them to do better.

Dear Brandon,

Whoa.

P.s. Would you mind sharing the size and any more pics, if available?

+ Post Reply