"Cost-effective" puers for beginners?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 12th, '14, 01:37

Re: "Cost-effective" puers for beginners?

by BW85 » Jul 12th, '14, 01:37

Exempt wrote:
William wrote:
Do you really believe that experienced people drink XG Pu Erh priced 20/30 USD? I do not think so. :roll:
I know many very experienced tea drinkers that thoroughly enjoy older cheap xiaguan and drink it on a regular basis
Same. Plenty of people with mind blowing puer collections have cheap stuff to drink more casually. Cheap stuff can still be enjoyable, especially when you want to drink tea while in the middle of doing others things, and saving the higher quality tea for when you can give it your full attention and appreciation

Jul 12th, '14, 02:03

by Tead Off » Jul 12th, '14, 02:03

BW85 wrote:
Exempt wrote:
William wrote:
Do you really believe that experienced people drink XG Pu Erh priced 20/30 USD? I do not think so. :roll:
I know many very experienced tea drinkers that thoroughly enjoy older cheap xiaguan and drink it on a regular basis
Same. Plenty of people with mind blowing puer collections have cheap stuff to drink more casually. Cheap stuff can still be enjoyable, especially when you want to drink tea while in the middle of doing others things, and saving the higher quality tea for when you can give it your full attention and appreciation

If cheap stuff doesn't taste good, I don't want to drink it at all. However, occasionally you can find cheap stuff that tastes good. You will waste more money trying to find a bargain than buying better quality tea from the getgo. But tasting good is going to vary with the drinker. I have been very surprised at what some 'seasoned' drinkers think is good.

Jul 12th, '14, 10:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jul 12th, '14, 10:01

BW85 wrote:
Exempt wrote:
William wrote:
Older cheap stuff can be enjoyable/mind blowing. What I seriously doubt is the fact that teas made during the last decade, with a solid reputation and a glorious past, like these iconic products from XG, Dayi etc. etc., will be something that comes close to being good. In other words, XG tuos from the 92, well stored, can be more than great after 20 years; XG tuos from the 05, after 20 years .. I do not think so.

Jul 18th, '14, 10:26

by Potapka » Jul 18th, '14, 10:26

Okay, here are my impressions after a couple of weeks.

1) Tulin Phoenix 752 2007 sheng puer - very nice and smooth, grassy and full flavor, enjoy it very much, low bitternes and astringency.
2) Caicheng 2014 sheng "old trees", the one like shown here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Top- ... 84827.html#
Smooth, simple, easy-drinking puer. Good for guests with no special liking for puer and drinking while doing something. Surprisingly low astringency for its age.
3) XG TJ 2007 tuocha. Much bitter and astringent, strong hay flavor. I brew it on rare ocasions, when I want something stronger, and I tend to take less of it than when brewing any other sheng.
4) Caicheng purple leaves 100 g sheng - pure crap, plain and unpleasant taste.

+ Post Reply