Storing and aging puerh in NY

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 23rd, '15, 16:54

Storing and aging puerh in NY

by Grill » Jul 23rd, '15, 16:54

Recently purchased my first couple cakes after doing a bunch of sampling. I plan on buying more in the near future to start a small collection. I was wondering if anyone has experience storing and/or aging puerh in NY, more specifically nyc or long Island. I've read about pumidors and crock storage and they both look like viable options but maybe someone that has done either around here can give me some pointers on what's worked best in their own personal experience

Jul 23rd, '15, 20:50

Re: Storing and aging puerh in NY

by mr mopu » Jul 23rd, '15, 20:50

Allan K is in your area and having success with his storage I am sure.

Jul 24th, '15, 02:40

by PurplePotato » Jul 24th, '15, 02:40

Recommended: http://www.themandarinstea.blogspot.com ... orage.html. Visiting in person might be a possibility.

Possibly more important than the fact that you live in NYC is the microclimate of whatever house/room you plan on storing in.

Jul 24th, '15, 23:19

by Grill » Jul 24th, '15, 23:19

Thanks for the link. I think I ran across that at some point but couldn't find it again.

Probably going to store it on the top floor. Also always a little warmer up there and far away from the kitchen. Pretty sure I'll have to find some sort or humidity control for the winters due to it getting so dry though I might be ok during summer. Next step is to purchase a humidity meter or 2 and test out different parts of the house

Jul 25th, '15, 21:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jul 25th, '15, 21:56

I went the pumidor route. I've lived in pretty humid environments, but what matters is the humidity in your home.

When/if you run the air conditioning in the summer, that will lower the humidity. I've noticed my place runs 60-70% RH in the summer when I don't run the AC. And then when I turn it on, it drops down to 45-50% (which is getting pretty low).

I bought little humidity gauges after the winter was over, so I'm not sure exactly what the RH runs when I have the heater on, but given that it is very noticeably dry (to the point that I sometimes have to run a humidifier when I sleep), it is probably lower than 45%.

I keep the pumidor up at 70% in the upstairs, so it also stays generally warmer throughout the year.

+ Post Reply